what's up with radio shack?

Originally Posted by GetSetGoSports .

If you like the Cateyes, they have this comparison chart.

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/upload/manuals/en/LIGHT%20POS%20USA%20081009.pdf (opens a .pdf file)
You'll note that the EL 530 is quite a bit brighter than the EL-135. Brighter is safer in my opinion.  
This is a pretty cool website that shows how the lights from a different manufacturer compare to each other.
http://planetbike.com/page/learn/lightfinder/
Just click on the models on the right side to see how bright their modes are. You can get their models from other websites cheaper than on the manufacturer's website. Just find the model you like, then google it.

Good Luck!

TYVM!! the links are amazing! They have really helped :) im going to try and import that blaze 2w to the uk! comes to about £35 :D cheers!

I assume you are not in the US? I have two of these and they are excellent.
Very bright and the batteries last several weeks riding everyday,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-Dawn-Patrol-Headlight/10400619?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10400619

Most bang for the buck if you don't mind a bit of tinkering and weight is to get a 12V halogen light w/ integrated reflector and a 12V lead-acid battery. Can be cobbled together any old how, lights are available in various powers and dispersion angles.

Originally Posted by dabac .

Most bang for the buck if you don't mind a bit of tinkering and weight is to get a 12V halogen light w/ integrated reflector and a 12V lead-acid battery. Can be cobbled together any old how, lights are available in various powers and dispersion angles.
Unfortunatly im awful with stuff like that. :( id end up blowing me self up no doubt! I just bought a light online..turned out to be from the U.S and i faced quite hefty custom charges -_- .. GRR

I'm in a similar position - I ride for fitness & at this time of year I need lights for an evening ride & soon will for the mornings.
I'm not impressed by the modern LED bike lights I see, especially the flashing ones, they do not give enough visibility.
I bought 2 LED lights which are not specifically for bikes. The front is a rectangular worklight with an illuminated area about 8"x1½" & 72 white LEDS. It runs off 4 AA batteries. They are currently £6 in ASDA. I mounted it vertically off the offside front fork. For the rear I have a round LED light of similar construction but with 24 white LEDs, running off 3 AAA batteries. I tried replacing the LEDs with red ones but the white were brighter with a piece of red gel inserted behind the lens for the same current consumption. This is mounted under the saddle. I sealed round the lenses & switches from inside with silicone to keep the rain out. I run rechargable batteries in both & these last me a week (3x1hr rides) before recharging. A disadvantage of the round light is that you need a screwdriver to take the batteries out. I built a pair of chargers & added a socket to each light so I just plug my bike in overnight, once a week.
The front light is impressive for it's power. I mainly stick to quiet backroads where there is no streetlighting & I'm pleased with the result. The rear shows up well even in town.
For added safety, I also wear a pair of reflective armbands with flashing red LEDs facing backwards - around my ankles.

Originally Posted by Big Ig .

I'm in a similar position - I ride for fitness & at this time of year I need lights for an evening ride & soon will for the mornings.
I'm not impressed by the modern LED bike lights I see, especially the flashing ones, they do not give enough visibility.
I bought 2 LED lights which are not specifically for bikes. The front is a rectangular worklight with an illuminated area about 8"x1½" & 72 white LEDS. It runs off 4 AA batteries. They are currently £6 in ASDA. I mounted it vertically off the offside front fork. For the rear I have a round LED light of similar construction but with 24 white LEDs, running off 3 AAA batteries. I tried replacing the LEDs with red ones but the white were brighter with a piece of red gel inserted behind the lens for the same current consumption. This is mounted under the saddle. I sealed round the lenses & switches from inside with silicone to keep the rain out. I run rechargable batteries in both & these last me a week (3x1hr rides) before recharging. A disadvantage of the round light is that you need a screwdriver to take the batteries out. I built a pair of chargers & added a socket to each light so I just plug my bike in overnight, once a week.
The front light is impressive for it's power. I mainly stick to quiet backroads where there is no streetlighting & I'm pleased with the result. The rear shows up well even in town.
For added safety, I also wear a pair of reflective armbands with flashing red LEDs facing backwards - around my ankles.
That's impressive /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif would love to see a photo of them ...

