What's Up With That?!

Rob Rudeski

Guest
Hi All,

I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:

"Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
recumbents."

- Ted Costantino, cycling journalist

What's up with that?!?

Rob

diamond frame racer wannabe, he's ticked off he has all the lycra jerseys and is sick of us riding
by in cotton shorts with smiles on our faces.

Rob Rudeski wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!?
>
> Rob

I think he left this out Cyclists have a seat shoved up their ass. Except for recumbents "Rob
Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!? Rob

I think he left this out.. "Cyclists have a painful seat shoved up thier ass." Except for
recumbents. ;-) Denny in Sayre, Pa Giro,Vrex, ez-1 "Bent but not Broken www.recumbentstuff.com

Rob Rudeski wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!?
>
> Rob

Actually, he's right. Upright riders are a pack animal--timid, stupid and weak. Recumbent riders
are smart, hostile, meat-eating loners who like to run down strays and suck the marrow from
their spokes.

mc
--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

Maybe he meant the economic barrier part.

"Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!?
>
> Rob

Mike Warner <****@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rob Rudeski wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
> >
> > "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of
> > the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers.
> > Except for recumbents."
> >
> > - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
> >
> > What's up with that?!?
> >
> > Rob
>
> Actually, he's right. Upright riders are a pack animal--timid, stupid and weak. Recumbent riders
> are smart, hostile, meat-eating loners who like to run down strays and suck the marrow from
> their spokes.
>
> mc
EEEWWWW!( personally i like chicken) :-D DP BIKE-E CT

"Rob Rudeski" skrev...
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!?

He's been talking to Jobst Brand I guess.

M.

Rob Rudeski wrote: [...]
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
[...] I would say that here in Toronto, that is true, and it _does_ include recumbents, if the
cyclists in question are more the transportational activists. I've participated in Bike-to-Work-Week
events that were very inclusive.

I would say very little of that statement applies to the testosterone crowd, including the ones on
recumbents!

John Riley

After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group is a
typical cross section of recumbent riders. Many of the people in this group are outright hostile
towards anyone that is having fun in any other way than they do. I do believe it's the nature of the
Usenet to draw in the creeps, though. I've met a number of recumbent cyclists, and they are as civil
as the DF riders I know - and I know hundreds of them. I suppose the vitriol demonstrated in this
group is not due to the fact that it's from recumbent riders, but rather typical of many Usenet
groups. I've seen the same kind of thing in rec.bicycles.racing. Most of the good guys just quit
participating in all the ****. The difference here is that the vile juices are spewed towards DF
riders, whereas the DF groups pretty much ignore recumbents.

Gene

"Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading a list of quotes about bikes on atlantabike.org, and found this particular quote:
>
> "Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the
> wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for
> recumbents."
>
> - Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
>
> What's up with that?!?
>
> Rob

"Eugene Cottrell" skrev...
> After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group is
> a typical cross section of recumbent riders. Many of the people in this group are outright hostile
> towards anyone that is having fun in any other way than they do. I do believe it's the nature of
> the Usenet to draw in the creeps, though.

Gee thanks, Gene. Say hi to my killfile.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:48:06 GMT, "Eugene Cottrell" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[...] Many of the people in this group are outright hostile towards anyone that is having fun in
>any other way than they do.

Many? Perhaps you can support this assertion with examples of such outright hostility from *many*
ARBR posters.

> I do believe it's the nature of the Usenet to draw in the creeps,

Speak for yourself! %^)

It is most certainly unlikely that the posters to USENET are anything other than a self-selected
and, almost implicitly, an unrepresentative subset of the general population.

>[...] the vile juices are spewed towards DF riders,

Vile? The flames recently have seemed more about distribution policies and OT concerns...

>whereas the DF groups pretty much ignore recumbents.

Maybe that's why we're so 'vile' to them. %^P

Indeed, there is a bit of the Rodney Daingerfield "I don't get no respect' effect at work. They are
the status quo.

Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

Nah Mikael, Gene has a point. We do tend to be a bit self rightous. It's probably due to our quest
for World Cycle Domination. I know I've found a good thing, and it's very hard not to be
evangelical. It's tough to see your riding buddies go to Wedgie Hell. Not too many years and pounds
ago I too was one of the Upright brothern. Until I saw the light... Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not
Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Eugene Cottrell" skrev...
> > After reading this group for almost a year, I would say this is right on target, if this group
> > is a typical cross section of recumbent riders.
Many
> > of the people in this group are outright hostile towards anyone that is having fun in any other
> > way than they do. I do believe it's the nature
of
> > the Usenet to draw in the creeps, though.
>
> Gee thanks, Gene. Say hi to my killfile.

In my view I believe Jon got it right.

I like 'em all - DFs, MTBs, Folders, and Bents. I've got at least one of each in my stable and I'm
promiscuous in my enjoyment of them.

I pity the poor cyclist who won't try a different ride now and then.

skip

news:[email protected]...