What's the dif between Rock Shox Red Rum and Rock Shox 15 wt Oil?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, May 22, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    This might be a silly question, but I'm about to change the oil in my SIDs and the manual says to
    put 100cc of Rock Shox 15 weight oil in the right leg and 10 cc of Rock Shox Red Rum in the left.

    Whats the dif? cant I just go buy some 15 weight motorcycle fork oil as was suggested on this group
    last week and use that for both?

    If not, is there a generic RedRum alternative? ie can I buy something else that will work just as
    well without the RockShox price?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > This might be a silly question, but I'm about to change
    the oil in my SIDs
    > and the manual says to put 100cc of Rock Shox 15 weight
    oil in the right leg
    > and 10 cc of Rock Shox Red Rum in the left.
    >
    > Whats the dif? cant I just go buy some 15 weight
    motorcycle fork oil as was
    > suggested on this group last week and use that for both?
    >
    > If not, is there a generic RedRum alternative? ie can I
    buy something else
    > that will work just as well without the RockShox price?

    Most bike shops sell fork oil -- Finish Line, Pedros, whatever. It may or may not be cheaper than
    Rockshox'. A motorcycle shop might be cheaper -- just ask for fork oil, in 10w and 15w. However,
    most motorcycles use 20w+, and lighter viscosities can be hard to find. Motocross specialty shops
    are more likely to have the lighter oils.

    Some auto parts stores sell Castrol LHM, a plain 10w hydraulic oil for cars and trucks with
    adjustable suspensions, like old Citroens. It's $2-3 a quart, and should should work fine. Other
    generic hydraulic oil, such as for forklifts and garage lifts, is available in these viscosities
    too. However, suspension-specific oil has anti-foaming additives that may be key to good
    performance.

    I'm not familiar with the newer SIDs, but they may require two different viscosities if there are
    different dampers in each leg -- probably one for compression, and one for rebound. So using the
    same oil for both could upset the designed-in tuning. OTOH, you may be able to make up the
    difference with the adjusters, if you have them. I have a White Bros. cartridge in my Judy. They say
    to use 4w oil with normal springs, and 7w oil for stiff springs. I've used both, and there's no real
    difference -- 7w oil is just like 5w oil with the adjuster screwed in 2 more turns.

    Matt O.

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    thanks for the info, but I'm still wondering if red rum is something differnet to fork oil. My SIDs
    are two years old if that helps.

    anyone know the difference...

    > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > This might be a silly question, but I'm about to change
    > the oil in my SIDs
    > > and the manual says to put 100cc of Rock Shox 15 weight
    > oil in the right leg
    > > and 10 cc of Rock Shox Red Rum in the left.
    > >
    > > Whats the dif? cant I just go buy some 15 weight
    > motorcycle fork oil as was
    > > suggested on this group last week and use that for both?
    > >
    > > If not, is there a generic RedRum alternative? ie can I
    > buy something else
    > > that will work just as well without the RockShox price?
    >
    > Most bike shops sell fork oil -- Finish Line, Pedros, whatever. It may or may not be cheaper than
    > Rockshox'. A motorcycle shop might be cheaper -- just ask for fork oil, in 10w and 15w. However,
    > most motorcycles use 20w+, and lighter viscosities can be hard to find. Motocross specialty shops
    > are more likely to have the lighter oils.
    >
    > Some auto parts stores sell Castrol LHM, a plain 10w hydraulic oil for cars and trucks with
    > adjustable suspensions, like old Citroens. It's $2-3 a quart, and should should work fine. Other
    > generic hydraulic oil, such as for forklifts and garage lifts, is available in these viscosities
    > too. However, suspension-specific oil has anti-foaming additives that may be key to good
    > performance.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the newer SIDs, but they may require two different viscosities if there are
    > different dampers in each leg -- probably one for compression, and one for rebound. So using the
    > same oil for both could upset the designed-in tuning. OTOH, you may be able to make up the
    > difference with the adjusters, if you have them. I have a White Bros. cartridge in my Judy. They
    > say to use 4w oil with normal springs, and 7w oil for stiff springs. I've used both, and there's
    > no real difference -- 7w oil is just like 5w oil with the adjuster screwed in 2 more turns.
    >
    > Matt O.

