What's the greatest unexpected benefit you've had from cycling?

Last night another benefit came to mind: knowing every back road within a 50 mile radius. I never get stuck in traffic on the highways or even on the more travelled city roads. I know how to get around all of it. Friday's are a nightmare on the commute home because of cape traffic so I just stick to side streets

For me it would have to be the weight loss. I started cycling for fun not for weight loss but I lost the weight I wanted to so it was a win win.

One unexpected benefit has been an improvement in my skin and looking generally more healthy. People comment that I have a glow to my skin. This is due to being out in the fresh air and better circulation.

Sometimes I wonder if biking along busy roads is all that healthy, with the carbon monoxide and all.

I started cycling just to avoid traffic when going to school. I didn't expect it to be a better substitute for jogging. I get the runner's high without the extra stress on my knees. Win-win. I also didn't expect to meet so many cool people who share my passion.

Losing weight and discovering natural wonders around me in my own neighborhood thanks to geocaching. Geocahin on my bike provides with these beautiful places that I have never been to. Its really amazing!

Yes it does do something really great for one's mindset. The outdoor exercise and contact with just being outside. The movement on the bike adds to it too. The thing that I was really happy with that I hadn't thought of until I got in it. What it does to your hamstrings. The backs of your legs that muscle just really shapes up. The quads of course they get hit by riding the bike. I am so happy with what it does for those hamstrings.

All the little back roads, back paths, dirt paths and back alleys I've discovered have got to be the greatest benefit I've had from cycling. I've found so many routes that take you to some truly beautiful places through cycling.

I started cycling out of necessity, and then grew to love it over time. I had expected the physical benefit, but, like you, OP, the mental health benefit was so unexpected. My overall mood and mental health has just improved so much since starting cycling.

For me, it's health benefit. Well, there are many health benefits of cycling that are scientifically proved. It keeps us healthy and that is the reason why I ride my cycle daily.

The biggest benefit actually was the quality time I have spend with my dad, my friends and now my kids, it's love to spend time doing what we live with the ones we love.

Since I started cycling a year ago, I haven't felt like I've exercised once! I cycle for the joy of it and never feel like I'm doing it as a choir. Also, I haven't been sick one day since.

Unexpected? A mind blowingly effective way to relieve stress, didn't think I can be de-stressed so fast for just cycling. Expected? Improved endurance and strengthened legs.

Yep, stress relieve is another plus. When I get on the bike I forget all of my concerns, so it's therapeutic. :)

Probably happiness, I can think clearly now.

But other than unexpected, the greatest benefit I have is my breathing, I'm an asthmatic and it's exercise induced, so exercise is pretty hard, but now my lungs are stronger, I feel like a normal person haha.

I can run for buses and cycle for way longer now without any breathing trouble.

Absolutely agreed about stress relief. Few things can help me relax as good as spring or summer bike ride. Of course, benefits for health in general are cool too, but frankly I never expected how much cycling would improve my mood when I cycle often.

All in all is something I love doing, so I get healthier, I send stress away, I know new places and so on.

I have a reduction in swelling in my feet and legs when I get out on a regular basis. I have heart failure which can cause pitting edema in the extremities. Cycling increases the circulation in the feet and legs which in turn helps remove the fluid build up causing the swelling.