Whats the fastest speed you have done

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:07:34 +1100, kingsley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:30:01 +0000, powinc wrote:
>
>> ps: What happens if you have a tyre blow out at high speed. I guess it
>> would be very difficult to control if a front tyre blew and not so
>> bad if the back tyre went??

>Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?
>
>I have, but that was after inflating my tyres with a petrol-station
>pump[1]. They did feel a bit hard, and would take pressure to 85psi,
>so when they went off like a gunshot 100m later, it was obvious
>user-error on the pump was the cause.

I haven't, but was riding with my sister when her front went off like a
gunshot. This was about 6 km into a ride. The tyre was rather old and
perished, but was carrying 60 psi at the start of the ride.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:15:06 +1000, "Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
>I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must say,
>it was terrifying.

64km/h down Victoria Street in West Brunswck, on my way home from work
almost two years ago.. The roundabout down the bottom of that hill is
always a worry at speed though..

PC

"Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
> I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must say,
> it was terrifying.

97 kph Foote St Templestowe. Caught a draft behind a 4x4 to over 80 then
sprinted past. The look on the drivers face was priceless. Can easily
repro 85+ with no car to draft.

88 kph on an MTB down the fire access trail on Mt St Leanords. At one point
the hill drops faster than you do and you leave the ground. I was riding my
modified for the road hardtail with a fair bit taller gearing.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in news:403f31aa$0$1921
[email protected]:

> [this thread has come up multiple times before]

That's because bragging is always fun.

My bests:

Off-road: 80km/h, Mastiles Lane, UK - a very steep but very straight dirt
track

On-road: 93km/h, somewhere in NSW on a Big Ride. Tandem, which helps a lot.

On-road solo: no idea.

Matt <[email protected]> wrote in news:403f45d7$0
[email protected]:

> Nick Payne wrote:
>>
>> A friend who
>> outweighs me by about 20kg did 104 down the same hill that day.

> Second or third time someone has said something like that... you don't
> accelerate down a hill any faster or have a higher top speed if you
> weight more.
>
> In fact you'd probably be slower on both counts if you weighed more as
> you'd likely have more frontal area, which equals more wind resistence.

As people get bigger, mass increases faster than front area.

The force pulling you down the hill is your mass * gravity. The force
retarding you is your drag coefficiient (which stays the same for a given
shape however big it is) times your frontal area.

So large objects do fall faster.

This can be easily demonstrated by dropping a range of animals of different
sizes from a high building. A mouse gets up and walks away; a human is
killed; an elephant splashes.

74.1km/h, Justs Rd, Sellicks Beach, South Aust... was going for 80, bu
I hit a pothole... got a bit rattled by that, and backed off. ;

After that, low 70's, Sellicks Beach Rd

-

96km/h

Adelaide Hills coming off Mt Loft

fair sh1ting myself and hit a bug. luckily i had glasses on (fo
me, not him

-

John Stevenson <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> As people get bigger, mass increases faster than front area.
>
> The force pulling you down the hill is your mass * gravity. The force
> retarding you is your drag coefficiient (which stays the same for a
> given shape however big it is) times your frontal area.
>
> So large objects do fall faster.

In an atmosphere though, not in a vaccuum.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

Bazza <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
> I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must
> say, it was terrifying.

Dunno, but I've got a computer now so I'll just have to find out, eh?

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious
piety, whereas a mere second gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for
outraged apoplexy."
Betty Bowers, http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

"John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in news:403f31aa$0$1921
> [email protected]:
>
> > [this thread has come up multiple times before]

> That's because bragging is always fun.

Hehe, of course :) I'll have to find a hill where I can hit 100 km/h now.
Impossible round here, unless they can asphalt the Koppenberg and remove the
farm houses from the bottom so you get a good clear run.

> My bests:
>
> Off-road: 80km/h, Mastiles Lane, UK - a very steep but very straight dirt
> track

Crikey that's going!

