Whats the difference between front and rear innertubes-?

DougC

Guest
Heh heh lolz!
-Not a lot, as far as I know. What I am wondering about is disk brakes,
however.
I have a rigid-fork bike that has 51-mm disk mounts on the frame and
fork. The mounts both appear to be the same. This bike currently has rim
brakes on it and I want to put disk brakes.

....but I see that disks are sold in "front" and "rear" varieties. What's
the difference? I am aware of the suspension forks that use post-mounts,
but the only disk brake examples I have on hand (Avid BB5's) appear to
be made to either use the 51-mm adapter or screw directly onto the fork
posts, and the brakes I want to use are BB7's, which also appear to
mount the same way.

So what I am wondering here is, for this bike (that does not have post
mounts on the fork), should I order a front and a rear brake? Or should
I order two rears?,,,,Since the fork has the same mounting bracket as
the frame, I will need 51mm brackets for both brakes.....
~

Mine are exactly the same front and rear. Called TechTro Aquila. they
mount on the fork on the inside of the eyelets for them. The rear is just
positioned more up top and the front perpendicular to the ground.
They are on the GT Avalanche 2 but I do not know the width.

You could look at catalogue pics online to see if there is any difference
with the brand you want. Specs available there too.

nash wrote:
> Mine are exactly the same front and rear. Called TechTro Aquila. they
> mount on the fork on the inside of the eyelets for them. The rear is just
> positioned more up top and the front perpendicular to the ground.
> They are on the GT Avalanche 2 but I do not know the width.
>
> You could look at catalogue pics online to see if there is any difference
> with the brand you want. Specs available there too.

The SRAM/Avid website doesn't say what the difference between "front"
and "rears" is, and no online stores I've found say either.

On top of that, a lot of online retailers don't even bother to use
actual pictures of each variety; they will just have one photo of one of
the 160mm brakes, and they'll use that for the 185 and 200mm's also.
<:p
~

DougC wrote:

> Heh heh lolz!
> -Not a lot, as far as I know. What I am wondering about is disk brakes,
> however.
> I have a rigid-fork bike that has 51-mm disk mounts on the frame and
> fork. The mounts both appear to be the same. This bike currently has rim
> brakes on it and I want to put disk brakes.
>
> ...but I see that disks are sold in "front" and "rear" varieties. What's
> the difference? I am aware of the suspension forks that use post-mounts,
> but the only disk brake examples I have on hand (Avid BB5's) appear to
> be made to either use the 51-mm adapter or screw directly onto the fork
> posts, and the brakes I want to use are BB7's, which also appear to
> mount the same way.
>
> So what I am wondering here is, for this bike (that does not have post
> mounts on the fork), should I order a front and a rear brake? Or should
> I order two rears?,,,,Since the fork has the same mounting bracket as
> the frame, I will need 51mm brackets for both brakes.....
> ~

Most disk brakes come pre-bleed, ie hoses have been cut and fitted
between brake lever and caliper to allow for quick installation.
Therefore the front and rear difference is the hose length, longer for
the rear than the front. If you bought a 'rear' labeled brake to fit to
the front you'll have a couple feet of extra hose hanging around. The
only problem is if you don't want the standard right-rear left-front
brake configuration. I prefer mine english style with the right brake
lever activating the front brake and so most US righthand levers are
fitted with a longer hose to reach the back.

You can ride with a bigger rotor up front than rear, but that just
means an additional mounting bracket for the front to compensate for
the bigger rotor. The calipers will be the same.

Rear ones get holes in them, because they're harder to fix.

DougC wrote:
:: Heh heh lolz!
:: -Not a lot, as far as I know. What I am wondering about is disk
:: brakes, however.
:: .....
:: I have a rigid-fork bike that has 51-mm disk mounts on the frame and
:: fork. The mounts both appear to be the same. This bike currently has
:: rim brakes on it and I want to put disk brakes.
::
:: ...but I see that disks are sold in "front" and "rear" varieties.
:: What's the difference?

My understanding is that the only difference between front and rear are the
mounting hardware.
There is an adaptor thingie that is different for front/rear.

I am aware of the suspension forks that use
:: post-mounts, but the only disk brake examples I have on hand (Avid
:: BB5's) appear to be made to either use the 51-mm adapter or screw
:: directly onto the fork posts, and the brakes I want to use are
:: BB7's, which also appear to mount the same way.
::
:: So what I am wondering here is, for this bike (that does not have
:: post mounts on the fork), should I order a front and a rear brake?
:: Or should I order two rears?,,,,Since the fork has the same mounting
:: bracket as the frame, I will need 51mm brackets for both brakes.....
:: ~