Whats with the helmets?

zaadee

Feb 3, 2008
i know this is going to be a huge argument, but i was wondering why some many people are demanding helments.
Its getting really old seeing people say that "ohh yeah this would be a great POD if he had a helment on" or just "wear a helment".
Yeah i wear my helment and i promote it but isn't it the riders choice weather he or she wears a helment and please quit posting "wear your helment" comments under pictures and videos. :cool:

Actually, where I live it's the law that everyone under a certain age (15 I think) wear a helmet. Not sure if the police enforce this one much though.

I think the OP is correct. It is your own choice. I actively promote smoking amongst colleagues also. Great for the pension scheme.

Jokes aside, it is a personal choice and should remain so. As a European I often wonder how far we can push the nanny-state. IMVHO, of course.

I don't have any brain cells to spare so I wear the helmet, however I do advocate mandatory helmets for children.
They can make their own mistakes later in life.
La persona sanza casco andando in bicicletta e non sano.

Just practicing Pete. 5 or 6 more months and I may be able to put together a coherent sentence in Italian.

The thing is, while it is a personal decision, the government will still use my tax dollars to fix your broken head.

I'm all for opting out of common sense safety features, but if you then have an accident that that safety feature would have prevented, you should absorb medical costs entirely by yourself.

jhuskey said:
I don't have any brain cells to spare so I wear the helmet, however I do advocate mandatory helmets for children.
They can make their own mistakes later in life.
La persona sanza casco andando in bicicletta e non sano.

Just practicing Pete. 5 or 6 more months and I may be able to put together a coherent sentence in Italian.
Ok, I accept that we should allow kids the chance to grow up to make their own mistakes... :)

Your written Italian is not half bad...

Yojimbo_ said:
The thing is, while it is a personal decision, the government will still use my tax dollars to fix your broken head.

I'm all for opting out of common sense safety features, but if you then have an accident that that safety feature would have prevented, you should absorb medical costs entirely by yourself.
Careful Yojimbo, while I agree with you in principle, one must be careful on where to draw the line. Fine, cycling with no helmet. Car accidents? What kind of car accidents? Diseases? STDs? Can you then prove that some guy who had a heart attack had it because of an unhealthy (and therefore illegal?) lifestyle and/or bad genes? Does eating too much of this or that lead to Alzheimers? Attenzione. Slippery slope...

Is the original poster a troll? What about the ad in the signature line? :cool:

In Texas, helmets are required for bicycles, but not for motorcycles. They're always required for races or organized rides. Today's helmets are so light, I forget I have one on. On the other hand, it is nice to feel the wind on your head every once in a while. I understand the argument that the state shouldn't have to pay for someone's life care plan when it could have been avoided with a helmet, but those situations are probably a drop in the bucket compared to state expenditures on people without insurance who have smoked their entire life, are 200 lbs overweight, or who just drive their cars off the road.

I remember wearing a leather "hair net" in my first race. Boy were those goofy.

zaadee said:
i know this is going to be a huge argument, but i was wondering why some many people are demanding helments.
Its getting really old seeing people say that "ohh yeah this would be a great POD if he had a helment on" or just "wear a helment".
Yeah i wear my helment and i promote it but isn't it the riders choice weather he or she wears a helment and please quit posting "wear your helment" comments under pictures and videos. :cool:
+1. No point in wasting time rehashing an old question with some spammer who can't even spell "helmet" and has Hello Kitty for an avatar :)

dhk2 said:
No point in wasting time rehashing an old question with some spammer who can't even spell "helmet" and has Hello Kitty for an avatar :)
That's not Hello Kitty. This is...
circle-01.jpg

artemidorus said:
The spammers have suddenly got a lot more sophisticated.
+1. If you check the post history, there is only one post that is a direct advertisement. The others are much more sneaky, and rely on the people browsing to notice the signature. Devious!

I wonder whether the original poster just wants to know how many ppl will wear helmets, so he can see if it's worth his while to keep them in stock ?

zaadee said:

Helmet..yep, personal choice. Never hurt ya, 'may' help ya. But don't confuse personal choice issues with helmet technology or lack thereof.

I find from personel experience, the personel choice becomes more apparent
after you crash.

velo711 said:
I find from personel experience, the personel choice becomes more apparent
after you crash.
I'm very dubious about the benefit of a helmet in normal recreational cycling. It is essential in mountain biking, and probably racing where there is a high chance of crashing. But if you are a commuter or just a recreational rider, how many crashes lead to head injuries? IMHO, wearing a helmet in these occasions is nowhere near as useful as say, seatbelts in cars, or helmets among motorbike riders.

TheDarkLord said:
I'm very dubious about the benefit of a helmet in normal recreational cycling. It is essential in mountain biking, and probably racing where there is a high chance of crashing. But if you are a commuter or just a recreational rider, how many crashes lead to head injuries?
It only takes one bad crash and you'll become either a vegetable or get an express exit to see TheDarkLord.

For the record, I always wear a helmet when riding, and make sure that my children do also (even when in their trailer!). But then again, should we mandate everything necessary to keep people safe from themselves?