Jeff

> Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?

Funnily enough, I've had one go in my loungeroom. I'd just fitted
slicks to my MTB
(incidently, top speed on that bike 75kph on a steeeeep dirt road out
near Rawson. Guys at the bottom said it sounded like a car. Oh yeah,
NOT with slicks!)
and had inflated one to about 100psi or so. I was fitting the other
and I looked heard a strange creaking noise coming from the first one.
Slowly, like a balloon inflating, the tube was creeping out from under
the sidewall. It got pretty big and burst like a gunshot. I've had one
blow recently on the road, and let me tell you, inside it's a lot
louder. It also scares dogs.
My top speed on the road bike was 88kph a few weeks ago on the (a?)
road between Warrandyte and Research. I've been very (read:
irresponsibly) fast on my motorbike but 88 on something that light was
terrifying. Can't wait to do it again.

"blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?

> Funnily enough, I've had one go in my loungeroom. I'd just fitted
> slicks to my MTB and had inflated one to about 100psi or so. I was fitting

the other
> and I looked heard a strange creaking noise coming from the first one.
> Slowly, like a balloon inflating, the tube was creeping out from under
> the sidewall. It got pretty big and burst like a gunshot.

Yeah, great sensation. I had a tyre do this to me, but not indoors. The
bulging tube blew out about 10cm from my ear. After I picked myself up off
the floor it was about 5 mins before my ears stopped ringing and I could
hear again.

> My top speed on the road bike was 88kph a few weeks ago on the (a?)
> road between Warrandyte and Research. I've been very (read:
> irresponsibly) fast on my motorbike but 88 on something that light was
> terrifying. Can't wait to do it again.

You one crazy man! With all those curves and corners I'd buy a ticket in
Tatts.

Cheers
Peter

DRS wrote:
>>So large objects do fall faster.

> In an atmosphere though, not in a vaccuum.

Anyone mention riding in a vacuum? I guess it would make a poor VO2max
rather irrelevant! :)

&roo

Bazza wrote:
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
> I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must say,
> it was terrifying.

I've gone high 70s on a road bike before, but today's 73km/h returning
from Waterfall was the fastest I've ever *pedalled* in a sprint! :) It
helps that my smallest sprocket is a 12T now, compared to the 14T I had
before.

&roo

DRS <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> Bazza <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
>> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
>> I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must
>> say, it was terrifying.

> Dunno, but I've got a computer now so I'll just have to find out, eh?

50.5kmh this afternoon down Glenferrie Road on my hybrid. I reckon there's
a bit more left but not a lot, I simply don't have the gearing for it.

--

Bazza wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
>I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must say,
>it was terrifying.

I hit 67km/h coming down the road from Mt Macedon on my mountain bikes,
complete with knobby tyres and saddle bags.
Hate to think how fast I can go on a road bike there.

An irresponsible 86km down Woodland Way (detour off Norton Summit) after a
***** of a climb up ridgeland road.

"Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
> I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must say,
> it was terrifying.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 50.5kmh this afternoon down Glenferrie Road on my hybrid. I reckon

there's
> a bit more left but not a lot, I simply don't have the gearing for it.

Heading downhill towards the SE freeway,
coming from Riversdale Rd?

hippy

[QUOTE Heading downhill towards the SE freeway, coming from
Riversdale Rd?

hippy

hope those railway gates were open!:D :D :D

--

"Alex" <thebigjobs(at)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> An irresponsible 86km down Woodland Way (detour off Norton Summit) after a
> ***** of a climb up ridgeland road.
>

> "Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike.
> > I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was down a steep hill, and I must

say,
> > it was terrifying.

78.9kph starting at the intersection of riversdale and warrigal rd's and
heading down warrigal rd.
i regularly hit 75 but last week i managed to tail a container truck and
found myself needing the brakes:)
the hill is only approx 200m long? and doesnt have any driveways or side
streets leading onto that stretch