What's the difference between Saddle height and handlebars?

Doncantador

Mar 11, 2012
I try to figure out what will be the better position between the height of the saddle vs the handlebars. I tried all kinds of combinations but I didn't get a solid understanding of what will be the best one. In most of them I felt pretty the same in terms of comfort. Anyone there would know to tell what the common range of different between the two?

Doncantador said:
I try to figure out what will be the better position between the height of the saddle vs the handlebars. I tried all kinds of combinations but I didn't get a solid understanding of what will be the best one. In most of them I felt pretty the same in terms of comfort. Anyone there would know to tell what the common range of different between the two?
It's entirely dependent on the rider and the bike. There is no reliable standard.

YOUR flexibility & aesthetic sensibilities ([COLOR= #ff8c00]mostly, the former[/COLOR]) dictate how much differential there is between the top of the saddle & the height of the handlebars ...

AND, to some extent, the type of riding you will be doing ...

• for example, most commuters prefer a slightly more upright position ...
  • "racers" prefer lower handlebars ...
  • et cetera

The SHAPE of the handlebar's Drop may dictate how high-or-low your handlebars are set ...

• some people NEVER put their hands in the Drops ...
  • I generally base my handlebar height on a combination of BOTH the Drops AND reach to the Brake Hoods the latter is adjusted by the stem length