What's this?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Roos Eisma, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    No pictures, so I'll try to describe it...

    On today's walk, near the end (just above Inverinain in Glen Lyon) we
    passed a sort of cage made of metal wire netting, a couple of meters
    cubic. Inside were bits of deer (heads, legs, intestines), the roof had a
    sort of funnel in it, all made of wire netting as well. On top a few more
    bits of deer.
    Is this some sort of trap?

    Roos

    Tags:

  2. Idris

    Idris Guest

    Sounds like a magpie trap.

    Gerald
    "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > No pictures, so I'll try to describe it...
    >
    > On today's walk, near the end (just above Inverinain in Glen Lyon) we
    > passed a sort of cage made of metal wire netting, a couple of meters
    > cubic. Inside were bits of deer (heads, legs, intestines), the roof had a
    > sort of funnel in it, all made of wire netting as well. On top a few more
    > bits of deer.
    > Is this some sort of trap?
    >
    > Roos

  3. Idris typed:
    Sounds like a magpie trap.

    Definitely a 'vermin' trap of some sort. Lots of glens on 'commercial'
    estates have similar items. A bit smelly, but I suppose that's a small price
    to pay for enticing rich Italians to come over here and shoot at anything
    that moves :-o !!
    --
    Andy Crawford
    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

    Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

  4. Jeff C

    Jeff C Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:53:35 +0000, Roos Eisma wrote:
    > No pictures, so I'll try to describe it...
    >
    > On today's walk, near the end (just above Inverinain in Glen Lyon)
    > we passed a sort of cage made of metal wire netting, a couple of
    > meters cubic. Inside were bits of deer (heads, legs, intestines),
    > the roof had a sort of funnel in it, all made of wire netting as
    > well. On top a few more bits of deer. Is this some sort of trap?
    >
    > Roos

    Did it look similar to this?

    http://www.trapman.co.uk/metal-larsen-trap.htm

    If it was then it is a corvid trap.

    Regards Jeff.

    www.astrecks.co.uk

    If it works..............DON'T fix it
    No Virus Checker? try this free one from AVG it is very good:-
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    For a new experience in e-mail clients try:- http://www.pocomail.com/
    Kill SPAM forever! Protect your family with Spamjab from:-
    http://www.spamjab.com/

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jeff C wrote:

    > Did it look similar to this?
    >
    > http://www.trapman.co.uk/metal-larsen-trap.htm

    No, substantially bigger (almost 2m high, 2m long and 1.5 wide) and made
    of chicken wire. Clearly aimed at birds of some sort, with access
    through the funnel which opened out at the top with the narrow end about
    30cm from the ground, so I guess it would be very difficult for a bird
    to fly out. There were some "tasters" laid on the top, before the more
    substantial meal inside.

    I've not seen anything quite like it before that I recall.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jeff C wrote:

    > Did it look similar to this?
    >
    > http://www.trapman.co.uk/metal-larsen-trap.htm

    No, substantially bigger (almost 2m high, 2m long and 1.5 wide) and made
    of chicken wire. Clearly aimed at birds of some sort, with access
    through the funnel which opened out at the top with the narrow end about
    30cm from the ground, so I guess it would be very difficult for a bird
    to fly out. There were some "tasters" laid on the top, before the more
    substantial meal inside.

    I've not seen anything quite like it before that I recall.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    * of violets, as Roos Eisma <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
    * of golden sunlight, and announced:

    > Is this some sort of trap?

    I've seen the same on the Invercauld Estate. Inside the trap was a dish of
    water and a small shelter, so I thought they were to trap something but not
    subsequently kill it - maybe buzzards for ringing.

    Jim Ford

  8. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    * of violets, as Roos Eisma <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
    * of golden sunlight, and announced:

    > Is this some sort of trap?

    I've seen the same on the Invercauld Estate. Inside the trap was a dish of
    water and a small shelter, so I thought they were to trap something but not
    subsequently kill it - maybe buzzards for ringing.

