What's the strength in Ambrosio wheels?

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
I note that Bianchi is getting in bed with Ambrosio. Looking at Ambrosio's catalogue, most of their wheels appeared to be on the heavy side of what other competitors offer. So the question is, what's their strength if any?

sogood said:
I note that Bianchi is getting in bed with Ambrosio. Looking at Ambrosio's catalogue, most of their wheels appeared to be on the heavy side of what other competitors offer. So the question is, what's their strength if any?
Ambrosio supplied the rims to Colnago and Campagnolo, to name two other marques in addition to Bianchi, in the recent past and I presume they still do.

I believe the Ambrosio EXCELLENCE would be the road rim to spec if you were lacing a set of "traditional"/training 32x3 (or, whatever spoke count & lacing you wanted) wheels.

sogood said:
Italian companies working together to provide good value.
Ambrosio rims are as good or better than the current crop of Mavic that I have experience in building with. There is more precision of joint alignment in Ambrosio. It is easy to sit back a talk about a static measurement like mass (weight) but the enduring quality and durability of built wheels is a blending of their ability to deal with dynamic riding forces.... not just marketing and response to easily measured (or claimed) things like weight.
The cosistent quality of current Ambrosio product and the durability of their rims makes them a worthy world class competitor.
I am glad to see Ambrosio asserting itself. They make high quality products that compare favorably to Mavic.
If I had a valued relationship with a supplier of Ambrosio products I would welcome them into my wheel building program. At this time, Velocity USA is my most valued rim supplier.