What's the worth of training on a FIXED GEAR BIKE?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
I've talked to a few(mainly older riders) re building up and training on a fixie. Most who'd done it/do it now recommended it to build leg strength(can't change down up hills) and spin(can't change up down hills).
The idea of having a minimalist bike appeals to me too(gear freak).
But would it really help?
My knees aren't the best - wouldn't it kill them both ways - up & down hills too?
Would my wife say "Not another bike you're trying to justify Paul?!(she always uses my name when she's not happy with me:p )

Thoughts go underneath folk:)

Why not go single speed and see how you like it? I still don't fully understand why I like it so much!

You can get some pretty cheap conversion kits for a freehub wheel, at least then you can coast down the hills after you spin yourself out and you don't have to invest in a fixed wheel. You could convert one of your other bikes this way and then your Missus might be a little happier too!

If you're in the UK On-One do a kit for a tenner, its a splined track cog and two spacers. If you're really lazy you can leave the derailieur on as a chain tensioner, but then you won't quite get the benefits of not lugging around all of that hardware.

I think it's a great fun way to stay in shape year round, as you can toy around on a single speed in the winter and not worry about number crunching, and stay more balanced with fast and slow paces because of only one gear