What's Up With All The People In Racing Suits And Expensive Bikes?

Darktone

Jul 1, 2015
I started riding bikes again after twenty years of a break. Now it seems like every other person has more money in their bike outfits than I do in my bike ($650 bike). On my Hybrid I fly by groups of these riders with ease- usually cruise around 18mph these days. Only have had a couple people pass me this summer and they were both older than me I am 51. Is this more of a status thing to have this equipment than really being functional? They look ridiculous when riding as fast as a 12 year old kid. I get a lot of snobbish looks or remarks when I pass them.

They might be doing some training, like spinning or mashing.

So many of them out this weekend when I went for my Sunday cruise. Mostly like Volnix said they all seem to be part of a group/team/club.
Some just suffer from "stuffitis" where they have to buy all kinds of specialized junk in order to do any activity.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SFqV0hMyo

They look ridiculous and all non cyclists lump these posers in with the real cyclists which make the guys and gals that really put in the time look as bad as the posers. Like the preppy Harley riders trying to look like outlaw bikers.

Bike Snob- Definition: Anyone that has better equipment than you.

Or it could be once you get all this fancy stuff you think you are a few steps above the guy that does not use this stuff.

This thread reminds me of a little girl whom we saw in a mountain resort. Since that place is only for the rich, I understood that girl with a new mountain bike, the smaller version though. She was fixing her gear - helmet and with light even that was morning, knee pads and elbow pad, cushion vest. And when she took to the saddle and started on, it didn't take long for her to crash. We rushed to her aid only to learn that she's still trying to learn how to ride. A student with complete riding paraphernalia, huh.

Corzhens said:
This thread reminds me of a little girl whom we saw in a mountain resort. Since that place is only for the rich, I understood that girl with a new mountain bike, the smaller version though. She was fixing her gear - helmet and with light even that was morning, knee pads and elbow pad, cushion vest. And when she took to the saddle and started on, it didn't take long for her to crash. We rushed to her aid only to learn that she's still trying to learn how to ride. A student with complete riding paraphernalia, huh.

That's really interesting to read. I think it's ridiculous. When I was a kid, I got a bike that had some support wheels. Those wheels quickly came off, and yes, I did crash a few times into the bushes and on some gravel, but I didn't have any helmet, knee pads, elbow pads or cushion vest. And I am really grateful for that. I was just a kid learning to ride a bike in a simple, uncomplicated way, like millions of other kids around the world.
To this day I don't wear any kind of special bike riding outfit. I wear what feels comfortable to me. I am not in a bike fashion competition with others.

I try not to let stuff like what people where or how much they spend on their gear bother me. In the end it doesn't really matter and I would just be raising my blood pressure of absolutely nothing. I don't really care what they think of what I'm wearing or my gear so why should I care about theirs? As far as remarks go just remember "Sticks and stones..." and ride on. People get snooty and petty, let it be their problem instead of yours.

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
So many of them out this weekend when I went for my Sunday cruise. Mostly like Volnix said they all seem to be part of a group/team/club.
Some just suffer from "stuffitis" where they have to buy all kinds of specialized junk in order to do any activity.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SFqV0hMyo

Sometimes they get discounts from team sponsors too. Sometimes...

You guys are lycra haters? :D What else can you wear in this heat? Cotton? :D

#LycraRulezOK? :D

Lycra short and a jersey are not considered racing suits. They are worn in the same sense a fireman wears protective gear and a helmet. The bibs or shorts have a built in pad that protects your butt on a long ride and the jerseys are made of breathable material and have pockets to carry necessities. Of course if you are riding 5 miles around the block then a hybrid and a pair of cutoffs are just fine but won't do well on a 60 mille ride.
As far as other equipment I use to ride on cheap **** but that was I what could afford at the time. As far as passing me at 18 mph hour on a flat road, I don't see it happening unless I am slowing to a stop. On the other hand why does a car need a windshield? It is in a larger sense only a convenience and not a necessity.

The point is I don't think 18mph is fast. If me a 51 year old forty pound overweight guy can pass all these Tour de France posers then they really are posers dressed up like the real cyclist such as yourself. I think it cheapens what the guys like you work hard at.

In the end it comes down to freedom of speach. I dislike a lot of things I see but ultimately I try to not let it bother me. As far as 18 mph being fast, it really depends on the terrain. Quintana was doing only 13 up Alp D'Huez.

