What's the deal with getting pulled over by the cops?

In aus.bicycle on 06 Jul 2007 04:01:44 GMT
Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:36:13 +1000, Terryc wrote:
>
>> You will have to be more specific.
>> I do not know of anywhere you could speed on a bicycle, unless you were
>> being an ******** through a pedestrian area.

> It's *easy* to clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and

Melville St.

50 limit.

I hit the brakes at 75.

Zebee

I've hit the low 80s going down Lilyfield Hill to the bridge by the Apia Club (Drummoyne). It's a 50 zone.

Of course this is just a rumour and is in no way to be deemed an admission :)

Scotty

Dave said:
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:36:13 +1000, Terryc wrote:

> You will have to be more specific.
> I do not know of anywhere you could speed on a bicycle, unless you were
> being an ******** through a pedestrian area.

It's *easy* to clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and
there are plenty of hills near schools as well, dropping the requirement
to 40km/h. "This guy I know" has hit 85 down a hill in what is nominally a
60 zone.

For that matter I'm fairly sure I've seen a flash off the cameras near the
Spit Bridge in Sydney, though it could have been reflected sunlight.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 07:38:56 +1000, [email protected] (Peter) wrote:

> If you read the legislation you'll see it only applies to people who
> have been driving a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel.

A man was booked a couple of years ago in Castle Hill (NSW) for being intoxicated while riding a horse.

Ah, so I didn't just imagine I remembered that...

Scotty

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:48:48 +1000, scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ah, so I didn't just imagine I remembered that...

Yep, and not long after a man was booked for using a mobile phone while in control of a horse and carriage.

On 2007-07-06, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
> On Jul 6, 10:59 am, John Tserkezis
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What if you continue to not pay? Do they take away your driver's licence
>> that you technically didn't need in the first place? You used to be able to
>> do some time (days) in jaol instead of the fine, but I've been told this
>> doesn't apply anymore. How are they going to squeeze the money out of you?

> If you don't pay, they hand it off to the SDRO (State Debt Recovery
> Office). You can thrash out a repayment plan with them, I think,
> otherwise they come around to your house and relieve you of

your kneecaps?

> goods to the value.

Dammit!

--
TimC
Rule 46 of the Oxford Union Society in London reads, "Any member introducing a

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: In aus.bicycle on Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:18:11 +1000
: TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
: > enough on a bike to be skillful enough to get above 40km/h on a
: > downhill (ie, not have your brakes on all he way down a hill), you're
: > almost by definition, skilled enough to be able to look out for
: > unpredictable obstacles such as other people.
:
: Dunno about that.... Being able to coast at that speed is just about
: not having a deathgrip on the bars and not feeling vulnerable. It's
: nothing at all to do with ability to see hazards and react properly.
:
: Just as driving a car divided into the ability to operate controls and
: the ability to see hazards and react appropriately. The two aren't
: linked in any way.
:
: > If it weren't for the kangaroos around dusk, the local mountain is
: > completley safe to ride at 80km/h on the bike, when it is speed
: > limited to 40km/h for motorised cars simply because they can't handle
: > the corners without the inevitable idiot ending up in trees, or over
: > the side of the cliff.
:
: What, and cyclists never lose control at speed or make mistakes?
: what never? no never!
:
well, hardly ever !!

ursus

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 07:38:56 +1000, [email protected] (Peter)
> wrote:
>
> > If you read the legislation you'll see it only applies to people who
> > have been driving a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel.

> A man was booked a couple of years ago in Castle Hill (NSW) for being
> intoxicated while riding a horse.

A man was once booked or being intoxicated while walking home too. But
he wasn't charged with having more than the prescribed concentration of
alcohol in his blood.

thefathippy wrote:

> But there's no requirement to carry ID when cycling - or walking. Yet.

You don't need to carry ID - the tinsel is always a dead give away of
who you are?

BTW what time is the BBQ tomorrow after the race?

Parbs

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 07:38:56 +1000, [email protected] (Peter) wrote:
>

>>If you read the legislation you'll see it only applies to people who
>>have been driving a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel.

> A man was booked a couple of years ago in Castle Hill (NSW) for being intoxicated while riding a horse.

