What's the Smallest Chainring That Will Work?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Grenouil, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset, with DuraAce rear dérailleur,
    Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and 13-28 seven
    speed freewheel. I need lower gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will accept down to
    a 28T chainring - there are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery, for example.

    Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?

    Thanks...

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:26:13 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset, with DuraAce rear
    >dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and
    >13-28 seven speed freewheel. I need lower gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will
    >accept down to a 28T chainring - there are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery,
    >for example.
    >
    >Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?
    50/36 for sure. 50/34 probably. Your rear derailleur has to be able to take up enough chain in the
    3?/13. I think that you will be ok with your current derailleur but you will be borderline.

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:26:13 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset, with DuraAce rear
    > >dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and
    > >13-28 seven speed freewheel. I need lower gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will
    > >accept down to a 28T chainring - there are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery,
    > >for example.
    > >
    > >Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?
    > 50/36 for sure. 50/34 probably. Your rear derailleur has to be able to take up enough chain in the
    > 3?/13. I think that you will be ok with your current derailleur but you will be borderline.

    50/28? It works for Sheldon Brown: http://www.sheldonbrown.org/hetchins/

  4. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    If you want to keep your existing front and rear derailleur, you will probably be limited to
    something like 44-28 without exceeding what the derailleurs can cope with.

    Nick

  5. On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:26:13 +0200, Grenouil wrote:

    > Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?

    It will shift fine. The only addition that will help avoid problems is a chain watcher -- a simple
    guide to stop the chain from going inside of the little ring, which it may sometimes do with a large
    drop like that.

    I sometimes use a 48/30, though these days I have been happy with a 46/30. Campy front derailleur.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  6. On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:01:06 +0000, Paul Kopit wrote:

    > 50/36 for sure. 50/34 probably. Your rear derailleur has to be able to take up enough chain in the
    > 3?/13. I think that you will be ok with your current derailleur but you will be borderline.

    Ah, yes, I did forget that. For a wide cassette like that and a wide jump in rings you should have a
    long-cage derailleur. You can fudge it a bit with slack chain in the small-small combination, but
    better to have it right. I do use a long cage (Racing T) rear derailleur.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  7. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:31:31 +1000, Nick Payne wrote:

    > If you want to keep your existing front and rear derailleur, you will probably be limited to
    > something like 44-28 without exceeding what the derailleurs can cope with.

    Just the rear. Any front derailleur that can handle a triple can handle a double with this range.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:26:13 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset, with DuraAce rear
    >>dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and
    >>13-28 seven speed freewheel. I need lower gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will
    >>accept down to a 28T chainring - there are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery, for
    >>example.
    >>
    >>Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?
    >
    > 50/36 for sure. 50/34 probably. Your rear derailleur has to be able to take up enough chain in the
    > 3?/13.

    Not necessarily, I've ridden with lots of chainring/derailleur combinations where the chain
    was hanging very loose in the small/small combination. It didn't matter since I wasn't
    planning on using the
    30/13 or 30/15 combinations anyway and haven't seen any problems if I accidentally shift into them.
    OTOH, you do want to be sure the chain is long enough for the large/large combination since bad
    things can happen if you make a mistake and shift to that with a short chain. 30 or even 28
    should work ok but you won't have very quick shifting on the front.

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    >Just the rear. Any front derailleur that can handle a triple can handle a double with this range.

    I agree. I'm running a 28-38-48 with an old Shimano 600 front deraileur right now. It was designed
    for a double back when 10T was the typical range for the front but it works fine with the triple at
    20T. It could probably even handle a few more.

    --Bill Davidson

  10. Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:26:13 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset, with DuraAce rear
    >>dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and
    >>13-28 seven speed freewheel.
    >50/36 for sure. 50/34 probably. Your rear derailleur has to be able to take up enough chain in the
    > 3?/13.

    No, it doesn't - one's never going to use that gear; and unlike a too-short big-big, changing into
    the small-small and having it rattle isn't a disaster.

    I'm waiting for a 52/34 right now, but I don't plan to use the 34 with anything but the 3 largest
    sprockets in back.

  11. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99 crankset,
    with
    > DuraAce rear dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur, downtube friction shifters, 50-40
    > chainrings and 13-28 seven speed freewheel. I
    need
    > lower gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will accept down
    > a 28T chainring - there are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery, for example.
    >
    > Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how
    low
    > can I go?
    >
    > Thanks...

    Thanks for all the inputs. Looks like a 34T is probably the best compromise - a 16T chainring
    difference should be ok, and the 34T will provide a useful reduction in the lowest gears. Possible
    slack in the small-small is not an issue for me. Now all I need to do is find a 34T 86mm BCD
    chainring :)

  12. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Bill Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:31:31 +1000, Nick Payne wrote:
    > >If you want to keep your existing front and rear derailleur, you will probably be limited to
    > >something like 44-28 without exceeding what the derailleurs can cope with.
    >
    > David L. Johnson wrote:
    > >Just the rear. Any front derailleur that can handle a triple can handle
    > >double with this range.
    >
    > I agree. I'm running a 28-38-48 with an old Shimano 600 front deraileur right now. It was designed
    > for a double back when 10T was the typical range for the front but it works fine with the triple
    > at 20T. It could probably even handle a few more.
    >
    > --Bill Davidson

    But we're talking about an old double front dérailleur shifting a 20T jump on a double crankset -
    not a triple..... 28 to 38 then 38 to 48 is not the same thing at all.....

