What's the "perfect" cycling food?

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
I couldn't do this as a poll, so here goes. This should be fun.

What's the "perfect" cycling food, before during and after your rides?

What about beverages?

Here's my choices.

Food
Before: Peanut butter (or almond butter) and banana Sandwich (on whole wheat bread of course)
During: Nature Valley Chewy Granola bar (light and calorie rich)
After: Heaps of whole wheat pasta (with a tasty sauce of some sort.)

Beverages
Before: 12 Oz can of V-8 juice (can you say electrolites?)
During: Sports drink of some sort (poweraid or gatorade)
After: Lots of good old H20 (1.5 times amount of body weight lost to sweat)

Hmmmm...depends upon the ride planned for that day. My preparation will differ between a casual club ride and a metric century training ride for example.

Going on the assumption it will be a moderately fast 100K ride I will usually eat a hearty breakfast....oatmeal, whole wheat toast with PB, coffee and some fruit.

During the ride I will generally stick to fluids.....accelerade or gatorade and if I need to eat will have a powerbar type thing and/or a banana.

Post ride I am usually ravenous and crave penne pasta with primavera veggies, caesar salad and a fresh baquette of bread. Pizza works wonders. A cold beer is darn awesome as well.....lol. Before any of that I will use Endurox R4....as a recovery drink it works real good for me.

The three best things in the food catergory on the bike:

Bannanas, Powerbars and Vanilla flavored Powergels

The three best foods off the bike:

Pasta, Eggs, Cereal

The best drink: water or orange flavored Gatorade

Pre: Oatmeal+blueberries+milk+lots coffeeeeeeee
During: bananas+pancakes
Post Post: Vegetarian lasagna....mmmm...tofu....

After that..I just stuff my face with whatever is in the fridge...

Oh...just thought of one more...

Kashi GO Lean+peanutbutter+skim milk...HOT...oh my goodness, I think I have become addicted...

e

an hour and a half before a ride i usually take cereals, muesli, or all bran..

during the ride some trail mix, dried fruit, nuts oats..

after a ride i dont have an appetite for a couple of hours, i just shower up grab a coffee and get on the playstation for a bit...even though i am tired and low on energy i cant face food..

i only take water for drinks during the ride.

I tend not to buy any cycling related food products...i make my own, always have.

Pasta the night before
Potatos, eggs, and coffee in the morning
Bananas, Cliff Bars, Snickers, and water on the road
PB&J on whole wheat with chocolate milk after

MountainPro said:

I tend not to buy any cycling related food products...i make my own, always have.

Do you have any recipes you would share? I enjoy ClifBars but would rather make my own type of bar.

Maybe that's a topic for another thread: Cycling food recipes

Jerry

Tmax1 said:
Do you have any recipes you would share? I enjoy ClifBars but would rather make my own type of bar.

Maybe that's a topic for another thread: Cycling food recipes

Jerry
Recipes, well. I buy trail mix from Holland and Barret its quite cheap, i add my own dried mango cubes and pineapple. Sometimes i'll melt a bit of chocolate though it and some melted sugar to make it into bars. But usually i just take it the way it is.

I occasionally make my own drinks with some water, organic honey and a dash of salt. Although this provides you with the carbs and soduim you need when exercising it does tend to make you quite thirsty so i usually just stick to water.

But thats it....no recipies really. I just keep it simple.

Lonnie,
I make a sandwich similar to yours:
Two slices whole wheat toast, peanut butter on one, local honey on the other, sprinkle of cinnamon and a handful of raisins as filler. Yummy.

Baked potato with a drizzle of olive oil and some Italian spices and perhaps some grated parmesan.

On long rides I usually go with Camelbak Blowfish (100 oz) water and 2 bike bottles of Gatorade.

I also take Nature Valley Granola bars (but not the chewy ones) and sometimes some trail mix.

Whole wheat pasta with olive oil and spices instead of a heavy sauce.

Drats! I'm trying to watch my off-season eating, and now I read this?!? Ugh, now I'm starving. :p

Before: Water. I can't start the day without a nice big juicy orange and if it's a big ride I'll have some muesli.

During: Banana's for that longer lasting hit. Water

After: Water. Espresso or espresso con panna (shot with a big dollop of whipped cream). Iced chocolate. Or toast with black cherry jam and whipped cream on top. Another espresso. Another banna. Espresso. Water.

Lonnie Utah said:
I couldn't do this as a poll, so here goes. This should be fun.

What's the "perfect" cycling food, before during and after your rides?

What about beverages?

Here's my choices.

Food
Before: Peanut butter (or almond butter) and banana Sandwich (on whole wheat bread of course)
During: Nature Valley Chewy Granola bar (light and calorie rich)
After: Heaps of whole wheat pasta (with a tasty sauce of some sort.)

Beverages
Before: 12 Oz can of V-8 juice (can you say electrolites?)
During: Sports drink of some sort (poweraid or gatorade)
After: Lots of good old H20 (1.5 times amount of body weight lost to sweat)
I subscribe to a different school of thought. The night before a big ride I try to load up on carbs but stay away from anything too spicy (pasta or pad thai). The next morning I will top off my carb levels with some cereal, bagel or english muffin. During the ride, I will drink gatorade and I'll bring a flask of GU. Immediately after the ride I will eat lots of protein to aid in recovery (smoked salmon, tuna or turkey). Later that day I'll snack on some nachos or popcorn with a couple icy Newcastles.
:cool:

hmmmm...I too am on a diet and this killing me.....Can't wait to start riding again so I can eat!

morning: I love oatmeal w/ peanut butter, bananas, coffee
during: gatorade, pb & j cut in squares, homemade bars, goo balls, gel and maybe I'll have a Coke if I stop for a boost (though I wouldn't touch Coke of the bike)
after: anything I want!!! plus usually a soy milk w/ protein powder

To borrow from the film When Harry Met Sally

"I'll have what she's having"

Peanut butter, bananna, and honey on wholewheat might be the perfect cycling food, before, during and after. I prefer it during on rides of more than three hours.