Yes, you can be booked (in NSW at least) for being drunk in charge of a
horse or a bicycle. I think the old sobrietry (sp?) applies.

Dave wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:36:13 +1000, Terryc wrote:
>

>>You will have to be more specific.
>>I do not know of anywhere you could speed on a bicycle, unless you were
>>being an ******** through a pedestrian area.

> It's *easy* to clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and
> there are plenty of hills near schools as well, dropping the requirement
> to 40km/h. "This guy I know" has hit 85 down a hill in what is nominally a
> 60 zone.

80km/hr is brown pants territory in my book. I got over speeding on the
bicycle when I first started to ride. We'd use the lane out the back of
Yass St in young, NSW, Climb onto my mother bicycle (standon pedals and
hang onto handle bars) and pedal off downhill.

Many was the heart stopping[1] time that I shot out the end across the
next cross street and into the rest of the lane. Even with siblings
acting as traffic wardens.

[1] Mine and the drivers. {:).

On 2007-07-05, Dave (aka Bruce)
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:18:11 +1000, TimC wrote:
>
>> I've been on plenty of 100km/h roads where I would feel unsafe at
>> greater than 80kmh/h in the bike.

> s/bike/car/ ?

Nope. s/in the bike/on the bike/;

Most roads I've been on feel unsafe at 80km/h on the bike
(warrandyte's hill has a bump some length down making things a little
dicey at speed, and I always went much slower down when the road was
wet; blackburn hill just around the corner here has a hideous road
surface and I feel unsafe at 70km/h despite the slope being more than
enough to easily reach that, and the sight lines being wonderful), but
there are a couple of roads with particularly good surfaces that I
feel as calm at 80km/h as I do at 60km/h on the bike. If only I had
cycling glasses.

Those roads that I feel unsafe doing 80km/h are signposted at 100km/h.
As opposed to a little wee street out in the middle of nowhere in the
semi-rural areas to the east of Melbourne that was signposted for
40km/h for some unknown reason (no school or playground anywhere
around), where the slope was such that I was doing 0-60km/h in 4
seconds :)

(Despite feeling unsafe at 70km/h down blackburn hill, I do 75 anyway.
A friend tells me on his MTB, he thinks the world is going to end at
60km/h at the sweeping bend down the bottom where the road surface is
improved)

> And of course there's the fact that while 90% of drivers think they're
> better than average, that average is still pretty appalling!

Someone on my LJ friend's list thinks she is a good driver, and yet
seems to be constantly making stupid mistakes and damaging her car
(fortunately, no one else yet, which probably means that she is being
honest in saying she's better than average). I didn't quite know how
to tell her that good drivers don't txt whilst driving.

--
TimC
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

On 2007-07-05, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else find speed limits woefully irrelvant to the bicycle
>> (let alone when racing on a closed road)?

> Only in that most cyclists have difficulty maintaining even 40 km/h on a
> level road.

True. But then someone evaluates our speed, then proceeds to walk out
in front of us anyway, yelling at us to "slow down!" when we are doing
50km/h in a 60 zone.

>> I've been on plenty of 100km/h roads where I would feel unsafe at
>> greater than 80kmh/h in the bike. I've been on plenty of 40km/h roads
>> where I feel completely safe at 60km/h. Slow speed limits are not for
>> your own safety -- they are for the safety of other people, so you
>> don't crash into them and kill them. Yet, if you've survived long
>> enough on a bike to be skillful enough to get above 40km/h on a
>> downhill (ie, not have your brakes on all he way down a hill), you're
>> almost by definition, skilled enough to be able to look out for
>> unpredictable obstacles such as other people.

> Surely that same reasoning applies to car drivers? Actually very little
> skill is required to achieve 40 km/h in a car. You seem to indicate that
> skill is required to do 40 km/h downhill on a bicycle, (is this because a
> bicycle is _more_ unstable and dangerous than the car,)

No, because anyone who gets that fast does so because they have enough
practice to be able to not feel unduly nervous at such a basic task.
There would be a correlation between those who aren't nervous, and
those who have been cycling long enough and often enough to get over
such nervousness. And then, in turn, a correlation between those who
ride more, and those with more skill.

