What's the craziest thing you've seen while riding?

Bunkis

May 15, 2016
What's the craziest thing you've seen while riding? I know all of you have a story.

For me it has to be the time I was riding down a forest trail close to where I live, and saw a man yelling while attempting to chop down a tree. He didn't have any other equipment with him, no backpack, waterbottle etc. and there's no parking lot near it so he must have walked it.

I just shook my head and kept going.

I've seen so many weird things whenever I would ride outside our village. And one I remember was in the main road where I saw a container van parked by the side of the road. There were 2 men, presumably the driver and the helper, one is resting on the hammock attached under the truck and the other one is cooking with the use of firewood and stones for the stove. I stopped and asked them, they said they were from the other province and has been traveling for more than 8 hours so they are taking a break.

More embarassing than weird, but I've once seen two men carrying a large, old couch into the woods (their car was parked several meters from that place). They evidently wanted to dump it there, since throwing garbage somewhere in the forest or in the fields was popular in my hometown then, because people would rather spoil the nature than pay a dime for garbage collection. The problem ended only after the local government has made the fee for trash collection mandatory.

I saw some woman's water breaking, she was quite heavily pregnant so it didn't need like it was an early birth

But it was shocking nevertheless.

A dog just scooting his butt on the ground. Never thought I'd witness that in real life, EVER. I thought it was just cartoon material. Sadly, it could mean the dog has something wrong with his colon. :( I notified her owners. They claimed they would take her to the vet immediately. They better.

I saw a tiny canal that is a passageway for trashes and other dirty things. On its opening, there is a sign saying "No Entry: Clean water, Rats" on top of it. I thought it was really funny.

A pack of rats, around 8-10 in number just randomly crossed the alley I was biking in. Oh, did I mention 3 of those rats were about the size of a cat? Yeah, that was a nice start to my morning bike ride, lol.

I think the worst scenario I've seen was when I witnessed a pair of scooters being side swiped by a delivery truck, the truck does off while the drivers of the scooters including the back riders, are sprawled bloodied and unconscious in the street. I can only see one moving a bit but the other 3 were motionless. I tried to help but the police cordoned off the area until the ambulance arrived a good 30 minutes after. I later found out both drivers died due to head injuries and the 2 back riders were in critical condition.

I think the worst scenario I've seen was when I witnessed a pair of scooters being side swiped by a delivery truck, the truck does off while the drivers of the scooters including the back riders, are sprawled bloodied and unconscious in the street. I can only see one moving a bit but the other 3 were motionless. I tried to help but the police cordoned off the area until the ambulance arrived a good 30 minutes after. I later found out both drivers died due to head injuries and the 2 back riders were in critical condition.

I've never experienced this but I hate being in that position because I won't know what to do, try to help or just drive away to avoid any trouble. Either way, I'd be very conscious of my actions in the following days after.

Different countries have different trainings and orientations about road safety and driving in general, in my country many scooter riders drove their scooters at night while under the influence of liquor and this leads to many fatal accidents. While some race their scooters in illegal street races which often leads to accidents.

Different countries have different trainings and orientations about road safety and driving in general, in my country many scooter riders drove their scooters at night while under the influence of liquor and this leads to many fatal accidents. While some race their scooters in illegal street races which often leads to accidents.
Yeah, but drunk driving is also relatively more widespread across a lot of countries, which is why there's a lot of commercials and warnings regarding its dangers.

I think the craziest thing that I've seen while riding is I witnessed how one rider suddenly bumped on a post. I guess he's still practicing with his bike that time. The area is a very wide field and many bikers are there including me and my little sister. It maybe just simple incident but I can't help how he accidentally crashed himself with his bike. Good thing he did not get any serious injury. He got a scratch only.

