What's the name of the US Manufacturer?

ChrisCarson

Jul 24, 2006
Can anybody help me out here.....

There's an American manufacturer of aluminum bicycles that sell on the web called Air*****???? .......something.

Without the full name I cannot find them on Google and I'm stuck without it.

The bikes they sell are only available on the web and you buy the parts you need or can afford and they build you a bespoke bike.

They aren't cheap, but they sure are nice.....

Many thanks........

ChrisCarson said:
Can anybody help me out here.....

There's an American manufacturer of aluminum bicycles that sell on the web called Air*****???? .......something.

Without the full name I cannot find them on Google and I'm stuck without it.

The bikes they sell are only available on the web and you buy the parts you need or can afford and they build you a bespoke bike.

They aren't cheap, but they sure are nice.....

Many thanks........

Try this site.It may be the one you are looking for.Although it does not look promising since they seem to be defunked.

http://www.airborne.net/

Yes, that's the one. Oh dear. After all that they've gone.

I was going to ask how long have they been gone, but it hardly seems to matter now.........

Are there any others that you know of who make bespoke bikes to your spec?

ChrisCarson said:

I was going to ask how long have they been gone, but it hardly seems to matter now.........

Not sure, but if I find something I will let you know.

ChrisCarson said:

Airborne made titanium bikes, not aluminum AFAIK

If you want titanium, MOOTS would be my rec: http://www.moots.com/ several others exist as well.

Lots of boutique steel builders around, fewer aluminum, and very few CFRP.

DiabloScott said:
Airborne made titanium bikes, not aluminum AFAIK

If you want titanium, MOOTS would be my rec: http://www.moots.com/ several others exist as well.

Lots of boutique steel builders around, fewer aluminum, and very few CFRP.
I remember Airborne did make a Alu range as well are thier excellent Ti stuff.

If memory serves me right (and usualy it doesnt) it was called the 'Fuselage' or was it 'Thunder Bolt'...anyway..

Aluminium bike, may have been an MTB. I have an advert for it in an old magainze somewhere...i'll see if i can dig it out tonight.

ChrisCarson said:

You can try "Seven". I think their website is www.sevencycles.com . They work mainly with titanium.

Wow, thanks guys.

Yes titanium is the one to go for.......

I knew there was something special about Airborne.....a friend pointed them out to me a couple of years ago before I became a cyclist, and saw the light.

I'll have a look see what I can find in Titanium

Many thanks.....

snapdragen said:
In the US Airborne became Flyte: http://www.flyte1.com/
Airborne started out as a low budget maker of titanium frames, which I think they may sourced from China. The move to "Flyte" appears to be an attempt to go up market, increasing their prices and increasing their profit margins without really doing anything other than changing the graphics on their down tubes.

There is a big difference between the prices boutique frame makers like MOOTS and Seven charge compared to Flyte. You can get a full Flyte bike for the same price as a bare MOOTS frame with no fork.

Looking at Flyte's website there are some strange price differences between an Ultegra bike and a Dura Ace one. The difference in price is much too large when you consider what you can get a Dura Ace gruppo for if you order from Europe.