What's Up With That?!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:

    "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    recumbents."

    - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist

    What's up with that?!?

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    diamond frame racer wannabe, he's ticked off he has all the lycra jerseys and is sick of us riding
    by in cotton shorts with smiles on our faces.

    Rob Rudeski wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!?
    >
    > Rob

  3. I think he left this out Cyclists have a seat shoved up their ass. Except for recumbents "Rob
    Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!? Rob

    I think he left this out.. "Cyclists have a painful seat shoved up thier ass." Except for
    recumbents. ;-) Denny in Sayre, Pa Giro,Vrex, ez-1 "Bent but not Broken www.recumbentstuff.com

  4. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    Rob Rudeski wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!?
    >
    > Rob

    Actually, he's right. Upright riders are a pack animal--timid, stupid and weak. Recumbent riders
    are smart, hostile, meat-eating loners who like to run down strays and suck the marrow from
    their spokes.

    mc
    --
    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  5. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Maybe he meant the economic barrier part.

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!?
    >
    > Rob

  6. Mike Warner <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rob Rudeski wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    > >
    > > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of
    > > the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers.
    > > Except for recumbents."
    > >
    > > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    > >
    > > What's up with that?!?
    > >
    > > Rob
    >
    > Actually, he's right. Upright riders are a pack animal--timid, stupid and weak. Recumbent riders
    > are smart, hostile, meat-eating loners who like to run down strays and suck the marrow from
    > their spokes.
    >
    > mc
    EEEWWWW!( personally i like chicken) :-D DP BIKE-E CT

  7. "Rob Rudeski" skrev...
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!?

    He's been talking to Jobst Brand I guess.

    M.

  8. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Rob Rudeski wrote: [...]
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    [...] I would say that here in Toronto, that is true, and it _does_ include recumbents, if the
    cyclists in question are more the transportational activists. I've participated in Bike-to-Work-Week
    events that were very inclusive.

    I would say very little of that statement applies to the testosterone crowd, including the ones on
    recumbents!

    John Riley

  9. After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group is a
    typical cross section of recumbent riders. Many of the people in this group are outright hostile
    towards anyone that is having fun in any other way than they do. I do believe it's the nature of the
    Usenet to draw in the creeps, though. I've met a number of recumbent cyclists, and they are as civil
    as the DF riders I know - and I know hundreds of them. I suppose the vitriol demonstrated in this
    group is not due to the fact that it's from recumbent riders, but rather typical of many Usenet
    groups. I've seen the same kind of thing in rec.bicycles.racing. Most of the good guys just quit
    participating in all the crap. The difference here is that the vile juices are spewed towards DF
    riders, whereas the DF groups pretty much ignore recumbents.

    Gene

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
    >
    > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
    > wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
    > recumbents."
    >
    > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
    >
    > What's up with that?!?
    >
    > Rob

  10. "Eugene Cottrell" skrev...
    > After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group is
    > a typical cross section of recumbent riders. Many of the people in this group are outright hostile
    > towards anyone that is having fun in any other way than they do. I do believe it's the nature of
    > the Usenet to draw in the creeps, though.

    Gee thanks, Gene. Say hi to my killfile.

  11. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:48:06 GMT, "Eugene Cottrell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[...] Many of the people in this group are outright hostile towards anyone that is having fun in
    >any other way than they do.

    Many? Perhaps you can support this assertion with examples of such outright hostility from *many*
    ARBR posters.

    > I do believe it's the nature of the Usenet to draw in the creeps,

    Speak for yourself! %^)

    It is most certainly unlikely that the posters to USENET are anything other than a self-selected
    and, almost implicitly, an unrepresentative subset of the general population.

    >[...] the vile juices are spewed towards DF riders,

    Vile? The flames recently have seemed more about distribution policies and OT concerns...

    >whereas the DF groups pretty much ignore recumbents.

    Maybe that's why we're so 'vile' to them. %^P

    Indeed, there is a bit of the Rodney Daingerfield "I don't get no respect' effect at work. They are
    the status quo.

    Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

  12. Nah Mikael, Gene has a point. We do tend to be a bit self rightous. It's probably due to our quest
    for World Cycle Domination. I know I've found a good thing, and it's very hard not to be
    evangelical. It's tough to see your riding buddies go to Wedgie Hell. Not too many years and pounds
    ago I too was one of the Upright brothern. Until I saw the light... Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not
    Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Eugene Cottrell" skrev...
    > > After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group
    > > is a typical cross section of recumbent riders.
    Many
    > > of the people in this group are outright hostile towards anyone that is having fun in any other
    > > way than they do. I do believe it's the nature
    of
    > > the Usenet to draw in the creeps, though.
    >
    > Gee thanks, Gene. Say hi to my killfile.

  13. Skip

    Skip Guest

    In my view I believe Jon got it right.

    I like 'em all - DFs, MTBs, Folders, and Bents. I've got at least one of each in my stable and I'm
    promiscuous in my enjoyment of them.

    I pity the poor cyclist who won't try a different ride now and then.

    skip

    news:[email protected]...