Whats with the crappy bikes?

jrtalon

Jul 22, 2006
I bought a 2006 Trek 1500 9-speed it came with 105 derailers front/rear and a Ultegra Octalink crank set, I paid $1099 it was on-sale from $1199. 2007's model was pretty much the same and for the same price. With the Trek 1600 being a 10-speed with an ultegra/105 mix for about $1350.

Now looking at the 2008 models the 1.5 9-speed for $1038, has a sora/tiagra mix with a bontrager crank. The 2.1 9-speed for $1260 has a tiagra/105 mix and a bontrager crank. Its not until you get to the 2.3 10-speed for $1700 that you find a good 105/ultegra mix.

Remember you could get a 06 Trek 5000 TCT Carbon frame 10-speed Ultregra/105 mix for the same exact price of $1700 I just found an old price list from my bike shop. And I've never seen sora and tiagra components above the 1200 model. And the 08 models above are regular Alpha Aluminium not even Alpha SLR which my 1500 has, although the 2 series does have carbon seat stays which probably more the make up for whatever weight was gained by not going with the SLR.

I though it might be Trek trying make a buck but I compared Specialized and Cannondale specs and prices and its the same.

Sorry for the long post but whats everyone else take on this?

Well first off as a response to the heading of this thread. None of the bikes you described are crappy bikes. If you're indicating the high price of the bikes for 2nd to 3rd tier shimano components then I suppose you're right on that note? Personally I wouldn't pay the prices you listed for those bikes because they do seem overpriced. They're all good bikes though and like many have said before the difference between tiagra,105 and ultegra is really just a matter of wieght.

this site here offers a bike for 1800$ that has a nice mix of mid to high end components on a frame that is generic with slightly lower quality but then again thats argueable.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/centuryteam_wcs.htm

Bikes are just expensive I guesss. The best local deal I've seen this past winter is for a 54cm Scott CR1 team carbon bike with complete 105,mavic kysriums, and ritchey bars at 1800$

No mystery... The weak dollar is the "problem."

Manufacturers build bikes for certain price points, and build with the components that allows them to sell at those price points while maintaining the profit margin they want to maintain.

The price points vary over time, and between manufacturers...

dgregory57 said:
No mystery... The weak dollar is the "problem."

Manufacturers build bikes for certain price points, and build with the components that allows them to sell at those price points while maintaining the profit margin they want to maintain.

The price points vary over time, and between manufacturers...

AND if you check European frames and equipment, the price increase is much higher. The $ is taking a beating with regards to Asian currency, REALLY taking a beating with regards to the Euro.

Yup, with the daily decline in the USD some of my friends are now planning trips to the US for shopping purposes... this is becoming ridiculous... the USD is now 1.58 to the Euro (if you do not believe me look here for the latest exchange rates).

And here in the Old World the inflation is killing us too...

gemship said:
like many have said before the difference between tiagra,105 and ultegra is really just a matter of wieght.

not really.... there really are performance differences between the different levels of componentry too. The DA stuff on my race bike is super crisp and very easy to keep working well. The 105 I had on my first bike with integrated shifters was picky and needed a tuning often to keep it working properly and I really felt like I had to haul on the shifters to move the chain at times. Even under a load the DA bike shifts easily every time. Yeah from 105 to DA is a bit of a jump, and maybe Tiagra is not quite as different from 105 as that, but it is more than just weight. (OH - and Sora and Tiagra are not available in 10 speed)

Eden said:
not really.... there really are performance differences between the different levels of componentry too. The DA stuff on my race bike is super crisp and very easy to keep working well. The 105 I had on my first bike with integrated shifters was picky and needed a tuning often to keep it working properly and I really felt like I had to haul on the shifters to move the chain at times. Even under a load the DA bike shifts easily every time. Yeah from 105 to DA is a bit of a jump, and maybe Tiagra is not quite as different from 105 as that, but it is more than just weight. (OH - and Sora and Tiagra are not available in 10 speed)
The only part of your comparisson that I will agree with is that sometimes I have to haul on the lever for the front derailleur for my 105 to shift to the large chainring. Other than that my old 9 speed 105 group shifts as well as 2007 DA 10 speed, and does not require periodic tuning. Maybe I'm blessed with a super 105 group but I don't think so.

kdelong said:
The only part of your comparisson that I will agree with is that sometimes I have to haul on the lever for the front derailleur for my 105 to shift to the large chainring. Other than that my old 9 speed 105 group shifts as well as 2007 DA 10 speed, and does not require periodic tuning. Maybe I'm blessed with a super 105 group but I don't think so.

Oh blessed be, oh blessed be. My Trek 4300 sl mountainbike with the shimano alivio shifters and deraileurs not only shift crisply but never once needed adjusting, for real. Well there was that one time I was messing around last summer doing endos and flipped the bike over, landing on the rear deraileur. The landing threw it all out of whack, bending the hanger. After straightening the hanger and tuning all three adjusting screws the rear gear changing is as slick as it ever was.

Eden said:

Like a fellow coworker once said to me about a fussy job, "If there is one thing I'll say about you, you're meticulous." In saying so I can't disagree with you however I find that most posters will agree the finer details are trumped by the more obvious. FWIW I have a new Cervelo r3sl outfitted with ultegra sl and it's the nicest bike with the nicest gear I ever owned. I have no need for a bike this nice but I wanted to own at least one kick ass bike at least once. Admittedly I kinda skimped on the build going with ultegra sl but I was told that it was as good as the best of the best sans wieght. Lo and behold I get on this site and read all the comments about how wieght doesn't matter period and it's all rider. Blah,blah. Honestly I agree with you but I do believe a strong rider can win on what the op would refer to as ****.

Have you checked the value of the $US lately?

Here in Australia value seems fairly good in the $2000-$3000AUD range. But then our $$ is almost 1:1 with the USD