What's the most important cycling tip you learned this year?

soloist

Nov 5, 2004
Trying to consolidate lots of useful information in this thread.

While riding my first bike with light weight racing tires I got a rim cut, about .5 inch long. I put in my spare tube, started pumping it up, and then heard a pop as it ruptured...after ballooning out of the cut. I didn't know a damaged light weight isn't sturdy enough to contain a tube under pressure. Ride was suddenly transformed to a forced march.

The solution is a boot, a piece of material to go between the tire and the tube. It has to be flexible enough to conform to the tire and sturdy enough to keep the tube from expanding through the cut. I cut some 2 inch squares out of transparencies used on an overhead projector. I've also read that some people use a section of an old tire or a folded up dollar bill.

It was my first real cycling year, so I learned a lot! Generelly - never give up!:)

In a short race (3hr or less) any time stuck behind a slow rider is lost time that you can never get back.

To ride in the top third of the group you are cycling in while in a race. This avoids you getting yo-yoed.