What's the difference between Bars

Matty1235

Jan 5, 2005
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing some new handlebars. I'm struggling to understand about the various Road Bars available. What are the differences and advantages of the Ergonomic shaped bars, to the Anatomic shaped bars and the original shaped bars, and does anyone have recomendations for each type in the £30-£40 Price bracket.

Thanks for your help in advance

Matt

Matty1235 said:
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing some new handlebars. I'm struggling to understand about the various Road Bars available. What are the differences and advantages of the Ergonomic shaped bars, to the Anatomic shaped bars and the original shaped bars, and does anyone have recomendations for each type in the £30-£40 Price bracket.

Matt

Sorry butbars are as personal as saddles : I might love this bar but you hate it .
Just don´t get conned into buying something that the shop wants to sell : most pros seem to prefer the old shape bars - LA liked shallow Italian for example - but they are difficult to find in the shops in cheap options ( look at the variations offered by DEDA for example then try to find them in the shops - I wanted the 250 but could only find the more expensive 215 ) lyf

Matty1235 said:
I'm looking at purchasing some new handlebars. I'm struggling to understand about the various Road Bars available.
As the previous poster said, bars are too personal to make recommendations. There are three measurements to watch (independent of "shape"): width, reach, and drop. The width is basic sizing: the old rule was about as wide as your shoulders. Reach is how far forward the bend is, i.e. the distance between the top of the bars and the curve in the "hooks" - that measurement works in combination with your extension to determine how far you have to reach for the brakes. The final dimension is drop, effectively the radius of the bend. Deeper bars mean you bend over further when you ride on the drops. There can be quite a range of different measurements between manufacturers. The best approach, short of a good bike fit person, is to use your current handlebars as a guide, decide what you either like or don't like about them, measure them, and go from there.

Start with your current bars. How do you like them and why do you want to change them? Or is it for a new bike?

Start with the measurements and characteristics of yours to shop around (and look at the above posts too). If you want unusual shapes, check the Rivendell catalogue online.

Two final notes:
– Some manufacturers measure outside to outside, others centre to centre. A 46-cm outside to outside is the same as a 44-cm centre to centre.
– To me, the most important characteristic is the length of the drop section. Most modern bars – especially the "anatomic" ones have a very short drop section. And I want it as long as possible...

Matty1235 said:
Hi,

Matt

Because I like to ride longer distances I found my hands would get tired of holding myself up on the round bars I had on my bike. I switched bikes and got an FSA Kwing bar which is ergonomic with a flattened section on the tops. I did find, with long rides that there was less pressure concentrated on one spot on my hands on the wider tops, which I liked. What I did not like was when I was in the drops the tops of my forearms would contact the bar. I found I would want a deeper drop than the Kwing bar had.

On my current bike I got smarter and got a bar with the correct width for my shoulders. That makes my arms fall on the hoods naturally and allows me long rides with less fatigue. My current bar is a Giant Racing carbon bar and I am pleased enough with its shape and drop.

I also prefer a shallow drop. Deep drop = sprinter style, no :confused:

Also, I dont want to get into a Carbon bar debate here, but I've been able to assemble GREAT bar/stem combos, that weight 350 to 400g for under $100 (ie. Cinelli Solida bar/Cinelli Ti. stem ). I just picked up a Cinelli Nerve 42 Black bar on Ebay for $27 shipped ! Great seller from Marina, CA. ........ he is the only one on Ebay selling Nerve Bars at a Buy-it-Now price........ I highly recommend !!!!

Also, recommend getting several hand positions on your bike- which can/does result in less pressure on the same parts of your hands + gives you an aero position. A way to do this is to incorperate a small aero bar(Cinelli Spinacchi , or ITM Boomerage-no longer produced.. but can be found used). They are inexpensive , and light weight. :)

Matty1235 said:
Hi,

Matt
It's a struggle to get really dialed in. I have a set of Ritchey WCS bars that are super comfy when I'm riding the hoods, but I really don't care for the anatomic drops (just too anatomic for my liking). The classic shapes feel the best in the drops (IMHO), but I find it hard to get a good position for the hoods. I picked up a set of 3TTT less XL's for this upcoming season. Shortish reach like the Ritchey, but a more natural feeling in the drops. I'll see how it goes this year with them.

it's interesting that traditional drops have made a bit of a comeback in the last few years amongst the pros, but it's still tough to find any in bike shops -- down here, at least