Whats the most comfortable Selle Italia saddle?

ICEMAN1998

Jan 8, 2006
I'm looking to buy a new saddle for my Cervelo Road bike. Just wondering what Selle Italia saddle people think is the most comfortable for long rides

Chris

Selle San Marco Aspide FX. Very light, low profile, looks great, and is comfortable (for me). The Selle Italia Flite is also a great saddle. It is heavier and has more padding. I've done some three hour rides on it and it's just fine. I suppose it depends on what type a saddle you prefer....a minimal amount of weight and padding is what I prefer, but you may want more padding if that's what you like.

Hi

I'm using a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio, which is quite light, and not as long as other models I've seen, also the carbon rails give a bit so it adds to the overall cushioning. Durability may be a factor as the leather on top looks quite thin, but I guess this is how they keep the weight down to 140g.

Regards
Ken

ICEMAN1998 said:
I'm looking to buy a new saddle for my Cervelo Road bike. Just wondering what Selle Italia saddle people think is the most comfortable for long rides

Chris

I ride the SLR as well and I like it mainly for the narrow cut until you get pretty far back. I think it is a good shape for avoiding ED, which is now not a theoretical problem but a certain problem. I don't want any pressure on my inner thighs.

Its all about personal comfort and fit. for me, my flite kit carbonio was killing me, and i got the slr carbon, with no padding at all, and it hasnt hurt sitting on it yet, and its only 89 grams (weighed on a gram scale in a science lab at school). Ive had it for about 4 months and had it for a 112 mi ride. It wasnt uncomfortable at all. Like I said, its all personal.

actually, its all about comfort.... and no prostate pressure , I dont care if your 20 years old... or 50 years old, its a serious concern.

I personally ride(on my road + MTB) a Selle Italia Prolink Gel Trans-Am its got a elastomer suspension system w/Titanium rails. Its got the prostate cut out, and the flank of the saddle is wider then most saddles(flite, etc.)... which adds to the comfort factor, and quality leather upper. I'm pretty sure the saddle retails for about $90 , and weights about 320 grams.

This is the #1 most comfortable saddle I've found in the last 10 years of continuous riding. I still have, and have ridden 1000's of miles- the Selle Italia Ferrari Novus(Carbon + Vanadium railed) saddle- about 220 grams. Its got a nice shape to it... and the center is recessed a bit- for less prostate pressure(came out in 1994/5... someone in the industry starting thinking ;) ) , but still like the Prolink Trans-Am more... and but my booty thanks me after Every ride :)

ICEMAN1998 said:

Chris

The worst saddle I've ever tried was the SLR Gel-Flow. It is SO beautiful but, for me, was the worst saddle on the planet.

fit works with comfort, because I have ridden prolink gel saddle and for me it was worse than the flite I rode, and then i have a slr carbon with no padding at all, and its perfectly comfortable. Why? because it fits, and when it fits, it makes comfort.

Your choice depends on the way your "sit bones" are structured, Selle Italia make a number of different models, each with slightly different measurements.

For me, their most comfortable is a Flite Trans-Am Gelflow, followed up closely by the Flite Trans-Am and SLR Trans-Am Gelflow*

I also have a Prolink saddle on my commuter which I can stand for an hour or two, but any longer than that and I'll be rather unimpressed about everything and be making plans to buy another Flite :p

* the SLR was almost like torture for about a week, but then it suddenly came good, real good. Unlike most saddles, I found that there are only one or two "right" ways to sit on an SLR, which drastically improves comfort. (Need to sit on it kind of between where the rail meets the saddle, so that it's able to flex)

My Selle Viper on my OCR 1 is more comfortable than my Aspide Arrowhead on my Cervelo Soloist Team. But the Viper seat is heavy.

What Cervelo are you getting?

Postie said:
The worst saddle I've ever tried was the SLR Gel-Flow. It is SO beautiful but, for me, was the worst saddle on the planet.

And for me the best is the Max Flite Gel Flo, so go figure. I witheld a % or two of judgement, even after three months of painless use, until I did a 68-mile ride to celebrate my birthday--longest ride by far for me, thus far. Lots of discomfort from sweat in my eyes and fatigue, but none from the saddle.

