What's the deal w/Blackburn Air Stik?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Spachman, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. I'm happy! I'm happy! I'm getting back into cycling after being away for about 15 years. I picked up
    an '03 Sequoia Expert yesterday and have been very pleased with it (over a whopping 15 miles).

    Today's ride was a definite learning experience -- my first fall due to clipless pedals (not hurt).
    Lost keys during fall due to pocket being unzipped (found by road crew). Popped a tube to a glass
    chip within a block of being home (walked the rest of the way).

    Once home, the tube change went fine. However, I wanted to play with my Blackburn AS-1 Air Stik.
    I'll be darned if I can figure out how to use the sucker. Does it work? Well, I can feel air coming
    out when I pump, but I can't get it to latch on to my tube's valve.

    I unscrewed the head and flipped the little gray plastic dealie around to the narrow hole side
    before working with it -- I assume that's the Presta side. I insert the valve (after unscrewing the
    tip lock) as far as it will go into the head of the pump, then I lift the lever as far away from the
    body of the pump as it will go to lock on. The hold is quite tenuous, and after 3 pumps, the valve
    flies out of the head.

    Is it me, or the pump? If it's the pump, any recommendations for a good mini-pump?

    Thanks, Brad

    Tags:

  2. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Brad Spachman wrote:
    > I unscrewed the head and flipped the little gray plastic dealie around to the narrow hole side
    > before working with it -- I assume that's the Presta side.

    Did you flip over the other part, too? There should be a rubber washer with through hold that is
    narrow on one end and wide on the other. I think you flipped that one. Under that should be another
    plastic thingamabob. A long skinny finger should protrude from one side. You put the finger towards
    the valve when using a Schraeder, but the finger should go towards the pump's innards when using it
    in Presta mode.

    That's a pretty poor description, but I bet if you take the cap off the pump again, you'll see
    what I mean.

    --
    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  3. Kyle.B.H

    Kyle.B.H Guest

    What he said.

    And, as a matter of techique, you may want to hold the pump head on the valve stem while pumping. I
    place my palm on the tire opposite the valve stem, and use my fore and middle fingers to hold the
    pump on the valve stem while pumping.

    Kyle

    "dvt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Brad Spachman wrote:
    > > I unscrewed the head and flipped the little gray plastic dealie around to the narrow hole side
    > > before working with it -- I assume that's the Presta side.
    >
    > Did you flip over the other part, too? There should be a rubber washer with through hold that is
    > narrow on one end and wide on the other. I think you flipped that one. Under that should be
    > another plastic thingamabob. A long skinny finger should protrude from one side. You put the
    > finger towards the valve when using a Schraeder, but the finger should go towards the pump's
    > innards when using it in Presta mode.
    >
    > That's a pretty poor description, but I bet if you take the cap off the pump again, you'll see
    > what I mean.
    >
    > --
    > Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  4. In article <[email protected]>, dvt <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Brad Spachman wrote:
    > > I unscrewed the head and flipped the little gray plastic dealie around to the narrow hole side
    > > before working with it -- I assume that's the Presta side.
    >
    > Did you flip over the other part, too? There should be a rubber washer with through hold that is
    > narrow on one end and wide on the other. I think you flipped that one. Under that should be
    > another plastic thingamabob. A long skinny finger should protrude from one side. You put the
    > finger towards the valve when using a Schraeder, but the finger should go towards the pump's
    > innards when using it in Presta mode.

    Dave,

    Thank you much for that tip. It's hard to follow instructions when you don't have any instructions
    to follow (bike shop installed the bracket, so I never got the packaging...). Flipping the pointy
    thingy inside was exactly what I needed to do.

    In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > And, as a matter of techique, you may want to hold the pump head on the valve stem while pumping.
    > I place my palm on the tire opposite the valve stem, and use my fore and middle fingers to hold
    > the pump on the valve stem while pumping.

    Yep. Makes sense to back the thing you're applying force to.

    Thanks for straightening me out, everyone!

    Brad

  5. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest