Whats with this fekking rain the next four days?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Claes, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Rain and more rain. Wanna ride bike. Yeah, I am a fairweather rider.
    At least in winter, to darn cold to take being soaked on the bike in the wind.

    Tags:

  2. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Claes wrote:

    > Rain and more rain. Wanna ride bike. Yeah, I am a fairweather rider.
    > At least in winter, to darn cold to take being soaked on the bike in
    > the wind.

    Don't like the rain? Nope
    Don't like the cold? Nope
    Don't like the dark? Nope

    http://tinyurl.com/75hsr

    ;-)

    Silly me got a part time job while the kiddies are at school and now
    I've lost all my daytime training time...

    --
    BrettS

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Claes wrote:
    > Rain and more rain. Wanna ride bike. Yeah, I am a fairweather rider.
    > At least in winter, to darn cold to take being soaked on the bike in
    > the wind.

    Excellent, got my new waterproof booties (the ones that fit MTB shoes
    this time) so I say BRING ON THE RAIN!!

    DaveB

  4. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    He he, I am from sweden, I know what it means not being able to ride your bike for SIX, yes 6, months. The indoor trainer you get fed up with very very quick, so you have to start over every bloody spring. Yuck.

  5. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Claes> Rain and more rain. Wanna ride bike. Yeah, I am a fairweather
    Claes> rider. At least in winter, to darn cold to take being soaked
    Claes> on the bike in the wind.

    My bike is my transport so it makes no odds to me. Whatever the
    weather, I ride.

    On the upside it does mean my bike gets cleaned :)
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  6. spook

    spook Guest

    dtmeister wrote:

    > Meh...I'm in Perth, and it's been a wet month. My only rule is that I
    > don't ride if it's pissing down when I wake up (6:30am, leave 6:55am).
    >
    > I've been caught in the rain many times this month - boardshorts,
    > t-shirt and joggers - My rain bike has toeclips, all the rest are
    > Look pedals. I prefer the overcast and possibly wet days, the clear
    > days are cold for Perth, 3C is the lowest I've seen this month. People
    > at work think I'm hardcore, but the commute is only 10.2km each way and
    > there's a hot shower at each end.

    thats pretty much my rule as well and it's been raining every day this
    week in sydney. i did about 3 hours in the rain last saturday morning
    and it was just pitiful. cold, numb ..

    rain again tomorrow but hopefully i'll be able to get out over the weekend.

    brett

  7. Stopped raining in Brisbane yesterday afternoon - yay!!

    Commute today was a spooky one through some pea-soup fog. It was great
    fun in the 'different' conditions...

    Cheers,
    Abby (happy to be back on the bike again)

  8. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    I find fog pretty bad, mainly because it mists up my glasses. This has a couple of undesireable consequences:

    1) I think the visibility's worse than it actually is and expect motorists not to see me...which isn't far from the status quo come to think of it.

    2) I can't go as fast 'cause I can't see where I'm going! Especially annoying when going down hill knowing there's a bitch of an uphill on the other side which I'd really like to get momentum up for.

    I forsee research in to anti-misting technologies for my specs.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    yeah, that's wierd innit

    a imbalance between wanting to keep sense of feeling in face so glasses go on yet getting frustrated at lack of visibility. I always do that dumb thing where i stop at lights (no, that's not the dumb bit...) and breathe upwards, hence foggin the goggles! clear up once moving again

    i wanna install an open fireplace on my bike :D

    speaking of which that OFP at Smiths Gully caf is a godsend.
    very hard to drag oneself away when the woman sitting at the next table orders pancakes with icecream!!! i reckon i could have taken her on and not spilt a thing :D

  10. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Rain?
    Cold?
    Dark?

    Last night’s Dirt Crits @ Westgate was a mud-fest from start to fin. I reckon I’ve just sealed the fate of my newly aquired cassette, chain & brake pads. After the first lap of just tiring to keep upright & mobile, dodgeing the carnage ahead of me, the heavy muddy going was so bad that I was sliding from one side to another, just pedaling away. Felt like bobsleading along the singletrack in that mud. Bike control?

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:

    > Stopped raining in Brisbane yesterday afternoon - yay!!
    >
    > Commute today was a spooky one through some pea-soup fog. It was great
    > fun in the 'different' conditions...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Abby (happy to be back on the bike again)

    Actually, it was raining last night when I got home, and it rained on me
    this morning as I walked to the bus stop. Unless those rich pricks at Mt
    Gravatt get better weather than us Eight Mile Plains resident? I didn't
    ride... I'm resting for my big race on Sunday (LOL)

    Tam

  12. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    I was thinking of showing up for that one, but with all the rain, and me never even seen that race, no, not this time. :) Need slightly easier conditions before I dare to show up with my stumpie.

  13. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    I've heard that on the weekend there seems to be quite a few MTBs out on that course. Not the best suurounds for MTBing, riding around the backwash paddocks of the yarra river, but its good practice.
    Only prob is the mud/soil has salt & sand in it as it's all low lying, so you'll have to hose your bike down quick smart when you get home.

    I'm missing next Thursday's (7th July) but hoping the weather holds out I'll rock up for Fat Tyre Flyers event that following Sunday at Whittlesea. Be my first MTB race outside of these Dirt Crits....

  14. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    You could try the anit-fogging spray for swimming goggles. I remember it used to work a treat on sunglasses when r*nning...

    cheers,
    ali