...I'm not impressed by the modern LED bike lights I see, especially the flashing ones, they do not give enough visibility.

There are lights to see by and lights to be seen by. The former will do the job of the latter, but not the other way around. Don't count LEDs out offhand though, there are certainly LEDs which work just fine for navigational purposes too.

.. For the rear I have a round LED light of similar construction but with 24 white LEDs,

Be aware that rearwards facing white may not comply with road traffic regulations.

I'm not too fond of flashing lights. I find it harder to judge distance/approach speed to those. Moving and flashing - even more so. I've made a point of not using any lights on my bike w/o testing how it looks like from the other end first. But reds are usually not intense enough to cause an issue.

I have been looking for a light set, as yet only riding during the day but I did find one of the led front lights (5 leds, with 7 modes). It was fitted to a zimmer frame we collected, it's now on my bike. Will have to try it in the dark to see how it performs.

Do like the idea of the krypton bulb lamp & external power pack.

AdamKnox. You shouldn't worry about blowing yourself up. If you don't blow yourself up then all's well, it you do, it's too lat to start worring /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Piccies as requested.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

That's impressive /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif would love to see a photo of them ...

Quote from dabac:
"Be aware that rearwards facing white may not comply with road traffic regulations".

Dabac, please re-read my post - I said I used red gel over the white LEDs.

Quote from dabac:
"Be aware that rearwards facing white may not comply with road traffic regulations".

Dabac, please re-read my post - I said I used red gel over the white LEDs.
Ah, for some reason I got the sequence flipped over - that you started out red (with gel over white), and then removed something to get a brighter white instead. My bad.

I saw the Planet Light Blaze 2 watt job and it's not very bright, especially useless for off road use. You can get a Cygolite ExpiliOn 150 (the 150 stands for lumens) for $73.93 on sale at REI, that's only $20 more then the Blaze and it's at least 4 times brighter.

There's another Cygolite called ExpiliOn 180 that is of course brighter then the 150 for only $20 more then the 150. Go to Direct Bicycle Parts.com

Neither of these lights use an external battery, the rechargeable battery is self contained inside the headlight.

I have the ExpiliOn 250 that cost $123 at Direct Bicycle Parts, and thing is way brighter then I need for street use most of the time, but on trails it's more then adequate. This light I have replaces a MagicShine that I had which was brighter but it only lasted 6 months (actually 5 months but I fixed it) and the warranty lasted 3 months; and the problems I had were similar to problems some other users had.

I would get two of these.... They are dirt cheap, but acutally work really well. I have one but do not really ride at night very much (just got it for when I need to ride home after dark or whatever). They are very bright, but the beam width is not very wide, two of them should work pretty well for you though.

For a planned night ride, two of them (one on each side of your stem) should give you plenty of illumination for a ride in the dark.

Give them a try - you will be shocked at the quality (considering the price).

Michael

Originally Posted by McLoki .

I would get two of these.... They are dirt cheap, but acutally work really well. I have one but do not really ride at night very much (just got it for when I need to ride home after dark or whatever). They are very bright, but the beam width is not very wide, two of them should work pretty well for you though.

For a planned night ride, two of them (one on each side of your stem) should give you plenty of illumination for a ride in the dark.

Give them a try - you will be shocked at the quality (considering the price).

Michael

A $1.99 for a light? plus $7 for shipping, thus two lights will cost $18. I would be a wee bit leery about something priced as cheap as that. You could spend the 20 bucks only to find out their not as bright as they said, nor do they last long, so there goes $20 you could have used towards a light you know would last, and you know would bright as they said. And then you have to think, that if their selling a light that cheap how much did they pay for them? 50 cents? It doesn't add up for me.

Originally Posted by Froze .

