What's the difference?

Tech72

Nov 29, 2003
I've always been a bit confused by this. What IS the difference between the Mavic Ksyrium SSC and SL wheelsets? I know the Elites and Equipes are the lower line wheelsets but the original SSC and new SL? Different hubs? Rims? Spoke pattern? Weight? Road feel?

Thanks,
Tech72

Originally posted by Tech72
I've always been a bit confused by this. What IS the difference between the Mavic Ksyrium SSC and SL wheelsets? I know the Elites and Equipes are the lower line wheelsets but the original SSC and new SL? Different hubs? Rims? Spoke pattern? Weight? Road feel?

Thanks,
Tech72
I always wondered that as well -- but for your information and mine, I took a peek at my own new set of 2004 Ksyriums tonight and realized that the rims read "Ksryium SSC SL."

Of course, that doesn't answer anything about what those designations mean... come on, you holdouts. Someone around here is more familiar with Mavic wheelsets than Tech72 or me. Any answers?

I'm not 100% sure but I thought the SSCs were 2000 to 01 models before they came out with the SSC SLs. I think the SSCs did not have the "shaved" rims like the SSC SLs for 02 and 04. The rims were machined between the spokes whereas the SSCs were black and not machined. The SL desingation came out when there different price points in the Kysrium line SL, Elite...etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by cyclepath
I'm not 100% sure but I thought the SSCs were 2000 to 01 models before they came out with the SSC SLs. I think the SSCs did not have the "shaved" rims like the SSC SLs for 02 and 04. The rims were machined between the spokes whereas the SSCs were black and not machined. The SL desingation came out when there different price points in the Kysrium line SL, Elite...etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're right Cyclepath, I've been looking at old mail order cycling catalogs and looked around online and have gotten a slightly clearer picture of what the difference between the Ksyrium SSC from '00-'01 and the current Ksyrium SSC SL.

The main difference is the machined rims on the SL to save weight and minor change to the decals and finish. Both top notch wheelsets.

For the earlier poster, "SSC" stands for Special Service Corse, basically a "for racing" designation reserved for Mavic's high-end equipment.

Tech72

Originally posted by Tech72

Thanks,
Tech72

I found a website that actually had some literature on the SSC's - http://www.bikeusa.net/pages/mavic_ksyrium_ssc.htm - it's kinda hard to read. Hears what it contains:
*SSC - 740g front, 885g rear, profiled rim, SUP welded, MAXTAL, FORE concept, Integrated freewheel hub with new FTS L system adjustable, removeable, sealed cartridge bearings, aerodynamic zircal straight pull spokes with integrated aluminum nipples and anti-rotation system. 18front, 20 rear spokes, Radial front spokes, isopulse rear concept.

From the mavic website:
*SSC SL - 660g front, 840g rear... blah blah..

Outside of the machined area between spokes obviously making up for the weight difference, the descriptions are very similar. Mavic does claim a lighter front hub - composite bonded to aluminum.

Funny thing tho, I have a set of each - just got the new 04 a week ago but I have not been able to ride them yet. I like the all silver rim. My 01 SSC's have been near bulletproof - no racing but lotsa road riding.

Regards,

IanD