    Jim Ford

  9. i have used their milia treatment for milia seed on my eye brown area
    and below cheek. after three applications, i noticed a reduction in the
    milia size, quite impressed as i thought only laser surgery can solve
    my problem.
    --------------------------------
    [email protected]
    i keep seeing reviews and raves about this
    http://www.naturalisproducts.com and
    http://www.organiconline.com.sg . many people are discussing in beauty
    forums and magazines have positive reviews on this . but this thing
    ain't new, its
    been around for many years! anyone tried can feedback to me on exactly
    how good it is?

    can anyone help me please, am looking for the local distributor or any
    shop selling the naturalis range of skin and body care products, from
    this company http://www.naturalisproducts.com . looking for this
    urgently. for those who have not come across it, its some foodbased
    anti-aging products. i googled for this and received result showing its
    available at http://www.organiconline.com.sg. i need this
    urgently but shipping from singapore will take some time, if anyone is
    distributing this please contact me at [email protected]
    urgently. i have a group of us looking to buy this. thanks!

  10. i have used their milia treatment for milia seed on my eye brown area
[...]

  11. "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > No pictures, so I'll try to describe it...
    >
    > On today's walk, near the end (just above Inverinain in Glen Lyon) we
    > passed a sort of cage made of metal wire netting, a couple of meters
    > cubic. Inside were bits of deer (heads, legs, intestines), the roof had a
    > sort of funnel in it, all made of wire netting as well. On top a few more
    > bits of deer.
    > Is this some sort of trap?
    >
    > Roos

    It is a crow trap. I once came across one and didn't like the look of it
    thinking it might be to trap birds of prey. I called the police and spoke to
    their wildlife liaison man who came out and went to look at it. He said the
    farmers put them out to reduce the crow population prior to lambing time as
    the crows go for the lambs eyes. They're perfectly legal so long as they are
    checked daily

    Bob

  12. bob watkinson wrote:

    > It is a crow trap

    OMG! The lengths that some GOMLs will go to stop the public from
    exercising thier legal right to roam !!

    Chris

  13. In message <[email protected]>, Jim Ford
    <[email protected]> writes
    >* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    >* of violets, as Roos Eisma <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
    >* of golden sunlight, and announced:
    >
    >> Is this some sort of trap?

    >I've seen the same on the Invercauld Estate. Inside the trap was a dish of
    >water and a small shelter, so I thought they were to trap something but not
    >subsequently kill it - maybe buzzards for ringing.

    I've seen these with crows inside. As far as I know they are for
    trapping crows, which are then killed. The ones I've seen round here
    (Seafield Estate, Strathspey) were put up by the local gamekeeper.

  14. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    (Peter Clinch) wrote:

    > No, substantially bigger (almost 2m high, 2m long and 1.5 wide) and
    > made of chicken wire. Clearly aimed at birds of some sort, with access
    > through the funnel which opened out at the top with the narrow end
    > about 30cm from the ground, so I guess it would be very difficult for a
    > bird to fly out. There were some "tasters" laid on the top, before the
    > more substantial meal inside.

    I've seen these in the borders. a couple on the hill near Dear Water IIRC.
    They are traps for large birds. The one I passed had a sign on it saying
    that was the purpose AND that it was checked daily.
    Surprised they had bait on the outside, must have been some left overs.

    cheers,
    Rob

  15. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    (Peter Clinch) wrote:

    > No, substantially bigger (almost 2m high, 2m long and 1.5 wide) and
    > made of chicken wire. Clearly aimed at birds of some sort, with access
    > through the funnel which opened out at the top with the narrow end
    > about 30cm from the ground, so I guess it would be very difficult for a
    > bird to fly out. There were some "tasters" laid on the top, before the
    > more substantial meal inside.

    I've seen these in the borders. a couple on the hill near Dear Water IIRC.
    They are traps for large birds. The one I passed had a sign on it saying
    that was the purpose AND that it was checked daily.
    Surprised they had bait on the outside, must have been some left overs.

    cheers,
    Rob

  16. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >I've seen these in the borders. a couple on the hill near Dear Water IIRC.
    >They are traps for large birds. The one I passed had a sign on it saying
    >that was the purpose AND that it was checked daily.
    >Surprised they had bait on the outside, must have been some left overs.

    They are often Larsen traps... The "bait" is a live corvid... The
    others pop by for a visit and are dispatched. Or passed to another
    gamey for use as a "judas bird" in their trap. They have to be checked
    regularly and will contain food an water for the lure..

    I hav e seen them being checked when on the hill.

    Richard Webb