  13. A shy person wrote:

    > The current setup on one of my old bikes is a Stronglight 99
    crankset, > with DuraAce rear dérailleur, Campagnolo Record front dérailleur,
    > downtube friction shifters, 50-40 chainrings and 13-28 seven speed freewheel. I need lower
    > gearing, and understand that the Stronglight crank will accept down to a 28T chainring - there
    > are 28T and 30T rings available through Harris Cyclery, for example.
    >
    > Will a 28T or 30T shift acceptably with the 50T large ring? If not, how low can I go?

    (I tried to reply to this yesterday, but the transition from ATTBI to Comcast has messed up my NG
    access at home, despite an hour and a half on the phone with Comcast "tech support.")

    I'm running a 50/28 double on my Hetchins, TA in my case. It shifts OK, requires a bit of technique
    for the upshift...you gotta be ready for the cranks to suddenly slow down when the 50 grabs the
    chain. A little practice and it's no problem.

    This is a nice setup, 'cause I do almost all of my shifting with the rear. I've got a 12-28 9-speed
    Shimano-based cassette, and set up the front chainline so I can use all 9 with the big ring. The 28
    is just there as a bail-out for the toughest hills and/or when I'm knackered.

    I'm shifting this with a 105 double front derailer. Was using 105 STI, but recently switched to
    Veloce Ergos, which I like quite a bit better.

    When I was using the STIs, the bike had a Dura-Ace short cage derailer, which worked OK but was at
    its max. Now I'm using a long-cage Veloce.

    Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
    | The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, | as well as the poor, to sleep under the
    | bridges, | to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. | --Anatole France |
    +---------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  14. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:41:53 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the inputs. Looks like a 34T is probably the best compromise - a 16T chainring
    >difference should be ok, and the 34T will provide a useful reduction in the lowest gears. Possible
    >slack in the small-small is not an issue for me. Now all I need to do is find a 34T 86mm BCD
    >chainring :)

    For those who may be running 50/34, is there any problem with the chain missing the inner ring on
    the way down?

  15. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:51:00 +0000, Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > (I tried to reply to this yesterday, but the transition from ATTBI to Comcast has messed up my NG
    > access at home, despite an hour and a half on the phone with Comcast "tech support.")

    Sheldon: Comcast has been pretty good to me, and the speed is great. I don't have any trouble with
    them, though I do not use them for newsgroup access, about which they seem to know nothing. But
    they had no trouble (once I found the guy with a clue) with my linux system, or my ip-masquerading
    LAN. I've since gone to a linksys router, which is nice and easy, but have still not had problem 1
    with comcast.

    I use my university's server for news, bounced off my office machine so I can access it
    off-campus. I don't have a good recommendation for those trying to use Comcast and news without
    something like this.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

  16. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:52:26 +0000, Paul Kopit wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:41:53 +0200, "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for all the inputs. Looks like a 34T is probably the best compromise - a 16T chainring
    >>difference should be ok, and the 34T will provide a useful reduction in the lowest gears. Possible
    >>slack in the small-small is not an issue for me. Now all I need to do is find a 34T 86mm BCD
    >>chainring :)
    >
    > For those who may be running 50/34, is there any problem with the chain missing the inner ring on
    > the way down?

    I had some problems with the equivalent 46/32 (or 46/30, I forget which), but now I believe the
    problem was that the spacing between the rings was off due to mismatched brands and variations
    between them. But I got a chain watcher, and it's still there, so maybe it is still doing something.
    I never notice any problem now. My shifts down to the little ring are usually when I realize that
    the hill coming up is bigger than I can handle with the 46/21 -- so sometimes that is a bit of a
    panic... Never a problem.

    --

  17. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:35:14 +0200, Grenouil wrote:

    > But we're talking about an old double front dérailleur shifting a 20T jump on a double crankset -
    > not a triple..... 28 to 38 then 38 to 48 is not the same thing at all.....

    Perhaps not, but the issue of whether the derailleur can handle it is usually a capacity issue, and
    for that, it is the same thing. As far as the 20-tooth drop goes, it really is not a big deal. I
    usually have a 16-tooth drop, but occasionally use an 18 with no trouble.
    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and _`\(,_ | Excellence. (_)/ (_) |

  18. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:12:09 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I use my university's server for news, bounced off my office machine so I can access it
    >off-campus. I don't have a good recommendation for those trying to use Comcast and news without
    >something like this.

    "The german Server" (google for it, including quaotation marks) is always worth a try, or you can
    pay the 10 bucks a month like me for easynews access (I get it mostly for binaries, rather than
    text, though).

    Jasper