Whats the most miles you have done in a day?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mike7382, Aug 4, 2004.

1. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I was watching the hr monitor the whole way. I suspect I would want the heart rate to be faster in the middle of the day while the sun is shining on me than I would when the sun hasn't come up and it's still a little cold and numbing. The perceived effort you want to keep the same. The trick is to find the ideal hr to ride for the entire length and then stick to it. I suppose a power meter would help. I found it wasn't hard to put the hr where I wanted it until about 130 miles. Then it was as if I plain lost interest and had a tough time. I had to keep reminding myself that although I couldn't think of good reasons for why I was riding so far at the time, that I trusted I had good reasons before I got on the bike and would also have reason to feel very disappointed when I got off the bike later. It's a big mind game you play with yourself in these ultra distances. I guess that's part of the reason I like doing it.

2. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

a good place to try to break 300 miles would be an endurance race like a RAAM qualifier. thats where i am going to try it next summer. you get support then incase you crack, and you can ride all night.

3. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

Matter of fact, it was today. I had some time on my hands, and rather than watch TV....

Did 50 miles in 2:32 (87% of the ride was 143-152HR). Yesterday did 30 miles.

Seems like a ride isn't even a ride anymore unless it's 30 miles or more. Wasn't that long ago I was impressed by a 10 mile ride.... :D

4. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Is there a list of these RAAM qualifier races? I'd like to check that out.

5. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

You're a strong rider for not having done much distance in a day. I have a feeling you will improve quite a bit in the future.

6. nomis

nomis New Member

108 miles? that sounds like skyline drive to me -- how many rides of exactly 108 miles can there be? i rode it in july with 4 friends. tons of fun but some pretty serious climbing (10,300 feet according to my buddy's computer). i was pretty bagged ... but we still went out & did 50 miles the next day (with another 4,500 feet of climbing). i felt i deserved a rest day after that :)

7. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I think I'll try eating corn tortillas during a long ride. Corn doesn't have any gluten in it like wheat, rye, barley or oats do. So it won't bother me in that regard. This is somewhat inspired by the legendary Tarahumara Indians of Mexico who run ultra ultra distances, like 280 miles in 6 days. They eat pinole, a toasted and ground corn gruel. They are very fast runners in ultra distances.

8. tosh_84

tosh_84 New Member

My longest ride was 295 kilometers, crossing the entire Netherlands in one day.

Our average speed (time actually on the bike) was 22,5 kilometers an hour and it took us 15 hours to complete the trip! After a day's rest we rode back, but cut of some road so it was only (;-) 280 kilometers. Felt terrible the entire week that followed.
    Our next goal is to ride 400 kilometers in 24 hours.

9. dallasbikr

dallasbikr New Member

http://www.ultracycling.com/

10. groskilly

groskilly New Member

I'm 55 years old and did my first century ride on July 24th, at an average speed of 13.6 mph, roughly 7.5 hours.
    I took delivery of a Trek 5.2 Madone today and I plan to do the same century ride next Saturday, hopefully I can get the average speed up a bit.

http://www.roskilly.com/Century.htm

11. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Nice bike!

12. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Wow! Did you see what that 17 year old kid did in the 400 miler? Benjamin Couturier placed first in the Fireweed 400, an Alaskan race, with a time of 21:38:56. Guys this young just aren't supposed to be able to do so well in ultras. This guy must really be something special.

13. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

14. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Here's a good webpage to figure out how many calories you're burning on those rides. I already listed it above, but I'll list it again here for you since I didn't mention this calorie burner estimator above. I'm also interested in losing a few more pounds.

http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/calories.html

15. rayner

rayner New Member

180k in just over 6 hours. Have raced 160 before but bonked after 100, one of the worst experiences of my life. Had little black dots running around in my vision and nearly passe dout when I finished. I think thats why I ride though.

16. Kenneth SJ

Kenneth SJ New Member

I did 125 km for some years ago. But this year I have really improved my cycling and trained a lot. But I still have to beat my record. I know I can easily do it, I just don't have the time for it. But after tomorrow i'll have 14 days vacation so there should be a fair chance of a long pleasant ride if the weathergod would change the weather here:)