What's the greatest unexpected benefit you've had from cycling?

the greatest unexpected benefit for me was how cycling completely alleviates my depresion and anxietey.
Most people just think of the physical health benefits and forget the mental benefits. As the old bearded guy said mens sana corpore sani.

Most people just think of the physical health benefits and forget the mental benefits. As the old bearded guy said mens sana corpore sani.
The line between physical and mental health is an imaginary distinction that many healthcare professionals are trying to get away from.

My feet got way much stronger pretty quickly, so I didn't have to focus on them at the gym. That's probably the one we are taking about.

Meeting new people and new friends. Maybe someday I might be able to meet my future ride some how in a future ride if I am really lucky lmao!

Yeah, like most have posted, it's pretty much with the mental health benefits that comes along with it. I feel great every time I finish cycling or even after I successfully conquer a strenuous and challenging hill. I've learned to not worry too much about the destination, but moreso the moment and what I'm doing at that exact time. That's what I think about.

For me it's the fact that, at 70, I can still enjoy this level of physical activity and do it well.

Hi all, for me it's the improvement in my mental health. I got on my bike for my physical health, but I'm realizing exercise is just as important for the brain as for the body. I've been on my bike for 3 weeks and in that short time my depression has significantly eased up (I have bipolar disorder, and have been going through a depressive episode for several months), and I'm feeling sharper, happier, and more confident. I wouldn't say it's all about the cycling, but it's definitely a big part of it :)

How about you?
You are feeling more sharper, clearer and calmer because of the chemical dopamine. Cycling and exercise release dopamine into your brain. Yes, it is true that cycling is good for your physical health as well as mental health. As I said, dopamine is good for your brain. I have also experienced many benefits. That's an unexpected benefit.

Not really unexpected, but for me it's always refreshing to cycle and that is why I do it over and over again.

Yeah, great that you mention that Bob, we can make friends and share awesome experiences with them.

Greatest unexpected benefit is definitely all the wonderful friends I've made.
This is something I didn't expect either, cycling is always shown as being something solitary but you would be surprised the amount of people that you meet.

I don't really want to say it was my health that I got as a benefit because I'm still in my 20's, so I'm pretty much healthy anyway. For me I would say it was my legs. Because I ride so many miles everyday, to and from work, my legs have gotten thicker.

I go to the gym, I love to squat, riding bikes have made my thighs stronger, which is good for squats.

For me it's the fact that, at 70, I can still enjoy this level of physical activity and do it well.
Cycling is something that anyone can do at any age. It's low impact so anyone can benefit from it.

The greatest unexpected benefit I've had from cycling is reduced anxiety. Cycling has given me more time to have fun and feel more free. I knew I would lose a little bit of weight and increase my stamina, but the effect on my mental health was a wonderful surprise.

I don't know exactly but probably... I've met a lot of very cool people along the way. That's what we all want in our lives. Group rides and hangouts were awesome.

Yes actually, while enjoying the pleasure that cycling gives to me, I don't even notice that I am actually doing good as well in terms of my physical health. It is a dual purpose. Nothing beats the fact that you enjoy on what you do and at the same time what makes you physically fit.

Well, an unexpected benefit is how I learned to be disciplined in other aspects of my life as well, be it in finishing work or just cleaning around the house, having a routine in cycling which forced me to be disciplined in order to maintain fitness has also helped me become more productive.

Expected benefit hmmm lost some fat, got more endurance and reduced my smoking from half a pack of menthols to 6 sticks a day.

Unexpected Benefits ... Made my legs and buns sexier:)

I'm improving my cardio or stamina right now. I was easily to get tired before, specially when going upstairs. And I become active in sports specially the cycling, because of my new friends in cycling, I often to travel right now using my bike.