Not a perfect correlation, I will grant you.

> yet you say that
> cyclist should be allowed to do that but not the car.

No, I'm saying the speed limit is an overly general thing that only
really applies to one specific vehicle class, when it shouldn't be.
Trucks do get a slightly differnet limit than cars on a few roads, but
I wish my bus driver was enforced a different limit again. A general
speed limit can't take into account different vehicles limitations.
For cars, that's corners. For bikes, it's not the ability to brake
really hard. Still, I believe it's a fault of your driving if you
need to brake hard. The local paper had another traffic report this
week (it does most weeks), saying it was unfortunate that a driver hit
a cow. He went around a corner, and there was the cow. He had to
sweve and suddenly brake to miss it, but ended up side swiping it. I
don't believe the driver will be charged. Myself, I prefer to drive
around corners at a speed that means I can stop in time for the
inevitable roo that I can't see hiding in the bushes obscured by the
cliff face.

> I'm having some
> problems with your logic here. Doesn't a car also have better brakes than a
> bicycle and is thus able to stop in a shorter distance?

Part of being a better cyclist is to be able to better anticipate
things. The cyclist will put their brakes on earlier, offsetting such
disadvantages.

> I would think a 60
> km/h car zone should be a 40 km/h bicycle zone. Many cyclists have little
> control at 60 km/h yet even incompetent car drivers manage to safely do that
> every day.

Ha ha. Depends what you mean by safely I guess. I would beg to
differ, anyway.

>> If it weren't for the kangaroos around dusk, the local mountain is
>> completley safe to ride at 80km/h on the bike, when it is speed
>> limited to 40km/h for motorised cars simply because they can't handle
>> the corners without the inevitable idiot ending up in trees, or over
>> the side of the cliff.

> Ah, so speed limits are only there for idiots. Sensible people should feel
> free to ignore them? :)

Sensible people take into account of the limitations of their vehicle
as well as applicable laws. The laws shouldn't have to take into
account the lowest common demonintator, or if it does, it should do so
consistently. For instance, there are still 40 years cars on the
road. Hence the speed limit should not be more than 80km/h anywhere
on this contininent.

--
TimC
Conclusion to my thesis -- "It is trivial to show that it is

On 2007-07-06, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:

> We'd use the lane out the back of Yass St in young, NSW, Climb onto my
> mother bicycle (standon pedals and hang onto handle bars) and pedal
> off downhill.

You're from Young too!

I use to jump my 10 speed ``road'' bike down the stair at the High
School, I lived on Caple Street. We'd fling ourselves down the dirt lane
at the back of the house, across the street at the end, jump the gutter,
into the school grounds zoom past the Agriculture pen of the school and
hit the stairs at Oh My God! Km/h. I remember being able to clear the
whole flight (I don't rmemeber the times I came off!).

The other fun place to ride was the old mine tailings outside of town.

That old 10 speed must of been at the good end of the bell curve.
Despite all the abuse I gave it I friend of mine is commuting on it in
Canberra today (with the same wheels!)

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2007-07-06, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>We'd use the lane out the back of Yass St in young, NSW, Climb onto my
>>mother bicycle (standon pedals and hang onto handle bars) and pedal
>>off downhill.

> You're from Young too!

Was.

> I use to jump my 10 speed ``road'' bike down the stair at the High
> School,

Left in Primary School.

> I lived on Caple Street. We'd fling ourselves down the dirt lane
> at the back of the house, across the street at the end, jump the gutter,
> into the school grounds zoom past the Agriculture pen of the school and
> hit the stairs at Oh My God! Km/h. I remember being able to clear the
> whole flight (I don't rmemeber the times I came off!).
>
> The other fun place to ride was the old mine tailings outside of town.

Is that the place where the tip is/was?
Wombat Rd?

We also lived opposite some very eroded diggings that they were using as
the town tip.

that was before we went out to Wambanumba, then back into Yass St.

> That old 10 speed must of been at the good end of the bell curve.
> Despite all the abuse I gave it I friend of mine is commuting on it in
> Canberra today (with the same wheels!)

Ours was a back pedal break single speed 28".
My sister still has it,(but never rides it).

