Whats the most miles you have done in a day?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mike7382, Aug 4, 2004.

1. scrav

scrav New Member

this is my first year on a bike ,., i have done a 120 kilometer race .,. the last 20 was hell but it was woth it.,. next year i wanna go around vättern .,. 300 kilometers but with 15000 others you dont feel the pain.,. !

2. Salsa Rider

Salsa Rider New Member

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Salsa,

thanks.
    It was very tough going.

But getting over the 100 miles like you have - is a fine acheievement
    10-12 centuries : sure the 200 can't be that far off, now can it ????(LOL !)

4. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

55miles - glossop-sheffield-glossop. going up the snake pass to sheffield - getting lost in sheffield - finding the way to the stocksbridge bypass - across woodhead and home. took 4 hours but a lot of it was up hill.

p.s.
    i have a friend who once did manchester to london in a day however far that is?

5. mtb4x4mad

mtb4x4mad New Member

I have done 200 miles (about 320km's) in a day; but it was on an MTB. It took 17 hrs all up.

6. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Well, it turns out that the sunlight was not the limitation today when I did my longest ride. I'm bumped up from my former 167 miles PR to the 201.3 miles which I did today.

I had it in my mind on the fly that I would do 300 miles today, but I cracked badly at 130 miles, and the last 70 miles was sheer will power and not much biking power.

The first 100 I did in 5:43, and actually understates my pace because I carried about 7 kg of supplies to stash along the route. This I carried about 7 miles. I had to go slowly because I was worried about the plastic bags betting caught in the front wheel as they dangled from my wrists.

I spent about 19 minutes total off the bike and hit the 200 mile mark in 12:03:40, so the elapsed time in the saddle after refilling water bottles and eating was 11:45. There was still enough time to finish the next 100 at the first 100 pace before too much darkness would have set in, but I just didn't have it in me today. I don't think I was adequately recovered from my other ride 4 days ago when I did 5:14 in the 100. Also, I'm not used to going over 120 miles. My body just said NO, loud and clear.

Well, this was a 100% solo ride, and the 2nd 100 was getting a bit gusty with a shifting cross wind. I won't be trying to best this effort this summer. Wow!

7. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

All uphill? You're a monster. MTB's are so much tougher to pedal.

8. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Unless today was a fluke, I think that the century is my distance and not the double century. I don't have any problem with it at all. I hit the wall at mile 130 today, and the rest was very, very tough.

9. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Actually, I wanted to add that in spite of food stashes at a couple of spots along the route, I only ate once, and an hour later is when I cracked. I don't think that food had a very good effect on me. Then any thoughts of food really repulsed me. I was not at all hungry and thought I would be sick if I ate again. I probably only consumed maybe 700-800 calories for the entire 200 mile distance.

10. dallasbikr

dallasbikr New Member

Most in one day was the 1996 TinButt UMCA event....156 miles in 12 hours. The ride was from 7am to 7pm on a 12 mile loop around the most boring lake I've ever laid eyes on. No drafting.

I've done 5 or 6 centuries, but not in quite some time. I want to do another 12 hour to see if I can kick up the PB.

11. mtb4x4mad

mtb4x4mad New Member

Sorry, not all uphill, but 17 hours in total. Still on an MTB though.

12. Provence1971

Provence1971 New Member

240 miles from Birmingham to London and back.

13. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

200 miles in 12:32 solo with a headwind. Ate every 30 minutes and felt great until mile 185 when i cracked, the last 15 miles was the hardest i have ever done. i think ill try for 300 or 400 next year.

14. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Hey! We have a common goal. Next year I want to crack 300. I just did 200 2 days ago. The wind wasn't too bad--mostly a cross wind. I cracked at mile 130 after eating one hour earlier for the first time in the ride. I couldn't even think about consuming more food. I don't know why I was feeling that way. Usually, I get famished on extremely long rides.

What were you eating every 30 minutes? I can't eat power bars because they have wheat in them. I have a feeling you're going to tell me power bars.

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Also I was wondering if you did this all in one direction. Wouldn't the loop at least cancel part of the negative effects of a cross wind? Are you on a road tour?

16. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

I was going all in one direction from where i live to visit family. Dont have a car so... Would definatly be more fun to ride 200 miles in a tour, got pretty lonely after a few hours. I ate cliff bars and goo. I cant stand power bars. After a couple of hours of eating cliff bars I cant stand them either and have to stop and do the rest of the ride on goo. Eating doesnt feel great but it keeps me from bonking and i was still averaging 18 mph at mile 180. I highly recommend eating because you burn so many calories

17. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I was amazed that I didn't want to eat. But come to think of it, I have always eaten off the bike, and usually immediately after I get off. It's different when you are on the bike and continuing to ride. I'll have to be more careful in the future about what to bring to eat on long rides.

You have great endurance into the wind. That can often be very disheartening. I've done it on long rides before, and it really slows me down a lot.

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

That's good going - 100 miles in less than 6 hours is very good.
    I have tried getting under the 6 hour limit and I can't do it.
    I have hit the hundred a good few times but to do so under 6 hours I find impossible.
    In most cases I am travelling on 120,130,150 miles etc.
    I suppose if I limited myself to do 100 - I might break it.

But to break 6 hours for the 100 with a 100 to go like you did, is a great achievement.

I think in my case a 300 mile in one day would be out of the question - it took me 13 hours to hit 246 miles and I was shattered after it.
    The last 46 miles (of 246) were very tough.

To have any hope of doing 300 miles, you'd have to select 21st June (the longest daylight -day - of the year in this hemisphere).

19. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

13 hrs for 246 is roughly a 6 hour per hundred pace, especially considering you were fading in the last 46. So I believe you can (or have) broken 6 already in the 100. Maybe you just didn't look at your clock.

I was motivated during the first 100 because I thought I was going to go 300 for the day, and I didn't want to dilly dally too much and get stuck in the dark before I could finish the 300th mile. That would have been disheartening.

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Just looking at the times : first 100 was done in 6hrs 5mins
    Second 100 6hrs 8mins.
    Final 46 miles 2hrs 5mins :
    total time 14hrs 18mins.
    I thought it was under 14hrs in total but it was over 14hrs.
    I can go at a consistent pace but if I had tried to up the tempo at any stage during the 246 miles, i reckon I would have been in trouble from 150 mark onwards.
    You know when you're feeling good from 30-120 miles and you are tempted to go just that little bit quicker, not realising that you could blow completely further along.
    I kept telling myself this is a marathon not a sprint.

300 miles : that is a very tough one to crack.