What's up with David Millar's mechanicals??

Victor Kan

Guest
So a few years ago, his chain bounces off his single chainring, front
derailleur-less TT bike in the end of a TdF prologue, costing him a
win by a single second or so, this year he has two, rear disc wheel de-
laminations in the first km or so of the final TT on two different
bikes.

What's up with that? Is he the unluckiest TT rider, or is he making
poor bike tech choices that come back to bite him?

In article <[email protected]>,
Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:

> So a few years ago, his chain bounces off his single chainring, front
> derailleur-less TT bike in the end of a TdF prologue, costing him a
> win by a single second or so, this year he has two, rear disc wheel
> de- laminations in the first km or so of the final TT on two
> different bikes.
>
> What's up with that? Is he the unluckiest TT rider, or is he making
> poor bike tech choices that come back to bite him?

I think that luck is a minimum factor in a TT and that he- and/or his
mechanics- have made poor decisions. Although in the case of the
disintegrating Mavic wheels the reasons for the failure are not yet
known. Leaving the front derailleur off on a bike with modern cut-down
gear teeth doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Troll..

bicycle_disciple <[email protected]> wrote:

> Troll..
>

> On Jul 29, 11:49 am, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Victor Kan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > So a few years ago, his chain bounces off his single chainring, front
> > > derailleur-less TT bike in the end of a TdF prologue, costing him a
> > > win by a single second or so, this year he has two, rear disc wheel
> > > de- laminations in the first km or so of the final TT on two
> > > different bikes.

> > > What's up with that? Is he the unluckiest TT rider, or is he making
> > > poor bike tech choices that come back to bite him?

> > I think that luck is a minimum factor in a TT and that he- and/or his
> > mechanics- have made poor decisions. Although in the case of the
> > disintegrating Mavic wheels the reasons for the failure are not yet
> > known. Leaving the front derailleur off on a bike with modern cut-down
> > gear teeth doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Top poster... did you have an actual point?