Whats the fastest speed you have done

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:15:06 +1000, "Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was
>down a steep hill, and I must say, it was terrifying.

64km/h down Victoria Street in West Brunswck, on my way home from work almost two years ago.. The
roundabout down the bottom of that hill is always a worry at speed though..

PC

"Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was
> down a steep hill, and I must say, it was terrifying.

97 kph Foote St Templestowe. Caught a draft behind a 4x4 to over 80 then sprinted past. The look on
the drivers face was priceless. Can easily repro 85+ with no car to draft.

88 kph on an MTB down the fire access trail on Mt St Leanords. At one point the hill drops faster
than you do and you leave the ground. I was riding my modified for the road hardtail with a fair bit
taller gearing.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in news:403f31aa$0$1921
[email protected]:

> [this thread has come up multiple times before]

That's because bragging is always fun.

My bests:

Off-road: 80km/h, Mastiles Lane, UK - a very steep but very straight dirt track

On-road: 93km/h, somewhere in NSW on a Big Ride. Tandem, which helps a lot.

On-road solo: no idea.

Matt <[email protected]> wrote in news:403f45d7$0
[email protected]:

> Nick Payne wrote:
>>
>> A friend who outweighs me by about 20kg did 104 down the same hill that day.
>
> Second or third time someone has said something like that... you don't accelerate down a hill any
> faster or have a higher top speed if you weight more.
>
> In fact you'd probably be slower on both counts if you weighed more as you'd likely have more
> frontal area, which equals more wind resistence.

As people get bigger, mass increases faster than front area.

The force pulling you down the hill is your mass * gravity. The force retarding you is your drag
coefficiient (which stays the same for a given shape however big it is) times your frontal area.

So large objects do fall faster.

This can be easily demonstrated by dropping a range of animals of different sizes from a high
building. A mouse gets up and walks away; a human is killed; an elephant splashes.

74.1km/h, Justs Rd, Sellicks Beach, South Aust... was going for 80, but I hit a pothole... got a bit rattled by that, and backed off. ;)

After that, low 70's, Sellicks Beach Rd.

96km/h !

Adelaide Hills coming off Mt Lofty

fair sh1ting myself and hit a bug. luckily i had glasses on (for me, not him)

Bazza <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was

Dunno, but I've got a computer now so I'll just have to find out, eh?

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody, barbarous torture in
gloating detail is considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second gazing upon a
woman's breast is cause for outraged apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

John Stevenson <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> As people get bigger, mass increases faster than front area.
>
> The force pulling you down the hill is your mass * gravity. The force retarding you is your drag
> coefficiient (which stays the same for a given shape however big it is) times your frontal area.
>
> So large objects do fall faster.

In an atmosphere though, not in a vaccuum.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody, barbarous torture in
gloating detail is considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second gazing upon a

"John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in news:403f31aa$0$1921 [email protected]:
>
> > [this thread has come up multiple times before]
>
> That's because bragging is always fun.
>
Hehe, of course :) I'll have to find a hill where I can hit 100 km/h now. Impossible round here,
unless they can asphalt the Koppenberg and remove the farm houses from the bottom so you get a good
clear run.

> My bests:
>
> Off-road: 80km/h, Mastiles Lane, UK - a very steep but very straight dirt track
>
Crikey that's going!

Jeff

> Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?

Funnily enough, I've had one go in my loungeroom. I'd just fitted slicks to my MTB (incidently, top
speed on that bike 75kph on a steeeeep dirt road out near Rawson. Guys at the bottom said it sounded
like a car. Oh yeah, NOT with slicks!) and had inflated one to about 100psi or so. I was fitting the
other and I looked heard a strange creaking noise coming from the first one. Slowly, like a balloon
inflating, the tube was creeping out from under the sidewall. It got pretty big and burst like a
gunshot. I've had one blow recently on the road, and let me tell you, inside it's a lot louder. It
also scares dogs. My top speed on the road bike was 88kph a few weeks ago on the (a?) road between
Warrandyte and Research. I've been very (read: irresponsibly) fast on my motorbike but 88 on
something that light was terrifying. Can't wait to do it again.

"blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?
>
> Funnily enough, I've had one go in my loungeroom. I'd just fitted slicks to my MTB and had
> inflated one to about 100psi or so. I was fitting
the other
> and I looked heard a strange creaking noise coming from the first one. Slowly, like a balloon
> inflating, the tube was creeping out from under the sidewall. It got pretty big and burst like a
> gunshot.

Yeah, great sensation. I had a tyre do this to me, but not indoors. The bulging tube blew out about
10cm from my ear. After I picked myself up off the floor it was about 5 mins before my ears stopped
ringing and I could hear again.

> My top speed on the road bike was 88kph a few weeks ago on the (a?) road between Warrandyte and
> Research. I've been very (read: irresponsibly) fast on my motorbike but 88 on something that light
> was terrifying. Can't wait to do it again.

You one crazy man! With all those curves and corners I'd buy a ticket in Tatts.

Cheers Peter

DRS wrote:
>>So large objects do fall faster.
>
>
> In an atmosphere though, not in a vaccuum.

Anyone mention riding in a vacuum? I guess it would make a poor VO2max rather irrelevant! :)

&roo

Bazza wrote:

I've gone high 70s on a road bike before, but today's 73km/h returning from Waterfall was the
fastest I've ever *pedalled* in a sprint! :) It helps that my smallest sprocket is a 12T now,
compared to the 14T I had before.

&roo

DRS <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> Bazza <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
>> What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was
>> down a steep hill, and I must say, it was terrifying.
>
> Dunno, but I've got a computer now so I'll just have to find out, eh?

50.5kmh this afternoon down Glenferrie Road on my hybrid. I reckon there's a bit more left but not a
lot, I simply don't have the gearing for it.

--

Bazza wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that was
>down a steep hill, and I must say, it was terrifying.
>
I hit 67km/h coming down the road from Mt Macedon on my mountain bikes, complete with knobby tyres
and saddle bags. Hate to think how fast I can go on a road bike there.

An irresponsible 86km down Woodland Way (detour off Norton Summit) after a ***** of a climb up
ridgeland road.

"Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> 50.5kmh this afternoon down Glenferrie Road on my hybrid. I reckon
there's
> a bit more left but not a lot, I simply don't have the gearing for it.

Heading downhill towards the SE freeway, coming from Riversdale Rd?

hippy

[QUOTE
Heading downhill towards the SE freeway, coming from Riversdale Rd?

hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

hope those railway gates were open!:D :D :D

"Alex" <thebigjobs(at)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> An irresponsible 86km down Woodland Way (detour off Norton Summit) after a ***** of a climb up
> ridgeland road.
>
>
> "Bazza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > What is your fastest speed you have done on ya road bike. I've hit 54kmh on my MTB , but that
> > was down a steep hill, and I must
say,
> > it was terrifying.
> >
78.9kph starting at the intersection of riversdale and warrigal rd's and heading down warrigal rd. i
regularly hit 75 but last week i managed to tail a container truck and found myself needing the
brakes:) the hill is only approx 200m long? and doesnt have any driveways or side streets leading
onto that stretch

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:49:58 -0800, blah wrote:

>> Has anyone ever had an actual blowout?
> Funnily enough, I've had one go in my loungeroom. I'd just fitted slicks to my MTB ... It also
> scares dogs.

Yeah I had the kids right behind it in the trailer, I ripped off the cover thinking they would be
terrified (3 yrs & 1 yr), but it didn't even wake them up... *shrug*

Funny, when you want them to sleep, a gnat's fart will wake them, but when it doesn't matter, a bomb
going off makes no difference...

It's all good.

-kt