What's the Smallest Chainring You'd Put on an Ultegra Triple Crank?

Eric

Guest
I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
words I'm not in good enough shape).

Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.

Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.

Is that true?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Eric

Eric wrote:
> I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette
> doesn't quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs
> (in other words I'm not in good enough shape).
>
> Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot
> larger than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
>
> Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette
> would be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Eric

Last question first; yes an XT MTB (11/32 or 11/34)cassette will fit on your
rear wheel and your STI shifters will work with it just fine, but you most
likely will have to use an MTB long cage derailleur also. To your first
question, I believe the limiting factor on the size of small chainring that
you can use will be the ability of your front derailleur to shift up from
the small to the middle ring. I think the max difference it will be able to
shift is a 14 tooth difference in chainrings. If I'm correct, then you will
be able to go only as small as a 28 tooth little ring.

Dave Thompson wrote:

> Last question first; yes an XT MTB (11/32 or 11/34)cassette will fit

on your
> rear wheel and your STI shifters will work with it just fine, but you

most
> likely will have to use an MTB long cage derailleur also. To your

first
> question, I believe the limiting factor on the size of small

chainring that
> you can use will be the ability of your front derailleur to shift up

from
> the small to the middle ring. I think the max difference it will be

able to
> shift is a 14 tooth difference in chainrings. If I'm correct, then

you will
> be able to go only as small as a 28 tooth little ring.

Phooey. I have a 26/39/52 setup on my Ultegra crank. A couple friends
of mine have 24-tooth rings on theirs. Mine shifts fine with a R443
front derailleur, matched to elderly XTR Rapidfire shifters. I have a
12/28 8-speed cassette on the rear.

Jeff

JeffWills wrote:
> Dave Thompson wrote:
>>
>> Last question first; yes an XT MTB (11/32 or 11/34)cassette will fit
>> on your rear wheel and your STI shifters will work with it just
>> fine, but you most likely will have to use an MTB long cage
>> derailleur also. To your first question, I believe the limiting
>> factor on the size of small chainring that you can use will be the
>> ability of your front derailleur to shift up from the small to the
>> middle ring. I think the max difference it will be able to shift is
>> a 14 tooth difference in chainrings. If I'm correct, then you will
>> be able to go only as small as a 28 tooth little ring.

> Phooey. I have a 26/39/52 setup on my Ultegra crank. A couple
> friends of mine have 24-tooth rings on theirs. Mine shifts fine with
> a R443 front derailleur, matched to elderly XTR Rapidfire shifters. I
> have a 12/28 8-speed cassette on the rear.
>
> Jeff

The OP's question was framed in such a way that it sounded like he is using
a stock Ultegra set-up. My answer to him was correct *if* he has that
equipment. You apparently a much different set-up, even to the extent of
using a non-standard (in 9-speed anyway) 39t middle ring, which is a 13t
difference between small and middle BTW and MTB shifters. So I'll stand by
what I originally posted

> I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
> quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
> words I'm not in good enough shape).
>
> Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
> than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
>
> Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
> be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.

First things first. How much lower do you really need to go? If you don't
need much, change the rear to a 27t before going after the front. There's no
downside (to shifting) at all by changing to a 27t at the back. No changing
derailleurs either. If you go wider and use a mountain bike 12-32 or 12-34,
you're probably going to have to change to a mountain bike rear derailleur
(make sure you get a standard one, not one of the ones that shifts
backwards).

On the front, you'll generally have little trouble switching from a 30t to a
28t, but anything smaller might give you a bit of grief. Another poster
talks about using a 24t combined with XTR flatbar shifters, but that was
also 8-speed with a wider (and more forgiving) chain.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
> quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
> words I'm not in good enough shape).
>
> Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
> than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
>
> Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
> be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Eric

> > I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> > chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
> > quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
> > words I'm not in good enough shape).
> >
> > Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> > later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> > are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> > larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> > mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
> > than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
> >
> > Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
> > be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.