My take is that if a saddle is going to do damage, it's in the latter third of a long training ride, when your legs are tired and thus taking less of your weight onto the pedals and off the saddle.

bernmart said:
And for me the best is the Max Flite Gel Flo, .

Ditto for me on the Max Flite Gel Flo. Second choice would be XO Trans Am.

As rek mentioned, sit bone measurement and intended use, performance and/or touring, were the drivers in my Selle Italia selections.

Adam-from-SLO said:
actually, its all about comfort.... and no prostate pressure
Prostate pressure? Are you sure you don't mean pressure on the pudendal nerves and vessels? Cut out seats often create more pressure on these structures than standard seats so make sure that they work for you before purchasing one.

patch70 said:
Prostate pressure? Are you sure you don't mean pressure on the pudendal nerves and vessels? Cut out seats often create more pressure on these structures than standard seats so make sure that they work for you before purchasing one.

Do you have a scematic of what your talking about ? I'm just going off what my LBS salesman told me. Blame the bike shop worker ;) Where do the pudendal nerves go to ?

ICEMAN1998 said:

Chris
Don't mean to be crass but as Jim Carey would say "talk to YOUR BUTT," only it knows for sure. Go to the LBS you bought the bike from and tell them you want to try out all the different saddles. Be prepared to spend the better part of a Saturday there riding and switching out the saddles. You will know what the best one for you is. You spent a lot of money on your bike they should accomodate with no argument.

Deanster04 said:
Don't mean to be crass but as Jim Carey would say "talk to YOUR BUTT," only it knows for sure. Go to the LBS you bought the bike from and tell them you want to try out all the different saddles. Be prepared to spend the better part of a Saturday there riding and switching out the saddles. You will know what the best one for you is. You spent a lot of money on your bike they should accomodate with no argument.

Actually, Specialized dealers have an "assometer" with which you can measure the space between your sitbones without your, or the salesperson's. motives being misconstrued. It's little more than a piece of closed-cell foam that you sit on as if it were a bike seat. You sit on it for a couple of minutes (yes, it does look like you're taking a dump), and the salesperson then measures the distance between the indentations. Low-tech, but it works. They'll then try to sell you a Specialized Alias saddle, which has a variety of widths, but you can use the info for anything you want. That's the process that led me to the Max Flite Gel Flo.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Do you have a scematic of what your talking about ? I'm just going off what my LBS salesman told me. Blame the bike shop worker ;) Where do the pudendal nerves go to ?
The pudendal nerves supply sensation to a VERY important appendage! ;)
Not to mention the fact that they control blood flow to said appendage and consequently control its "hydraulics".

Adam-from-SLO said:
Probably easiest to google "internal pudendal artery" or "pudendal nerve". They run from the sacral area then under the sit bones (ischial tuberosity) and to the old fella. If you get a numb old fella, that is due to pressure on the pudendal nerve. The concern is that too long spent pressing on the internal pudendal artery will lead to damaged blood supply to him also. Thus concerns about impotence but mainly in those spending > 4 hours per day on the bike.

patch70 said:
Probably easiest to google "internal pudendal artery" or "pudendal nerve". They run from the sacral area then under the sit bones (ischial tuberosity) and to the old fella. If you get a numb old fella, that is due to pressure on the pudendal nerve. The concern is that too long spent pressing on the internal pudendal artery will lead to damaged blood supply to him also. Thus concerns about impotence but mainly in those spending > 4 hours per day on the bike.

Gotcha !

The SI. saddle I currently ride(see above) does not give me ANY numbness at all 1-2-3-4 hour ride. The shorts/saddle fusion also does matter. Shorts that might bunch up in your crotch area.. will not help the situation any.

I wonder how much continued pressure on the pudendal nerve will/can cause a damaged blood supply ?

patch70 said:
Thus concerns about impotence but mainly in those spending > 4 hours per day on the bike.
Some people in the field maintain that ANY penile numbness is doing damage; I have had some bikes start to get me numb within 30 minutes.