what's up with radio shack?

Originally Posted by McLoki .

I would get two of these.... They are dirt cheap, but acutally work really well. I have one but do not really ride at night very much (just got it for when I need to ride home after dark or whatever). They are very bright, but the beam width is not very wide, two of them should work pretty well for you though.

For a planned night ride, two of them (one on each side of your stem) should give you plenty of illumination for a ride in the dark.

Give them a try - you will be shocked at the quality (considering the price).

Michael
i was wondering if you could post some sort of comparison photos. say like, 1 photo of the ebay light in the dark with a comparison photo with a maglite or something.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/900-Lumen-LED-Bike-Light-Bike-Rider-NiteSTAR-for-Road-Bikes-Mountain-Bikes wonderfully bright...you can get the same from dealextreme for less but not by much.

I was on Peter White's web site and they have a dynamo light that according to the pics is very bright. I guess dynamo technology and the lights for those have changed dramatically over the years. But they are also expensive. The hub models can actually have a plug inserted with some sort of converter that you can charge phones, GPS's etc while you ride. That's pretty cool.

Ig, that looks great! Thank you, sir.

If you could give a link? And maybe those of us in the US can find an equivalent/identical light from a domestic supplier...

Years ago I had a "flying saucer" shaped tent-light,48 LED, four AA batteries. It made wonderful white (not blue-ish) light,
would have been nearly ideal for flooding the road (used it for dog walks then, not biking).

Point: I bet your fork mounted light is even better for flooding the road without blinding traffic. It looks like a brilliant, practical set up.

-------------

Am presently running a "see me" light, pedal-powered by the Trek Lime's Shimano hub magento.
It flickers nicely, as LED lights without a rectifier circuit and buffer capacitor will tend to flicker
(I like the flicker at low speed, and it is nearly steady at high speed).
Incandescent lamps do not flicker on magneto power due to thermal lag of the heated filament:
they keep glowing between current alternations.

My little see-me light is attention-getting, but it is not the useful flood/driving light that you share above;
I'd need to full wave rectify and filter...yet...this particular hub dynamo is not meant for the Lime for road lighting;
it's merely a power source for the Lime's Shimano Coasting system automatic shifter.

Even so, the magneto works the very same way
as the Model T Ford's ignition/lighting magneto of 1908 to 1927:
http://tinyurl.com/4n6rx3y
(it is not "sui generis", btw....)

[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]At basis, the Shimano, and all bike hub and bottle "generators" work[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]the same way as magnetos (the truly correct term) made even before 1849: [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]tech: http://tinyurl.com/69dkp3k [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]double duty magneto powers the Trek Lime gear shift and now an added see-me light[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]demo below, made for this posting, makes clear how easily any hub magneto can light[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]LEDs, but first it is dark, a delay, while the magneto charges-up the Shimano Coasting[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]shifter motor...then the LED cluster fires up.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px](this epoxy-potted 12LED unit operates on AC or DC up to 100V, it was a custom job)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)][SIZE= 11px]Flashes at any speed over 5mph[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]. This particular light is not useful for road lighting, not from this AC power source;[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]only good here for being seen, day or night. It is a characteristic of magnetos that they output a raw[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]voltage of rather high and rough-waveform AC. Therefore, they can make LED lamps[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]snap on and off with great brilliance. This modest-sized hub would hardly light a 3W regular bulb;[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]such a load would probably stop the Coasting system shifter from working, due to [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]too much power drain. Magnetos on bikes are not magically efficient at generating juice,[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]they are simply simple and trouble-free. And if they are made to give, say: six watts on tap,[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]that result would cost you something on the order of churning out 12 watts of =your= muscle power[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]due to the inherent losses of kinetic energy conversion from bio-electric to bio-mechanical, to electrical[/COLOR][/SIZE],
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]and then at last, the loss of power in conversion of electrical power to visible light. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]Nothing is free but sunshine.[/COLOR]...[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]Quote:[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]http://www.ebikes.ca/lights/[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]Front 12 LED with Button: [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]The front light encases a dozen ultra-bright white LEDs in epoxy [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]with a total LED power consumption of about 1 Watt. [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]It will shine with equal intensity from 15V up to 100V, [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)]with some brightness from 11 - 15V. [/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 11px]The 12 LED array is bright enough to light up a wide swath of the road in front[/COLOR].[/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]Last thoughts: [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]Ig's set-up must be about the best and cheapest for the thread-starter's needs...[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]...he's got a renewable power source and known-ample flood light.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]I too would love a powerful front flood array of LEDs powered from battery, consuming only a few watts.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]Alas, none of the three AAA type LED lights can really output more than one Watt for any length of time;[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]the characteristics of alkaline AAA cells and AA cells are so poor as to make it impossible to sustain[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]high drain rates. They'll be bright only for a few minutes, relatively, then wimp out pretty fast, in less than an hour.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]We just can't get "5 Watts" of light from this emotionally-appealing light, no way, sorry, not from alkaline cells:[/COLOR]
http://tinyurl.com/65m5vxr

[COLOR= rgb(0, 128, 128)]Reid[/COLOR]

I really like the idea of a hub "dynamo"
(misnomer; all are magnetos by formal definition of the distant past),
and I have one on my daily bike, it came with it, standard,

see long posting above...but...do not dream too freely, guys.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Reality check here:
http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/dynamo.html

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] Quote: [/COLOR]What’s Wrong With Dynamo Powered Lights
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]In my view, and in the view of many bicycle safety experts, [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]dynamos are usually not an attractive option. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]This is for reasons of both cost and performance. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]Decent dynamo light sets are much more costly than [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]decent battery powered lights, and the battery powered[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]lights have vastly superior illumination than even [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]the most expensive dynamo powered system. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]The problem is that a dynamo driven by a bicycle [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]is very limited in the amount of power that can be generated.[/COLOR]

Nothing is free but sunshine....

http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/dynamo.html#Facts_about_Dynamo_Systems
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] Quote: Why can’t someone make a dynamo that produces more power?
They can, but it would create so much drag that it would be impractical. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] A human can produce about 125 watts of power by pedaling (one-sixth horsepower). [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] Most of the power input on a moving bicycle is used to overcome road resistance [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] and wind resistance. Even a 3W generator adds a noticeable amount of drag. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)] A 20W generator would be very heavy and create an undesirable amount of drag.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px]________________________________________________________________[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]Here, the most impressive, successful, home-brew bike-electrical magneto I've found on YT. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)](it is a magneto in principle when the brushless motor is used this way)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11px][COLOR= rgb(47, 79, 79)]"Easily makes..." and it does if you don't mind working rather hard for...light work.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]Perhaps one of the best, most above-board sites for bike lighting ins and outs:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]http://nordicgroup.us/s78/[/COLOR]
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froze .

I was on Peter White's web site and they have a dynamo light that according to the pics is very bright.
I guess dynamo technology and the lights for those have changed dramatically over the years.
But they are also expensive. The hub models can actually have a plug inserted with some sort of converter
that you can charge phones, GPS's etc while you ride. That's pretty cool.