What's the earliest to start kids cycling (w/o stabilisers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dransfield

My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's the
earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?

Dransfield

I dimly remember being on a bike without stabilisers around age 4. Get the bike w/ stabilisers, and
after a few weeks raise them up so they don't hit the ground until the bike starts to lean to one
side. If your son is not able to ride this way, lower the stabilisers and try again ina few weeks /
months / years.

The most novel teaching approach I've seen was for Dad to chase after the kid on roller blades,
holding the bike upright when necessary (don't know if Dad got towed by the kid...).
--
mark "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
> with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
> the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
>
> Dransfield

My youngest learnt to ride just before he was 4. It took about 15minutes of me getting totally
knackered running behind him.

The method that I've read here, that seems to be the most popular, is to take the pedals (and cranks
if possible) off the bike and let him skoot on it to learn ballance. He will soon get the idea and
you can put the pedals back on.

--
David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

My youngest (aged 3 1/2) decided that he didn't want stabilisers on his bike any more so we took
them off. Amazingly he jumped straight on a rode immediately!!

And it was a fixed wheel bike!!!

Made the old man very proud.

Paul

Dransfield wrote:

> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
> with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's

My eldest daughter rode at 2 1/2, the others between 3 and 3 1/2. None used stabilisers although
they did have the usual kiddies tricycles. However, I'd avoid stabilisers if you can. They don't
help a child to learn to balance and can cause problems on corners and rough ground. It rarely
takes long for a child to ride without them. I don't think it ever took more than half an hour to
teach mine.

John B

Took a whole 10 minutes to teach my 4 yo to ride without stabilisers...

Lowered saddle so both his feet could touch the ground and took off the pedals so they
wouldn't obstruct.

Took him to the local park where there is a reasonably gentle slope and told him to go down the hill
with his feet slightly raised and if he lost his balance to put his feet down. After about 6
attempts he was able to correct his balance without putting down his feet. Put the pedals back on
and got him to do the same, except with one foot on a pedal and the other to push off. Little tike
starts pedalling down the hill like a demon with daddy chasing after him!

After a few more of those daddy needed a rest, running down hill after speedy and carrying his
bike back up!

The harder part was getting him to replicate it on a flat footpath, he couldn't quite judge when
his push off speed was sufficent, but we got there. He can now ride his bike to the park and around
most of it, except for the hilly bits, thank god, as it's alot easier to keep up with him if I'm on
a bike too!

I read a similar article recently (think it may have been the US Bicycling magazine) where they
stated that if the child can hop on one leg or balance and walk along a kerb then they should be
able to ride a bike without stabilisers.

Good luck!

"Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Dransfield

In article <[email protected]>, Dransfield
<[email protected]> wrote:
> We're thinking of getting a bike with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling
> experience, but i was wondering - what's the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?

Our youngest was under 4 but he thinks he was born on a bike! and it's so long ago:-(

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Dransfield wrote:
>
> Dransfield

I think the answer is when they're ready, not how old they are.

A couple of months ago my 6 yo son showed absolutely no aptitude for it. We took him down the park
today for a ride and for some reason he shot off like a natural. We'd promised him a new bike when
he'd learned how to ride, so it turned out quite an expensive trip. But worth every penny :)

"Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Dransfield

I've liked the look of these

http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html

which the blurb says can be used from age 2.

Interestingly they come in MTB and race versions !

Anyone got any experience of them ?

Regards, Tim

In message <[email protected]>, Tim Henderson
<[email protected]> writes
>"Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a bike
>> with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering - what's
>> the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
>
>I've liked the look of these
>
>http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html
>
Yes, I like those as well, but I really can say I think the expense is justified
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French must be edykated coz e writed:

> In message <[email protected]>, Tim Henderson
> <[email protected]> writes
>> "Dransfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> My son's nearly 3.5 and wants a bike (with a bell, apparently) . We're thinking of getting a
>>> bike with stabilisers as he hasn't really had much peddling experience, but i was wondering -
>>> what's the earliest that they can cycle without stabilisers?
>>
>> I've liked the look of these
>>
>> http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html
>>
> Yes, I like those as well, but I really can say I think the expense is justified
They look great!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.