What's the deal with getting pulled over by the cops?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bugbear, Jul 4, 2007.

  1. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    I thought because speedos are not compulsory on bikes, neither are speed laws enforcable.

  2. In aus.bicycle on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:34:24 +1000
    jur <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I thought because speedos are not compulsory on bikes, neither are speed
    > laws enforcable.

    Read the laws. THey don't say 'speedo reading' they say 'speed'.

    Your job to know what your speed is, if you need a speedo to know
    that, then get one.

    Zebee
    - who at first had a rather different image of "speedos on bikes"

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    not quite correct. You can e done for 'rideing under the influence'
    BUT supposedly you can't be 'randomly' tested'. They can ask you to blow if they think you are driving erratically or involved in an accident.

    Re speeding I am going to go out on a limb and say it would be almost impossible for you to be fined for speeding as a bicycle does not legally have to carry a speed-monitoring device. (something to ask about on Monday... :rolleyes: )

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Re speeding I am going to go out on a limb and say it would be almost
    > impossible for you to be fined for speeding as a bicycle does not
    > legally have to carry a speed-monitoring device.

    A car doesn't have to have a clock, but try using that as an excuse for
    going too fast in a school zone at the wrong time, or using an express
    lane, or parking in a clearway...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  5. flyingdutch wrote:

    > Re speeding I am going to go out on a limb and say it would be almost
    > impossible for you to be fined for speeding as a bicycle does not
    > legally have to carry a speed-monitoring device. (something to ask
    > about on Monday... :rolleyes: )

    If you're on a 'normal' road, you're classed as a normal road user, and as
    such have to comply with all the regulations assigned for motorcycles, cars etc.
    Complying with posted speed limits is one of those.

    Ironically, in NSW you must have some type of warning device (bell or such).
    It's in legislation, you can officially be fined for it (or lack thereof).

    What difference is a lousy bell going to make to drivers in cars behind the
    metal, glass and road noise??

    So I installed an air horn on my recumbent trike, mainly so I can scare the
    fscking pedestrians. Never had to use it on the road funnily enough...
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-07-13, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
    > In aus.bicycle on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:34:24 +1000
    > jur <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought because speedos are not compulsory on bikes, neither are speed
    >> laws enforcable.

    > Read the laws. THey don't say 'speedo reading' they say 'speed'.
    >
    > Your job to know what your speed is, if you need a speedo to know
    > that, then get one.
    >
    > Zebee
    > - who at first had a rather different image of "speedos on bikes"

    Mind is casting back to the MCC ad campaign. They weren't wearing
    speedos though.

    --
    TimC
    They skip the teaching of "8" and "G" in the public schools as part of

  7. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Re speeding I am going to go out on a limb and say it would be almost
    > impossible for you to be fined for speeding as a bicycle does not
    > legally have to carry a speed-monitoring device. (something to ask
    > about on Monday... :rolleyes: )

    I think going faster than the rest of the traffic might be a give away.

  8. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:57:19 +1000, Terryc
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    >> Re speeding I am going to go out on a limb and say it would be almost

    >I think going faster than the rest of the traffic might be a give away.

    You don't ride in the city?
    In peak hour, bikes are often faster than boxes.
    Sometimes bicycles are even faster than motorbikes!
    All within the posted speed limit.

  9. In aus.bicycle on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:50:18 +1000
    TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mind is casting back to the MCC ad campaign. They weren't wearing
    > speedos though.

    "is that an e-tag in your bathing suit or are you just pleased to see
    me?"

    Zebee

  10. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Jul 14, 8:11 pm, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I think going faster than the rest of the traffic might be a give away.

    > You don't ride in the city?
    > In peak hour, bikes are often faster than boxes.
    > Sometimes bicycles are even faster than motorbikes!
    > All within the posted speed limit.

    The speeding risk for cyclists in Brissie is getting pinged for
    exceeding the pissy 10 kmh speed limit on the Goodwill Bridge and like
    places. They build this big humpbacked bridge and expect us to go
    about 1/3rd of the natural speed. There are black skid marks all over
    the surface that people blame on "dangerous" cyclists, but in fact
    they are from 'bladers. Pffft. Fortunately we can take refuge in the
    fact that breaking road rules here is a pastime way of life motorists.
    60 means 60? Try 75. Orange means try to stop? No, it means speed up.
    Bloody convict settlement.

    Donga

  11. Peter

    Peter Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ghostgum Wrote:
    > > But the rules for 0.05% only apply to drivers of a motor vehicle. So
    > > they would have to use some other traffic infringement such as not
    > > being in control of the vehicle (i.e. same sort of rule you would use
    > > for a horse rider).

    > not quite correct. You can e done for 'rideing under the influence'
    > BUT supposedly you can't be 'randomly' tested'. They can ask you to
    > blow if they think you are driving erratically or involved in an
    > accident.

    They can ask you, and you can refuse to provide a breath sample. There's
    no requirement for you to do so. The police can use other means to
    determine whether you are under the influence.

  12. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    jur wrote:
    > I thought because speedos are not compulsory on bikes, neither are
    > speed laws enforcable.

    No. Speedos are also not required on motorcycles under a specific engine
    size (99cc, I think) but you're still not allowed to exceed the posted
    limits. OTOH, if you have a small motorcycle and it came with a speedo from
    new, you're not allowed to remove it.

    I don't know if there are any rules for bicycles that were sold new with a
    speedo.

    Theo