What's the farthest you've rode?

252.2 miles (405 kms) : Limerick-Dublin-Limerick, in one day.
It took me 13 hours and I did it in June 2003.

My longest ride in one day was 176 miles. I woke up early and just started riding. I took many breaks and spent a lot of time in fast food restaurants along the way. It was dark when I started and dark when I finished at night. I didn't set any speed records and woke up the following morning without a twinge of pain anywhere.

Sadly, my longest ride was only 53 miles. But I am still young and I have also just started riding.

135 miles - the "dunwich dynamo" plus a bit. its an overnight ride that takes place one weekend in july, from greenwich (of "mean time" fame to those not from england) to the lost "city" of dunwich on the suffolk coast.

it was ok as a one-off but i dont beleive rides that long can be much good for you. There is something so much more masochistic about long, slow rides over short, fast ones.

I have done 340 miles in a row, twice so far. I do a 160 miles tour several times a year, and 130 mile tours once a month on the average.

Rode from San Francisco to Los angeles this past November. We set out to do it in four 125 mile days (day four is shorter) We came up severly short on day two and had to muscle out 170 miles on day three to make it to Santa Barbara.

OCRoadie said:
What's the furthest you've rode in one day? For me it's 106 miles, I've done plenty of centuries but next season plan to step it up and complete my first double:) .
Well in recent history did my first century (100 miles) this past October at the Salisbury Seagull Century. However quite a few years ago road out so Sugarloaf mountain with club (90 miles) before lunch then went out on a training ride (75 miles) immediately afterwards (165 miles total).

OCRoadie said:
What's the furthest you've rode in one day? For me it's 106 miles, I've done plenty of centuries but next season plan to step it up and complete my first double:) .
265 miles during a brevet many years ago before I decided I really didn't enjoy riding such long distances that much and would stick to no more than 100 miles or so.

My wife has me way beat on this one, she once rode 408 miles in a 24 hour time trial.

this is the post that ive been looking for. mine is 81 miles on only my 3rd ride out on a road bike since my last one got stolen when i was in the 5th grade like 13 years ago. its also been about 4 years since ive climbed aboard the mountain bike. so im pretty proud of it especially since it was into wind gusting well over 20 miles an hour. luckily the wind didnt shift on me on the way back like it like to do but it did die down a lot so i didnt have a good tailwind either. the worst part though was the 30 miles that i encountered with no shoulders and way too much traffic that just wouldnt move over to pass. my nerves were fried. today would have prolly been my first century since we had a rare day of non existent wind but of course the parts i need wont be in for a few more days:(

i hope people keep posting on this subject and updating their distances

tttiltheend said:
265 miles during a brevet many years ago before I decided I really didn't enjoy riding such long distances that much and would stick to no more than 100 miles or so.

My wife has me way beat on this one, she once rode 408 miles in a 24 hour time trial.

408! Was this road or track? This is right around a record score.....

http://www.ultracycling.com/standings/timedrecords.html

O, for the record, mine is about 250-260.

chrome frame said:
408! Was this road or track? This is right around a record score.....

http://www.ultracycling.com/standings/timedrecords.html

O, for the record, mine is about 250-260.
It was on the road. This was about 15 years ago during a 24 hour race in the Midwestern USA. She did surpass the UMCA record at that time, which was then held by Susan Notorangelo but has since been eclipsed and now stands at 439. Her ride didn't count because although it was a non-drafting event, there were other riders on the course, and it wasn't sanctioned as a record attempt.

OTOH, it is my understanding that the UK women's 24 hour record is higher than the UMCA record, not sure of the particulars, but I know Beryl Burton did some pretty amazing things years ago. The UMCA is the parent organization of RAAM and only recognizes its own records.

About 65 miles (57 mile charity ride + there & back) last weekend, my first big ride. Not so great compared to all your 100++ but I really enjoyed it and have high hopes for a century next year maybe...

I had forgotten about this thread. An update since I started it. My new longest distance is 211 miles. I did it in June on the LA Wheelmen Grand Double Century (higland route). My new goal for next year will be to complete a brevet series, the longest of the three rides will be 600km or 375 miles.

200 km..ealing to the start (Hackney) of the dunwich dynamo (overnight ride) then on to southwold. It rained.:(

160 kms. That was our longest club race(a race club I belonged to in another city). I did that race 2 or 3 times over the years.

It wasn't a long distance but because I really knew little:eek: about doing distance events all I took with me was one or two bananas and one 600ml drink(probably cordial or water). Nuts. Now when I do my longest training ride(most weeks I do a 110kms hilly ride) I have 3 or 4 drink bottles(high carb) and 4 museli bars to keep the energy up.