Whats the most impotant part of the bike?



eladbell

New Member
Nov 10, 2004
5
0
0
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.
 

WattsAMatta

New Member
Sep 20, 2007
31
0
0
59
This doesn't really answer your actual question, but it might give you something to think about if you plan to upgrade in the future...

If you buy a high-end frame with low-end components, you can slowly upgrade over time and buy the exact components you want and eventually you'll end up with your dream bike.

If you buy a low-end frame and high-end components, then not only would you need to do a big upgrade all at once, but there might be issues where your old parts don't fit your new frame, e.g., front derailer clamp, BB spindle length, stem length, seatpost diameter, etc.

-- Bryan
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
eladbell said:
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.
I would say that the frame is more important, since you can always upgrade components in future. Also, most people would agree that the Ultegra goup are very good components...
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
If you don't plan to keep throwing money at the bike, then balance the quality and level of all the components.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
eladbell said:
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.
For your $2000, you could probably do better than either of the choices you've described ... much better.

FWIW. I would say the frame is less important than the components UNLESS the geometry & fit are so far off that they don't work for you ... a reasonably good frame (i.e., one with good geometry) is something to hang the components on, first/IMO, and for show/'bling', secondarily UNLESS you are a sponsored rider OR an aspiring racer.

In that regard, you probably shouldn't bother with the Track frame if it is for toddling around town because you will probably find the geometry unsatisfactory for most road riding -- steep headtube angle (~74º) and short rake ... good for riding around a track OR for messengers, but probably fatiguing if you are planning any rides longer than a few miles. If you only want a "track" bike for riding around town, then look for a shop that sells BIANCHI -- there is a nice "starter" bike which used to be about $600 & a more expensive model which was about twice as much.

The Track/Pista frame will only have 120mm rear dropout spacing AND can only be use as a single speed bike UNLESS you put a Sturmey-Archer-type 3-speed hub on it.

KESTREL makes great frames, but the one you are thinking about (what is it, the 200 or 300?) + components probably only cost the original buyer a little over $2000 when it was brand new. The USED/out-the-door value is probably closer to $1200-to-$1500 ... maybe, less ... much less.

The USED Track frame + components that you described is probably worth under $800 unless it has some documented, historical provenance.

On eBay, almost every week of the year, you can get a superbe quality, USED Italian steel frame (if you are looking for quality) for under $1000 (probably, between $350-to-$800) ... add a NEW Campagnolo (Centaur) group for under $600 ... plus, some wheels & saddle/etc. ... and, you'll have the best of both worlds -- a quality frame + quality components for your $2000.
 

Mish

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
163
2
0
eladbell said:
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.
Had to jump in here. You can do a lot better than that on e-bay and craigslist, but don't discount the local bike shop.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
30-0744-WR-SIDE.jpg



Grips/Tape: Black CorkChain: CN-5600 10-speedSaddle: Fizik ArioneHeadset: FSA Sealed Bearing InternalFrame: GTR Carbon Monocoque FramePedals: NARack Mounts: NoneFork: Ritchey Carbon Pro w/ Integrated dropoutStem: Ritchey Logic Pro, 3D Net forged w/ Stainless Steel bolts, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clampHandlebar: Ritchey Logic Pro, Butted 7075 Aluminum w/ Anatomic bend, 31.8mm clampSeatpost: Ritchey Pro CarbonWheelset: Shimano 105 Wheelset w/ offset, heat treated Alloy rim and precision sealed hub w/ rear 10-speed cassetteFront Derailleur: SRAM CompactBottom Bracket: SRAM OutboardBrakes: SRAM RivalLevers: SRAM RivalRear Derailleur: SRAM RivalShifters: SRAM Rival 10-speedCrankset: SRAM Rival Compact, 50/34TCassette: SRAM, 11/25T, 10-speedTires: Vittoria Rubino Pro



17lb.

$1999 with an additional 10% off until Sunday night - use the coupon code shown on the top of each page...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24824&estore_ID=1667

Not bad for a 3 minute search on google huh?

I'm sure there's a massive amount of 2006 and 2007 model year "closeouts". Happy hunting!
 

