What's this about HIGHWALKERS?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by billgout, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. billgout

    billgout New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Saw this Rich Pinto comment. Can't figure out what are highwalkers?
    Anyone know about this terminology?

    Bill

    _________________

    Will you guys please stop calling my bike a Highwalker. The reason that JV, JS and I are walking and not riding is because we all got worn out trying to catch a lowracer on one of the big climbs at the rally.

    We normally do not walk our bikes. You folks here have to understand that we got all out asses kicked and almost had to be carted away by ambulances. Walking our bikes allowed us to catch our breath and save taxpayers the expense of 3 ambulances.

    We all learned our lesson that day. None of us will ever try to go as fast as a lowracer ever again. It is impossible for any Killer B team member to go as fast as those darn lowracers.

    Rich Pinto

    Tags:

  2. raffiman

    raffiman Guest

    I copied this link from a post on "Monkey Island" which shows someone walking a high wheeled bike. There was some reference to it indicating this is the new Bachetta "Highwalker" as the bike of the year.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vrex_24/detail?.dir=4f91&.dnm=5712.jpg

    BTW, the url for Monkey Island is http://www.sethj.com/monkeyisland

    Raffi

  3. billgout

    billgout New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Raffi,

    Thanks for the links to Monkey Island, http://www.sethj.com/monkeyisland!

    I just went there and read an interesting thread regarding the Bitshidda Ti-Slowgo Highwalker vs. the No Com Ultralow Splitter Carbon lowracer. There sure seems to be a lot of animosity on that site though I would put my $$$ on the lowracer winning the challenge.

    http://www.sethj.com/monkeyisland/viewtopic.php?t=570

    Bill

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    billgout wrote:

    > Saw this Rich Pinto comment. Can't figure out what are highwalkers?
    > Anyone know about this terminology?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > _________________

    > a Highwalker
    >

    > Will you guys please stop calling my bike a Highwalker. The reason that
    > JV, JS and I are walking and not riding is because we all got worn out
    > trying to catch a lowracer on one of the big climbs at the rally.
    >
    > We normally do not walk our bikes. You folks here have to understand
    > that we got all out asses kicked and almost had to be carted away by
    > ambulances. Walking our bikes allowed us to catch our breath and save
    > taxpayers the expense of 3 ambulances.
    >
    > We all learned our lesson that day. None of us will ever try to go as
    > fast as a lowracer ever again. It is impossible for any Killer B team
    > member to go as fast as those darn lowracers.
    >
    > Rich Pinto

    Get ye back to the Island, Monkey!

    The above post is almost certainly not by Rich Pinto.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

  5. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vrex_24/detail?.dir=4f91&.dnm=5712.jpg
    >
    > Raffi

    The link in question is a pic of Mark Colliton, taken by me at the
    BROL rally this year (2004.) He is pictured walking to the lunch stop,
    up a gravel driveway. The grade was somewhere north of 10%, traction
    was poor, and there were enough large stones scattered about to
    threaten everyone's rims. Mark has no delusions of being a racer and
    had nothing to prove. I can personally assure you that no lowracer
    riders rode up the hill. In fact, TMK the only hpvs to be ridden up
    the hill were a few trikes and a Volae ridden by a certain Mr.
    Markham. The monkeys at MI could have attended the Rally and
    demonstrated their prowess, but... any adventures they have outside
    the zoo, are strictly in their imagination.

    Here is the link to all my BROL pics.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vrex_...tp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vrex_24/my_photos

  6. billgout

    billgout New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    John,

    By your own admission, other bikes were ridden up the road, even another narrow tired Volae HIGHWALKER. The fact that you documented 4 Bachetta riders walking rather than riding clearly demonstrate where the nomenclature "HIGHWALKER" is derived from.

    Your statement for Monkeys or anyone else to prove prowess is clearly meaningless at a recreational rally (BROL) attended by typical FOG'S. You DO know what FOG stands for?

  7. billgout

    billgout New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Raffi,

    I've perused the site and read an interesting thread with shocking pictures at the bottom regarding Recumbent Cyclist News.

    http://www.sethj.com/monkeyisland/viewtopic.php?t=592

    Bill

  8. brian martin

    brian martin Guest

    billgout wrote:
    > John Foltz Wrote:
    >
    >>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vrex_24/detail?.dir=4f91&.dnm=5712.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Raffi
    >>>

    >>The link in question is a pic of Mark Colliton, taken by me at the
    >>BROL rally this year (2004.) He is pictured walking to the lunch stop,
    >>up a gravel driveway. The grade was somewhere north of 10%, traction
    >>was poor, and there were enough large stones scattered about to
    >>threaten everyone's rims. Mark has no delusions of being a racer and
    >>had nothing to prove. I can personally assure you that no lowracer
    >>riders rode up the hill. In fact, TMK the only hpvs to be ridden up
    >>the hill were a few trikes and a Volae ridden by a certain Mr.
    >>Markham. The monkeys at MI could have attended the Rally and
    >>demonstrated their prowess, but... any adventures they have outside
    >>the zoo, are strictly in their imagination.
    >>
    >>Here is the link to all my BROL pics.
    >>http://tinyurl.com/4lyf9

    > John,
    >
    > By your own admission, other bikes were ridden up the road, even
    > another narrow tired Volae HIGHWALKER. The fact that you documented 4
    > Bachetta riders walking rather than riding clearly demonstrate where the
    > nomenclature "HIGHWALKER" is derived from.
    >
    > Your statement for Monkeys or anyone else to prove prowess is clearly
    > meaningless at a recreational rally (BROL) attended by typical FOG'S.
    > You DO know what FOG stands for?

    I was a witness to the hill at BROL. I told my son to walk the hill to
    protect his wheels (upright racer), and I myself walked my Rocket up the
    hill. I did however see some who did ride up the hill. One of which was
    Vic on his fully suspended HP Streetmachine, and the other was the
    youngest bent rider I have seen on a Linear. Up here in Canada we do
    not have to many recumbents. SO I notice that she has also won a USCF
    race, from the Linear list.

    Cut >>>
    From the Linear list.