A $1.99 for a light? plus $7 for shipping, thus two lights will cost $18. I would be a wee bit leery about something priced as cheap as that. You could spend the 20 bucks only to find out their not as bright as they said, nor do they last long, so there goes $20 you could have used towards a light you know would last, and you know would bright as they said. And then you have to think, that if their selling a light that cheap how much did they pay for them? 50 cents? It doesn't add up for me.
I understand and agree, but I did already get one of these lights in. I liked it enough, that I purchased another one and it should be here in a couple of weeks. (it ships from hong kong by the slowest shipping possible).

It really is a surprisingly good light that I can recommend to anyone looking for something inexpensive. I was not willing to spend much but wanted something to ride home with as it gets dark so early now. (my after work rides often run to sundown and I needed something)

The tail light works ok but I do not exepect a long life out of it. (just seems cheaply made) The headlight though seems very nice and is on constant or flashing at about 1/2 brightness. If you are not sure - just purchase one and try it out. Add another if you feel you need it. (I plan to only run one - I only suggested two for a slightly wider beam width) For $10, if nothing else, you have a decent LED flashlight you can use (and a free taillight).

It is not just something I just saw an ad for, I actually purchased one and thought it was great for the price. I am not saying it is better than a $100 bike light, but I was not going to spend that much money on a light anyway.

Michael

Originally Posted by Froze .

I do not know why they are so cheap (or the lights in the bike shops are so expensive) either. I can say, that I am not just reading about it and passing it along. I actually purchased this light to use on my bike - it arrived after 2 weeks in transit (from Hong Kong) - and it works great. For now, I acutally put it on my wifes bike as a front light and ordered another one for myself to use on my bike. (I did mount the rear flasher on my bike).

The rear flasher is not the best, but should work fine for my needs. (I plan to carry it in my bike bag and hook it up to the holder when I need it rather than trust it will just stay in the holder all the time) The headlight is a torch flashlight and is quite bright. It will work very well for my needs. The beam width is a little narrow though and that is why I suggested 2 of them mounted on the bars (on opposite sides of the stem) to increase the beam width slightly. I do not know if you get any discount for purchasing more than one at a time, but they are cheap enough you could just order one of them, try it out, and if you need more, get another one.

They really are a suprisingly great little light. Another benefit is that they are essentially a flashlight in a holder that mounts on your handlbars so if you need to change a tire or something after dark, you can just pull it out of the holder and use it like a regular flashlight.

I have not had mine long (only a few days) so I cannot comment on their durability, but the case is made out of aluminum and seems to be every bit as good as any small metal flashlight you would pick up anywhere. I am very happy with my purchase (as a matter of fact, so happy I purchased another one) and think for anyone looking for an inexpensive headlight solution, they will work out really well.

If there are any pics that you would like to see (like of it shining at night) just let me know. (also let me know the shutter speed and f-stop you would like me to use so you can compare it.directly to another light you may have. I know it beats the heck out of the 6volt - 3watt generator head and taillight I had on my old bridgestone 450....

Michael

Originally Posted by McLoki .
I know it beats the heck out of the 6volt - 3watt generator head and taillight I had on my old bridgestone 450....

Michael
I've heard a lot people say that the generator lights are not bright enough to see with, their more of a be seen light. It would seem to make more sense to me that if you were doing a long touring trip to have a regular rechargeable self contained battery light like the Cygolite ExpiliOn 250 like I have and have a generator hub that could somehow be set up so it could charge the Cygolite while you ride during the day, not sure if that's possible but it would make more sense then those dim generator dedicated type headlights.

I may buy one of those cheap lights and use it for a flashlight and see how long it lasts. The price just strikes me as being crazy low. It's like the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't true.".

Originally Posted by adamknox .

Unfortunatly im awful with stuff like that. :( id end up blowing me self up no doubt! I just bought a light online..turned out to be from the U.S and i faced quite hefty custom charges -_- .. GRR

Well Im happy to see the US exported something this year. Although it must have been made abroad some you paid some hidden custom charges too.