What's worse about muscle: the weight or oxygen needed?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
It seems as though having muscle can present two problems for a cyclist: it weighs a lot, and it requires a lot of oxygen. Which of these is the bigger problem do you think?

I don't want to be all huge and muscular, but I also don't want those tree twig stick arms like most pro cyclists have.

jojoma said:
It seems as though having muscle can present two problems for a cyclist: it weighs a lot, and it requires a lot of oxygen. Which of these is the bigger problem do you think?

I don't want to be all huge and muscular, but I also don't want those tree twig stick arms like most pro cyclists have.
The oxygen, IMHO. A "decent" pair of arms doesn't weight much at all.. maybe 1 kg more than the pro's ones?

jojoma said:

The good news is; nobody, ever, in the history of anywhere - has woken up one day and said, 'Darn it - I'm all huge and muscular and I didn't want to be'.

Edudbor said:
The good news is; nobody, ever, in the history of anywhere - has woken up one day and said, 'Darn it - I'm all huge and muscular and I didn't want to be'.
Wrong. Body builders converting to cycling say it.

I'm 5'8" and weighed 175lbs at my peak. I took up cycling and now I'm trying to drop to 135lbs. Last year's race weight was 145, so I'm getting close.

How the hell do I lose the arm muscle without losing the leg muscle? Atrophy is such a slow process, sometimes.
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

iliveonnitro said:

I'm 5'8" and weighed 175lbs at my peak. I took up cycling and now I'm trying to drop to 135lbs. Last year's race weight was 145, so I'm getting close.

How the hell do I lose the arm muscle without losing the leg muscle? Atrophy is such a slow process, sometimes.
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif
If you mean, guys who spend years TRYING very hard, intentionally busting their butts to get big, who then decide they wished they weren't big - sure. But it wasn't an accident, it takes a lot of work to add lean mass.

A lot of people, especially women, seem to think 30 minutes in the gym will magically make them add 40 pounds of lean mass overnight and they'll look like Men. I know guys who think if they drink a protein shake, they'll look like an IFBB Pro.

I'm just saying, nobody accidently goes to the gym and walks out a month later going, 'Darn it - I'm HUGE' without trying really hard for that to happen. Most people will *never* hit the point where they are considered 'huge' without using steriods anyway.

But - congrats on the weightloss :)

iliveonnitro said:

rolleyes.gif
smile.gif
If you mean, guys who spend years TRYING very hard, intentionally busting their butts to get big, who then decide they wished they weren't big - sure. But it wasn't an accident, it takes a lot of work to add lean mass.

A lot of people, especially women, seem to think 30 minutes in the gym will magically make them add 40 pounds of lean mass overnight and they'll look like Men. I know guys who think if they drink a protein shake, they'll look like an IFBB Pro.

I'm just saying, nobody accidently goes to the gym and walks out a month later going, 'Darn it - I'm HUGE' without trying really hard for that to happen. Most people will *never* hit the point where they are considered 'huge' without using steriods anyway.

But - congrats on the weightloss :)

iliveonnitro said:

rolleyes.gif
smile.gif
This is tough for my mind to comprehend:)

In 2004 I was at a 190lb offseason (bodybuilding) at 5'6" and a very light skeletal frame. I am currently down to 166 lbs around 8% +/- bf and hope to be down to 155lbs next summer. Thank goodness I don't plan to compete in cycling. I can't imagine trying to get down below 150.

Atrophy? words of horror :eek:

Felt_Rider said:
This is tough for my mind to comprehend:)

In 2004 I was at a 190lb offseason (bodybuilding) at 5'6" and a very light skeletal frame. I am currently down to 166 lbs around 8% +/- bf and hope to be down to 155lbs next summer. Thank goodness I don't plan to compete in cycling. I can't imagine trying to get down below 150.

Atrophy? words of horror :eek:
This has been over a 3 year period, going from 175lbs 22% bf (ok, so it wasn't all muscle) to 165 and ~17-18% BF (never checked when I was maxing out my lifting).

Cardio the last 2 years brought me down to 155/??% BF then 145/9% BF, respectively. Not that you'd be surprised to hear this, but I'm built like a sprinter. I figure 135lbs at 5'8" would make a decent GC rider in the US. I'll probably never hit less than 140, though.

I like my guns, there at my side all the time. Living on the bike can sure take off these muscle fibres over time, so keep with a gym routine and do not belive that 5 lbs or more of muscles is taking a advantage away from you when you ride.