Mish

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
163
2
0
swampy1970 said:
30-0744-WR-SIDE.jpg



Grips/Tape: Black CorkChain: CN-5600 10-speedSaddle: Fizik ArioneHeadset: FSA Sealed Bearing InternalFrame: GTR Carbon Monocoque FramePedals: NARack Mounts: NoneFork: Ritchey Carbon Pro w/ Integrated dropoutStem: Ritchey Logic Pro, 3D Net forged w/ Stainless Steel bolts, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clampHandlebar: Ritchey Logic Pro, Butted 7075 Aluminum w/ Anatomic bend, 31.8mm clampSeatpost: Ritchey Pro CarbonWheelset: Shimano 105 Wheelset w/ offset, heat treated Alloy rim and precision sealed hub w/ rear 10-speed cassetteFront Derailleur: SRAM CompactBottom Bracket: SRAM OutboardBrakes: SRAM RivalLevers: SRAM RivalRear Derailleur: SRAM RivalShifters: SRAM Rival 10-speedCrankset: SRAM Rival Compact, 50/34TCassette: SRAM, 11/25T, 10-speedTires: Vittoria Rubino Pro



17lb.

$1999 with an additional 10% off until Sunday night - use the coupon code shown on the top of each page...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24824&estore_ID=1667

Not bad for a 3 minute search on google huh?

I'm sure there's a massive amount of 2006 and 2007 model year "closeouts". Happy hunting!

Yep. Just as I thought. Plus if he buys into the club he gets an additional 10% in points to use for shoes, pedals, etc.
 

rosborn

New Member
Aug 26, 2004
164
0
0
57
eladbell said:
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.
I'm going to say the saddle. The saddle is the most impotent part of the bike. Definitely the saddle.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Rob
 

rparedes

New Member
Jul 21, 2007
527
0
0
eladbell said:
Hello all,
After having saved up for a long time I m finally going to buy a higher end bike.If I had to spend about 2000$ what should be my most important consideration ; The frame or the components? This is an important question at the moment because I am have the choice of 2 bikes (on ebay) one a kestrel sci with reasonable components (105 and ultegra).The other bike is a mid level track frame (500$ retail for frame) buts it;s built up with phil wood dura ace, king and other treasures. Both bike are asking arounf 2000$ "buy it now". Anyway, to cut very long story short,what is the most important part of the bike -ie; what should I really spend the money on; great frame average parts or great parts average frame.

Get the best frame and wheelset you can afford, then build from there. Components: you should be able to get full Ultegra OR Ultegra drive train with 105 STI's and brakes. For that price you can do much better than what you're looking at; IMHO (check out Giant TCR, Specialized Roubaix, Motobecane Immortal, Douglas Fusion, Scott CR1, Tommaso Aggraziato, many others)
 

dbackmtg

New Member
Oct 9, 2005
214
0
16
The rider is the most important part. Buy one your happy with. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy one I couldn't test ride. If I had saved a hard earned 2 grand I'd be test riding.
 

graf zeppelin

New Member
May 28, 2004
324
0
0
52
I'd say frame and wheels. In my opinion, put the bulk of your funds there and upgrade the rest as you can. This pretty much only applies if you're building the bike yourself (or collecting the parts and having the LBS build it) and have ~$3000 or more to spend though. Its pretty hard to buy a nice frame and wheels and still have enough money left for the other parts and then components while sticking to a $2000 budget.

In the $2000 range, the best bet would be a good deal on a fully built bike (though you'll be wanting to upgrade the wheels at some point, maybe even the frame, and the parts, depending) or a used bike. Imho. Really depends too on what riding level you're at. A $2000 pre-built bike might last a novice rider a couple years before they might wish to delve into details, but at that point you might be better served replacing it.
 

rparedes

New Member
Jul 21, 2007
527
0
0
graf zeppelin said:
I'd say frame and wheels. In my opinion, put the bulk of your funds there and upgrade the rest as you can. This pretty much only applies if you're building the bike yourself (or collecting the parts and having the LBS build it) and have ~$3000 or more to spend though. Its pretty hard to buy a nice frame and wheels and still have enough money left for the other parts and then components while sticking to a $2000 budget.