At one time I saw a road accident where a truck collided with a van and the truck was filled with cases of beer,. The people who saw it run towards the truck not to help but to get a couple of cases of beer. Free beer for everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20180512_000732_109.jpg
    IMG_20180512_000732_109.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 25
More embarassing than weird, but I've once seen two men carrying a large, old couch into the woods (their car was parked several meters from that place). They evidently wanted to dump it there, since throwing garbage somewhere in the forest or in the fields was popular in my hometown then, because people would rather spoil the nature than pay a dime for garbage collection. The problem ended only after the local government has made the fee for trash collection mandatory.

That was not good in the sense that they would have burnt it instead of having to dump it in the forest which is a way that song used to destroy nature. When I ride, i have seen people that urinate right on the main road and that was against the rules of the government when it comes to keeping the environment fine.

Six bikers washed into Lake Michigan! I was a daily bike commuter in Chicago for years. My morning ride was long the lakefront from Rogers Park down to the loop. October was traditionally a sketchy weather month with high winds and big waves. None of us heeded warning signs put up by the Park District to NOT ride through waves and swells. I was usually running late and treated the waves as a challenge of skill and timing.

Wind was kicking up as I headed into the Oak Street Beach turn. Waves were lapping at the concrete but nothing too high or dangerous. Six bikers were ahead of me AND suddenly a huge wave rose over the breakwater AND washed all six bikers into the lake! It was amazing to see. I hit the breaks to a full stop. Several of the guys were trying to save their bikes in the roiling water. Within minutes a local TV station helicopter was hovering and eventually a Coast Guard chopper along with Chicago's finest on the scene. All of the bikers made it out but not one saved their bikes!

Six bikers washed into Lake Michigan! I was a daily bike commuter in Chicago for years. My morning ride was long the lakefront from Rogers Park down to the loop. October was traditionally a sketchy weather month with high winds and big waves. None of us heeded warning signs put up by the Park District to NOT ride through waves and swells. I was usually running late and treated the waves as a challenge of skill and timing.

Wind was kicking up as I headed into the Oak Street Beach turn. Waves were lapping at the concrete but nothing too high or dangerous. Six bikers were ahead of me AND suddenly a huge wave rose over the breakwater AND washed all six bikers into the lake! It was amazing to see. I hit the breaks to a full stop. Several of the guys were trying to save their bikes in the roiling water. Within minutes a local TV station helicopter was hovering and eventually a Coast Guard chopper along with Chicago's finest on the scene. All of the bikers made it out but not one saved their bikes!

This was really serious for I wonder what could have happened if they had issues with their lives as well. I'm happy that they came out safe and sound for that is the best thing for a man that is still alive can get a new bike in the future. What I would suggest is that we should always listen to weather warnings to avoid getting involved in any form of disaster.

Yeah, I can't remember what the final outcomes were. Chicago Tribune did a cover story on it but I can't locate it.

Totally agree on the potential finality of the situation.

Just like I said earlier, you should to be safe when you are out riding your bike in the sense that being safe is the best way to remain alive. Always check out be sure that the weather is ok before before you go on a ride.

I saw some woman's water breaking, she was quite heavily pregnant so it didn't need like it was an early birth

But it was shocking nevertheless.
LOL, this one really shocking. I wonder what happens to the baby, I hope it's still healthy after that.

Okay this is a weird one, it was 1994 and I along with a friend were doing some long distance biking and our destination was one of the peaks here in metro manila called Antipolo, it was an endurance run and it was all uphill called sumulong hiway and it was mid November it was a bit dark it was about 5:45 pm when we decided to stop and rest near a cliff and we were talking to each other when we noticed a group of 3 guys and 2 girls wearing all black at the end of the cliff like they where about to jump or something, in that place you could see the whole metro. Anyway we looked at the group and they noticed us and what was weird was they all stood up and look at us without saying something, we where about 30 meters from them and it was already dark and their eyes kinda glow like cat eyes or something, when one of them started walking towards us, we where supposed to go uphill haha we went straight downhill and ended up in a bar getting drunk. That was some freaky thing we just experienced. Their eyes glowed. Years passed and at times we would go back to that cliff but we can't find it anymore which was really weird.