whats the thingy majig really called

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by trek-man, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Hey guys and girls
    whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy ways to change them from shimano to campag.
    cheers
    Mick

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    trek-man wrote:
    > Hey guys and girls
    > whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
    > onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
    > ways to change them from shimano to campag.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

  3. Geebs

    Geebs New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2005
    I think it is called a spline, as for brand specific and adaptors I don't know:(

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > trek-man wrote:
    > > Hey guys and girls
    > > whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
    > > onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
    > > ways to change them from shimano to campag.

    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    I have got a Campag cluster on a shimano hub......mine has plastic spacers
    between each cog and an adaptor as per the link for each cog as well

    http://www.bikyle.com/images/MarchAdaptors.jpg

    No idea where to get them from as mine were on the bike when I got it but I
    am pretty sure that any decent LBS will have them.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  5. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    trek-man wrote:
    > Hey guys and girls
    > whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
    > onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
    > ways to change them from shimano to campag.
    > cheers
    > Mick

    Free wheel - or free wheel spline, depending on how specific you're
    being... Dave
    They are brand specific - people do make adapters, but they're hard to find

  6. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    trek-man wrote:

    > Hey guys and girls
    > whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
    > onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
    > ways to change them from shimano to campag.
    > cheers
    > Mick

    Sheldon Brown has the answer...

  7. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep getting nowhere.

    cheers
    Mick

  8. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    trek-man wrote:
    > Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How
    > is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep
    > getting nowhere.
    >
    > cheers
    > Mick

    Try browsing the glossary on his website. You'll be surprised where it
    leads you and what you'll find.

    --
    BrettS

  9. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    trek-man <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How
    > is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep
    > getting nowhere.

    You need to learns the 'Joy of Google'. Google's going take over the
    world, seriously. Just hope they live by their 'do no evil' motto...

    To find what you wanted I just put the following into google :

    hub cassette sheldon

    The first hit takes you to a page that has your info, and pretty
    pictures.

    Other cool google things (whack the following into google)

    100 kilograms in pounds

    1+2

    30 miles per hour in metres per second

    40 horsepower in kilowatts

    30 kilometers per hour in furlongs per fortnight

    (Okay, I'm getting silly now, but you get the idea. :)

    --
    ..dt