In the $2000 range, the best bet would be a good deal on a fully built bike (though you'll be wanting to upgrade the wheels at some point, maybe even the frame, and the parts, depending) or a used bike. Imho. Really depends too on what riding level you're at. A $2000 pre-built bike might last a novice rider a couple years before they might wish to delve into details, but at that point you might be better served replacing it.
Agree on the first part. But you can get a nice bike for $1400 to $1700 especially if you build it yourself. I just got finished buying the last parts for my build and finished my total spent to date calculations:
Frame and fork: Giant TCR C1 (used but mint condition, 2005); headset ( used, came with frame): Cane Creek; wheels (new): Mavic aksium; BB (new) Durace; Crank (New): shimano Compact; Shifters (new): Ultegra ; derailleurs- 10 speed- and brake calipers (new) Ultegra; Cassette (new): Ultegra; Seat post (used): Giant Carbon; Handlebars (new): FSA compact wing pro; stem (new) thompson; chain (new) Ultegra 10 speed; cables and housings (new); saddle (new): Rido; Tires: Contis.
total spent: $1,525 (excluding saddle, tires and tubes) (but took 4 months) Purchases were made on Ebay, and various on-line stores; just waited for the right sales. I may upgrade the wheelset next year or if a find the right deal on lighter mavics in the next few months
 

eugkimj

New Member
Jul 28, 2007
26
0
0
For less than 2k, you should be able to get a new Cannondale six13 with 105. I'd take it over a Kestrel any day of the week, especially a used one.
 

graf zeppelin

New Member
May 28, 2004
324
0
0
52
rparedes said:
Agree on the first part. But you can get a nice bike for $1400 to $1700 especially if you build it yourself. I just got finished buying the last parts for my build and finished my total spent to date calculations:
Frame and fork: Giant TCR C1 (used but mint condition, 2005); headset ( used, came with frame): Cane Creek; wheels (new): Mavic aksium; BB (new) Durace; Crank (New): shimano Compact; Shifters (new): Ultegra ; derailleurs- 10 speed- and brake calipers (new) Ultegra; Cassette (new): Ultegra; Seat post (used): Giant Carbon; Handlebars (new): FSA compact wing pro; stem (new) thompson; chain (new) Ultegra 10 speed; cables and housings (new); saddle (new): Rido; Tires: Contis.
total spent: $1,525 (excluding saddle, tires and tubes) (but took 4 months) Purchases were made on Ebay, and various on-line stores; just waited for the right sales. I may upgrade the wheelset next year or if a find the right deal on lighter mavics in the next few months

Patience for the right deals and a willingness to buy used parts and buy from eBay, yeah, you certainly can build a decent bike for $1500-2000. I would have agreed with that. I just wasnt including that sort of shopping in the options and suppose I should have specified. Not everyone would do that, though on any bike I build I shop very carefully too. Congrats. :cool:
 

J-V

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
201
0
0
I guess I have to be the buzz-kill here and state that no one should buy a bike off e-Bay or CraigsList unless they've ridden it, and/or know that it will fit them properly, and provide the ride that they are looking for.

Component choices are superfluous compared to the more fundamental issues of fit and geometry relative to the rider in question.
 

Thinkly

New Member
Dec 9, 2003
17
0
0
The cycling world has a tendency to over analyze everything. Forums like this reflect that fact, and if you don't believe me, go to a forum and look how many times people have argued over what chain lube is the best.

I don't think there is ONE correct answer to the question you pose. Because the answer would be different for a lot of different people. Example: A new rider probably shouldn't even be buying a $2K bike unless he just has money to burn.

A lot of experience and saddle time teaches you what you personally want in a bike. Another example is that a leisure rider might be more interested in how a bike rides than how fast it is like a racer would be. There are tons of other reasons but the fact remains-------------> It is up to YOU!

The one thing i always say is to make sure you have all of the cycling "goodies" that you may want before wasting money on a bling bike. IOW, if you don't have $100 cycling shorts for example, then buy them instead of wasting the extra $100 on a bike.

Because the comfy shorts will make a WAY bigger difference in ride quality. Same goes for other things, nice jersey, tools, helmet, sunglasses, seat pack, pump etc. all go farther towards making a better riding experience than wasting extra dough on a bike that you don't need.