Darktone said:
I started riding bikes again after twenty years of a break. Now it seems like every other person has more money in their bike outfits than I do in my bike ($650 bike). On my Hybrid I fly by groups of these riders with ease- usually cruise around 18mph these days. Only have had a couple people pass me this summer and they were both older than me I am 51. Is this more of a status thing to have this equipment than really being functional? They look ridiculous when riding as fast as a 12 year old kid. I get a lot of snobbish looks or remarks when I pass them.
It's the new corporate golf, so they have to play the part, buy expensive bikes and gear just as they did when golf ruled the corporate world. Most of these guys couldn't even play golf all that well, but they would go out and spend $1,000 or more just on one club and golf equipment manufactures knew this so they kept jacked the price of golf equipment through the roof with fancy scientific "facts" and or inventions to prove this or that golf club would improve their game, this is now happening to the cycling industry.

And speaking of that cycling is making a big turn to be more in that direction I believe. There have been for quite some time now a slow trend of Cycling pubs popping up in trendier cities, a pub which will become the new golf club house, a place cyclists can go and have their beers and hang out with other cyclists, on a much smaller conversion a few LBS's have converted floor space to do that as well, so why have a club house someplace different than a LBS? You didn't play golf then drive 8 or so miles to a "golf" pub. Last week Trek announced that they will begin selling to customers direct and the LBS won't have to stock so many bikes though they will receive the bike into the shop as which time they will service it and call the customer for them to pick it up, this means floor space can be freed up to offer such things like coffee, beer, food, etc, I think once LBS's see that their floor space is freed up there won't be a need for a separate pub, you just ride on down to your closest LBS meet the gang there have a beer or 10 and discuss business and browse the store, this will increase sales of services, accessories, and clothing which has more profit than a bike does anyways. A lot of LBS's will miss the boat if they refuse to conform to this, as others in their area will conform the business will shift to those that do. Just my thought.

Reactions: SirAskalot
Yeah, there's a place here in Pittsburgh's Southside called The Bike Bar. They've got bike racks embedded into the concrete. People lock their bikes and come inside for beer and pub grub. Decent enough place. Just went there once. Haven't seen anything like what is described above. Doesn't mean there aren't any. Just haven't run across one.

welshdude3 said:
Yeah, there's a place here in Pittsburgh's Southside called The Bike Bar. They've got bike racks embedded into the concrete. People lock their bikes and come inside for beer and pub grub. Decent enough place. Just went there once. Haven't seen anything like what is described above. Doesn't mean there aren't any. Just haven't run across one.
I found this article about LBS's with pubs, I didn't list the ones with coffee shops inside but these do that as well: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/the-rise-of-the-bike-shopbar.html If you google "bicycle shops with coffee bars" a list of a bunch of LBS's around the country will pop up. I doubt those are the only LBS's with bars at this time, but possibly, but I do know this, more will come.

http://draftmag.com/pubs-we-love-bicycle-bars/ List of just pubs with cycling theme.

Well, let's see.....
I'll be hitting Walmart here in a little while, riding my 1960's or so Nottingham-made Raleigh Sprite, which I found at a thrift shop for under $ 20, platform pedals. panniers, metal basket in the front...it's the shopping bike.
I'll be dressed in normal baggy shorts and a t-shirt, possibly hoodie, it's a little chilly this morning with the wind.
Later on tonight, on my way to the club, it'll be the 1970's KHS FF Sport 10-speed - the commuter bike - which I got for free from a former brother-in-law, apparel consisting of rolled-up jeans and a (different) t-shirt.
Not sure if I'll pass anyone, but they probably didn't get up at 4 a.m, and they probably won't be dancing with 20-something hotties at night, either......

Froze said:
I found this article about LBS's with pubs, I didn't list the ones with coffee shops inside but these do that as well: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/the-rise-of-the-bike-shopbar.html If you google "bicycle shops with coffee bars" a list of a bunch of LBS's around the country will pop up. I doubt those are the only LBS's with bars at this time, but possibly, but I do know this, more will come.

http://draftmag.com/pubs-we-love-bicycle-bars/ List of just pubs with cycling theme.
Almost 14 years ago today I visited Sedona Bike and Bean in Sedona, Arizona while on a mountain biking trip. I'm not a coffee drinker, but, I thought it was a pretty novel idea. I just checked the web to see if they are still around, and, sure enough they are, and their website's tagline is " The Original Bike Shop~Coffee Shop" !