Whats the most comfortable bike in the world?

Ray Plotecia

Guest
Friends,

I haven't asked this group for advice since Moses did the Red Sea Triathlon, but here it is.

I am now too old to give a **** about being fast, aero, or cool. I need a bike that is going to
preserve what's left of my back. I think I've narrowed it down to titanium or carbon, but then
everybody has their own soapbox.

Is there a group opinion?

Ray
--
_______________
| Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.
| _..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
" (@)'(@)"""*|(@)(@)*****(@)*I

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
- Albert Einstein

Any "Beam: bike. Softride is the leader in this field.

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Friends,
>
> I haven't asked this group for advice since Moses did the Red Sea Triathlon, but here it is.
>
> I am now too old to give a **** about being fast, aero, or cool. I need a bike that is going to
> preserve what's left of my back. I think I've narrowed it down to titanium or carbon, but then
> everybody has their own soapbox.
>
> Is there a group opinion?
>

> Ray
> --
> _______________
> | Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.
> | _..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
> " (@)'(@)"""*|(@)(@)*****(@)*I
>
> "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
> - Albert Einstein

I bought a TitanFlex from Tom Piskin last year and just love it. It's light, handles great, and has
the flex in the boom (or beam) I need to save the body. I had a professional fit done and have been
more comfortable and faster than ever. No complaints, no regrets!

http://www.titanflex-usa.com/

My brother bought a Softride TT Classic from Bicycle Sports last year and is very happy as well. He
was pretty "bouncy" at first, but is much better now.

Good luck, Drew.

[email protected] (Bill Wallace) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Any "Beam: bike. Softride is the leader in this field.
>

> "Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Friends,
> >
> > I haven't asked this group for advice since Moses did the Red Sea Triathlon, but here it is.
> >
> > I am now too old to give a **** about being fast, aero, or cool. I need a bike that is going to
> > preserve what's left of my back. I think I've narrowed it down to titanium or carbon, but then
> > everybody has their own soapbox.
> >
> > Is there a group opinion?
> >

> > Ray
> > --
> > _______________
> > | Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.
> > | _..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
> > " (@)'(@)"""*|(@)(@)*****(@)*I
> >
> > "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
> > - Albert Einstein

I'm gonna side with Bill on this one. Never really gave the Softride much of a chance until another
triathlete 'told' me to take his for a ride. He did warn me that I would become addicted to the ride
and he was right. Since building my first Powerwing a little over 2 years ago I have not only
converted a few other local athletes over to it's plush ride..but also decided I needed more than
one. If I'm going to keep loaning one of them out all the time I'd better have a backup or I'll go
into withdrawal. Not only will the bike eat road shock like nothing you've ever ridden it will also
show you where you're pedal stroke is weakest and maybe help get rid of some of the reason you have
back pain. Add a carbon fiber fork, maybe one of those new Gel saddles from Selle San Marco (I know
I'm looking for one) and if you really want comfort get yourself a pair of Spinergy Spox wheels and
you'll have the most Cadillac ride two wheels can provide. Don't know if it gets any better than
this but if it does I have yet yo find it. Happy trails.

kent

I'll vote for Softride too.....

I drove out to Shreveport about 18 months ago and test rode several bikes at Bicycle Sports. I fell
in love with the Softride in the first mile and bought it. It's a TT Classic with 650C Hed 3-spoke
carbon wheels. I don't have a bad back, but had done IM FL a few weeks before on an aluminium bike
with aluminium forks and felt pretty beat up in the last few miles of the bike. I did IM FL last
year on my Softride and felt great. I still love it and don't regret buying it.

Alan.

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Friends,
>
> I haven't asked this group for advice since Moses did the Red Sea
Triathlon,
> but here it is.
>
> I am now too old to give a **** about being fast, aero, or cool. I need a bike that is going to
> preserve what's left of my back. I think I've narrowed it down to titanium or carbon, but then
> everybody has their own soapbox.
>
> Is there a group opinion?
>

> Ray
> --
> _______________
> | Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.
> | _..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
> " (@)'(@)"""*|(@)(@)*****(@)*I
>
> "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
> - Albert Einstein

I vote Trek Carbon Fiber is great!

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Friends,
>
> I haven't asked this group for advice since Moses did the Red Sea
Triathlon,
> but here it is.
>
> I am now too old to give a **** about being fast, aero, or cool. I need a bike that is going to
> preserve what's left of my back. I think I've narrowed it down to titanium or carbon, but then
> everybody has their own soapbox.
>
> Is there a group opinion?
>

> Ray
> --
> _______________
> | Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.
> | _..._...______===|=||_|__|...,]
> " (@)'(@)"""*|(@)(@)*****(@)*I
>
> "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
> - Albert Einstein

Most Comfortable bike in the world is one that fits you..

Ray I think you know my opinion, but here goes.

I've owned a Litespeed Blade. I was very surprised at how uncomfortable I found titanium. It was not
very forgiving at all, and it bumped my butt badly (and hands and shoulders). Don't think I'll ever
own another ti bike.

I've owned a couple of Aegis carbon fiber bikes. They were VERY comfortable.

I've owned a Softride for years, and it was comfy, but as far as performance went, you kind of had
to "aim" it down the road and hope for the best.

As you know, I'm now on a Calfee. I still have the Softride. My wife rides it occasionally. I
haven't been back on it once. The Calfee is even more comfy than the Softride was. I don't
understand it. With the Softride there is no rear triangle, a big carbon beam sandwiching a rubber
band that you sit on, yet this Calfee is far more comfortable to sit on. Fewer road bumps, more
stable, and infinitely more pleasurable to ride from a performance standpoint.

I like it so much I'm considering a second Calfee built very aggressively for short distance
time trialing.

Ok, Mike.

I'm going to order a Calfee right now. Thanks.

Ray

--
| Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
- Albert Einstein

news:[email protected]...