> First things first. How much lower do you really need to go? If you don't
> need much, change the rear to a 27t before going after the front. There's

no
> downside (to shifting) at all by changing to a 27t at the back. No

changing
> derailleurs either. If you go wider and use a mountain bike 12-32 or

12-34,
> you're probably going to have to change to a mountain bike rear derailleur
> (make sure you get a standard one, not one of the ones that shifts
> backwards).

If you stick with the stock 52/42/30 chainset, there's a good chance that
your standard Ultegra long cage rd will shift the 12-32 fine. I know the
105 rd can handle it. You also might need to add a few links of chain -
even though you'll never use the big-big combo, you should provide enough
chain length so you don't get jammed when accidentally trying to shift up to
that combo. I'd go with the 32 XT cassette first, and then check whether
your rd will handle it. And then add some chain.

Barry

Dave Thompson wrote:

> The OP's question was framed in such a way that it sounded like he is

using
> a stock Ultegra set-up. My answer to him was correct *if* he has that
> equipment. You apparently a much different set-up, even to the extent

of
> using a non-standard (in 9-speed anyway) 39t middle ring, which is a

13t
> difference between small and middle BTW and MTB shifters. So I'll

stand by
> what I originally posted

The *only* problem I can see him having is that the chain may rub on
the bottom of the derailleur cage and/or hang slack *if* he shifts to a
small chainring/smaller cog combination. These combinations should be
avoided anyway. The jump from 24 tooth inner to 42 middle is large, but
the Ultegra derailleur and shifter should handle it if it works on his
current setup.

Jeff

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:F_SdnR-FXJmgetXfRVn-
[email protected]:
> The OP's question was framed in such a way that it sounded like he is using
> a stock Ultegra set-up. My answer to him was correct *if* he has that
> equipment.

I use Ultegra 9 speed STI shifters with a Dura-Ace triple derailleurs
and 26-39-52 chainrings. Works great.

Eric wrote:

> I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
> quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
> words I'm not in good enough shape).
>
> Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
> than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
>
> Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
> be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.

I use a 26T on a new 105 triple, but that's with an old model XT front
mech, which has a capacity of 26T between the big ring and the granny (I
use 52/42/26 on my touring bike). The modern Shimano road triple mechs,
IIRC, have a capacity of 22T so this is why they only come with a 30T
granny. You'll have to downsize the big ring or find a different front
mech if you go down this route.

Eric wrote:

> I've got an Ultegra triple crank that came stock with a 30T small
> chainring. The 30T, when coupled with the stock 12-25 cassette doesn't
> quite have low enough gearing for some really steep climbs (in other
> words I'm not in good enough shape).
>
> Anyway I've looked at getting a larger cassette, which I could do
> later, but for now I'm getting a smaller small chainring. The options
> are 24, 26 and 28T. I can get the 24 in aluminum or steel and the
> larger ones in aluminum only. I always get steel for the small
> mountainbike chainrings but I'm not sure here, as these are alot larger
> than the 20T small chainrings that I run on mountain bikes.
>
> Also, as far as the cassettes go, I assume an XT 9 speed cassette would
> be compatible with an Ultegra 9 speed cassette.

I use a 26T on a new 105 triple, but that's with an old model XT front
mech, which has a capacity of 26T between the big ring and the granny (I
use 52/42/26 on my touring bike). The modern Shimano road triple mechs,
IIRC, have a capacity of 22T so this is why they only come with a 30T
granny. You'll have to downsize the big ring or find a different front
mech if you go down this route.

We had a stock 30/42/52 Ultegra Triple on our tandem, and I swapped the
30T for a 26T. It shifts fine with the original Ultegra FD, but I
think using a "chain watcher/keeper" type device is prudent. The only
issue for me is that the chain rubs on the 42T ring when it is in the
26T ring in front and further than 4 cogs away from the largest cog in
the rear. I wasn't so limited with the 30T ring. But I think that
would only be an issue on a tandem, since its spacing in the rear is so
much wider vs. a single bike.

On my tour bike I use an Ultegra triple. I changed out the 52/42/30
chainrings for 48/38/26 ones. I notice no difference in shifting even
though my TA rings don't have any shift assist ramps.