  4. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    Redrum is Torco MPZ engine assembly lube, repackaged.

    Find a dealer that carreis Tocor at http://www.torcoracingoils.com/

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 21:16:54 +0100, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This might be a silly question, but I'm about to change the oil in my SIDs and the manual says to
    >put 100cc of Rock Shox 15 weight oil in the right leg and 10 cc of Rock Shox Red Rum in the left.
    >
    >Whats the dif? cant I just go buy some 15 weight motorcycle fork oil as was suggested on this group
    >last week and use that for both?
    >
    >If not, is there a generic RedRum alternative? ie can I buy something else that will work just as
    >well without the RockShox price?
    >
    >Thanks for any suggestions!

  5. Me

    Me Guest

    Greg,

    Hi thanks for the info about the redrum,

    curious, I've looked on the torco site and it seems that the MPZ engine assembly lube has the
    consistancy of grease rather than something I can pour into my fork.

    Am I looking at the right stuff? If so why is it sold in a squeeze tube.

    In any case thanks for the tip, if it turns out to be the same stuff, I think I'm on to a winner!

    by the way, here is the description off the torco site...

    MPZ ENGINE ASSEMBLY LUBE

    part number A550055

    Available in: .5 oz. Pillow pack/1oz. tube/4 oz. bottle/12 oz. Bottle

    Features & Benefits:

    a.. Magnetic attraction to iron and steel.
    b.. Stays put and won't let go of pre-lubed surfaces.
    c.. Soluble in motor oil, transmission fluid and gear oil.

    Product Description: A high viscosity lubricant with exceptional adhesive and cohesive strength for
    protection against scuffing, galling and seizure. MPZ wear protection chemistry is composed of
    liquid moly, phosphorus and zinc. These materials are accepted and used by engine manufactures
    throughout the world in factory-fill motor oils for break-in of new engines.

    Typical Uses: Recommended as a pre-lube for cylinders, pistons, wrist pins, plain bearings, ball
    bearings roller bearings, journals and gear sets. Formulated to stay in place during initial
    break-in period. Protects assembled engines from rust and corrosion during storage and shipment to
    vehicle assembly plants.

    d..

    "GregR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Redrum is Torco MPZ engine assembly lube, repackaged.
    >
    > Find a dealer that carreis Tocor at http://www.torcoracingoils.com/

    > On Thu, 22 May 2003 21:16:54 +0100, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >This might be a silly question, but I'm about to change the oil in my
    SIDs
    > >and the manual says to put 100cc of Rock Shox 15 weight oil in the right
    leg
    > >and 10 cc of Rock Shox Red Rum in the left.
    > >
    > >Whats the dif? cant I just go buy some 15 weight motorcycle fork oil as
    was
    > >suggested on this group last week and use that for both?
    > >
    > >If not, is there a generic RedRum alternative? ie can I buy something
    else
    > >that will work just as well without the RockShox price?
    > >
    > >Thanks for any suggestions!

  6. Hkek

    Hkek Guest

    >snip!<

    I'm going out on a limb here...

    I was just searching this group for the same issue related to my Duke 100 SL. I would suggest that
    Red Rum is automatic transmission fluid. ATF is an excellent fluid keeping seals in top condition.
    At the moment, I can't you which specific grade or type.

    Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? I need to rebuild this weekend...

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >snip!<
    >
    > I'm going out on a limb here...
    >
    > I was just searching this group for the same issue related to my Duke 100 SL. I would suggest that
    > Red Rum is automatic transmission fluid. ATF is an excellent fluid keeping seals in top condition.
    > At the moment, I can't you which specific grade or type.
    >
    > Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? I need to rebuild this weekend...

    It's possible. Some forks were originally spec'ed with 7wt oil because ATF is similar and widely
    available. However, ATF varies brand to brand between about 5wt and 12wt, and you never really know
    what you're getting. Around 7wt is typical, though. It's worth a try. Let us know how it works.

    One caveat -- using fluid with seal-swelling additives in a fork not designed for them may ruin
    the seals.

    Although it bugs me to spend ten bucks for a few ounces of fluid, it's worth not having to do the
    whole thing over.

    Matt O.