On 2007-07-07, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Joel Mayes wrote:
>> On 2007-07-06, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>We'd use the lane out the back of Yass St in young, NSW, Climb onto my
>>>mother bicycle (standon pedals and hang onto handle bars) and pedal
>>>off downhill.

>> You're from Young too!

> Was.

Same here, left 1st year of high school (and never looked back!)

>> I use to jump my 10 speed ``road'' bike down the stair at the High
>> School,

> Left in Primary School.

>> The other fun place to ride was the old mine tailings outside of town.

> Is that the place where the tip is/was?
> Wombat Rd?

I can't remember to be honest, there was a little sign there designating
it as a site of historic interest for tourists and a half arsed lunch
area. and a lot of eroded diggings and the occasional covered up mine
shaft.

A suitably dangerous place for a bunch of young lads.

>> That old 10 speed must of been at the good end of the bell curve.
>> Despite all the abuse I gave it I friend of mine is commuting on it in
>> Canberra today (with the same wheels!)

> Ours was a back pedal break single speed 28".
> My sister still has it,(but never rides it).

Now they don't make them like that anymore :)

Cheers

Joel

--

TimC wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote

>> Ah, so speed limits are only there for idiots. Sensible people
>> should feel free to ignore them? :)

> Sensible people take into account of the limitations of their vehicle
> as well as applicable laws. The laws shouldn't have to take into
> account the lowest common demonintator, or if it does, it should do so
> consistently. For instance, there are still 40 years cars on the
> road. Hence the speed limit should not be more than 80km/h anywhere
> on this contininent.

You've lost me there. Are you saying the speed limit should be what the
slowest vehicle is capable of? Surely it is not yet illegal to travel slower
than the speed limit. My dad has a 1926 Model T. It is 80 but I doubt it
could do 80.

Or are you saying that the spped limits shouldn't apply to you or me due to
our inate skills?

Personally I think we shouldn't have speed limits at all out side built-up
areas.

Theo

On Jul 6, 2:01 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:36:13 +1000, Terryc wrote:
> > You will have to be more specific.
> > I do not know of anywhere you could speed on a bicycle, unless you were
> > being an ******** through a pedestrian area.

> It's *easy* to clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and
> there are plenty of hills near schools as well, dropping the requirement
> to 40km/h. "This guy I know" has hit 85 down a hill in what is nominally a
> 60 zone.

Hmmm - I think I know the same guy. ;^)

HE"S EVIL. EVIL I tells ya!

Tony F

On Jul 6, 2:01 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> > It's *easy* to clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and
> there are plenty of hills near schools as well, dropping the requirement
> to 40km/h. "This guy I know" has hit 85 down a hill in what is nominally a
> 60 zone.

1/20 descent in the 'nongs or the other road we used to go down on the way home from wed night rides. It's signed 70 or 80kph which doesn't matter because we'd be going faster than both those speeds.
There must be tonnes of other places around the Dandenongs you can break the speed limit.
Also, Maroondah Hwy into Ringwood (both sides) is/was a 60kph zone which can be surpassed with a bit of effort.
I never got a speeding fine on a bike :( Will continue to work on it.. :)

On 2007-07-09, hippy (aka Bruce)

> On Jul 6, 2:01 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> > It's *easy* to
> clock 50km/h on a decent downhill on a suburban st, and
>> there are plenty of hills near schools as well, dropping the

> requirement
>> to 40km/h. "This guy I know" has hit 85 down a hill in what is

> nominally a
>> 60 zone.

> 1/20 descent in the 'nongs or the other road we used to go down on the
> way home from wed night rides. It's signed 70 or 80kph which doesn't
> matter because we'd be going faster than both those speeds.
> There must be tonnes of other places around the Dandenongs you can
> break the speed limit.
> Also, Maroondah Hwy into Ringwood (both sides) is/was a 60kph zone
> which can be surpassed with a bit of effort.
> I never got a speeding fine on a bike :( Will continue to work on it..
>:)

Greensborough highway (??) must be an optical illusion -- it doesn't
look that steep, but it is reasonably long, and we easily keep up with
the cars near the end of a BR(x), and occasionally faster depending on
the tailwind.

--
TimC
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation. -- unknown