What's the earliest to start kids cycling (w/o stabilisers)?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dransfield, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Dransfield

    Dransfield Guest

    My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's the
    earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?

    Dransfield

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I dimly remember being on a bike without stabilisers around age 4. Get the bike w/ stabilisers, and
    after a few weeks raise them up so they don't hit the ground until the bike starts to lean to one
    side. If your son is not able to ride this way, lower the stabilisers and try again ina few weeks /
    months / years.

    The most novel teaching approach I've seen was for Dad to chase after the kid on roller blades,
    holding the bike upright when necessary (don't know if Dad got towed by the kid...).
    --
    mark "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    > with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    > the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >
    > Dransfield

  3. My youngest learnt to ride just before he was 4. It took about 15minutes of me getting totally
    knackered running behind him.

    The method that I've read here, that seems to be the most popular, is to take the pedals (and cranks
    if possible) off the bike and let him skoot on it to learn ballance. He will soon get the idea and
    you can put the pedals back on.

    --
    David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

  4. My youngest (aged 3 1/2) decided that he didn't want stabilisers on his bike any more so we took
    them off. Amazingly he jumped straight on a rode immediately!!

    And it was a fixed wheel bike!!!

    Made the old man very proud.

    Paul

  5. John B

    John B Guest

    Dransfield wrote:

    > My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    > with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    > the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?

    My eldest daughter rode at 2 1/2, the others between 3 and 3 1/2. None used stabilisers although
    they did have the usual kiddies tricycles. However, I'd avoid stabilisers if you can. They don't
    help a child to learn to balance and can cause problems on corners and rough ground. It rarely
    takes long for a child to ride without them. I don't think it ever took more than half an hour to
    teach mine.

    John B

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Took a whole 10 minutes to teach my 4 yo to ride without stabilisers...

    Lowered saddle so both his feet could touch the ground and took off the pedals so they
    wouldn't obstruct.

    Took him to the local park where there is a reasonably gentle slope and told him to go down the hill
    with his feet slightly raised and if he lost his balance to put his feet down. After about 6
    attempts he was able to correct his balance without putting down his feet. Put the pedals back on
    and got him to do the same, except with one foot on a pedal and the other to push off. Little tike
    starts pedalling down the hill like a demon with daddy chasing after him!

    After a few more of those daddy needed a rest, running down hill after speedy and carrying his
    bike back up!

    The harder part was getting him to replicate it on a flat footpath, he couldn't quite judge when
    his push off speed was sufficent, but we got there. He can now ride his bike to the park and around
    most of it, except for the hilly bits, thank god, as it's alot easier to keep up with him if I'm on
    a bike too!

    I read a similar article recently (think it may have been the US Bicycling magazine) where they
    stated that if the child can hop on one leg or balance and walk along a kerb then they should be
    able to ride a bike without stabilisers.

    Good luck!

    "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    > with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    > the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >
    > Dransfield

  7. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dransfield
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > We're thinking of getting a bike with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling
    > experience, but i was wondering - what's the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?

    Our youngest was under 4 but he thinks he was born on a bike! and it's so long ago:-(

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  8. Dransfield wrote:
    > My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    > with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    > the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >
    > Dransfield

    I think the answer is when they're ready, not how old they are.

    A couple of months ago my 6 yo son showed absolutely no aptitude for it. We took him down the park
    today for a ride and for some reason he shot off like a natural. We'd promised him a new bike when
    he'd learned how to ride, so it turned out quite an expensive trip. But worth every penny :)

  9. "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    > with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    > the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >
    > Dransfield

    I've liked the look of these

    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html

    which the blurb says can be used from age 2.

    Interestingly they come in MTB and race versions !

    Anyone got any experience of them ?

    Regards, Tim

  10. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Tim Henderson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
    >> with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
    >> the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >
    >I've liked the look of these
    >
    >http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html

    Yes, I like those as well, but I really can say I think the expense is justified
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  11. Ian

    Ian Guest

    chris French must be edykated coz e writed:

    > In message <[email protected]>, Tim Henderson
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >> "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a
    >>> bike with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering -
    >>> what's the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
    >>
    >> I've liked the look of these
    >>
    >> http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html
    >>
    > Yes, I like those as well, but I really can say I think the expense is justified
    They look great!

    Ian