Whats wrong need some advice

slsail

Aug 12, 2011
I am 46
took off of riding for 15 years
I decided I needed to get some excercise again so The only excercise sport i enjoy is riding.
I am
5'7'
190 lbs

Started riding more in may this year and increasing distance and frequency monthly
I am trying to do 12-20 miles a day 5 days a week with a 30 mile day in there somewhere most day are around 14miles

At map my ride i log my miles and sometime nutrition.
According to them ( i do ride at decent pace throwing in some intervals 2-3days a week.) i am burning 600-900 cals a day
I should be eating 2800 cals
last few time i used the utriation calculator I am below the 2800 cals.
Not loosing weight, I do believe i am gaining muscle back from years of light excersise.
My riding is getting stronger but still not loosing weight.

I am eating 10 time s better tahn i used to
Cut out all junk food replaced with nuts fruit etc.
tuna sandwiches insted of lunc meat
broiled chicken
pasta, salads, less red meat overall drastic change in the make up of my diet and amount I am consuming.

So my question is what am i doing wrong ( i am not oosing weight) some people notice i am a little thinner.

Is this a correct theory or am i way off.
My riding requires 2800 cals
I am eating less than that, so is my body storing fat or am i still coverting fat to muscle still and eventually the fat will start to come off.

I'm almost the same age, height and weight as you but the last I checked one of those weight-loss apps I thought it said to aim for 2100 calories/day for a 1lb/week loss.
Are you adding in those 600-900 calories that you've used while riding?
If so then that may be why you're not losing more weight...You're breaking even calorie-wise.

Sounds like you're diet is on the right track, keep at it, plateaus are very discouraging.

Check your portion sizes, too, for your meals. Also, avoid the traditional white pasta, get the 100% whole wheat stuff instead. More fiber, protein, and just better for you. Also, eat yogurt for snacks. It's got probiotics, protein, and other good stuff. And keep riding!
I'm on a weight loss plan also, although I don't look it, but I want to lose 20 lbs. I'm close to 5'8 and 179, a lot of it is muscle, but there's some pudge that needs to go. I've managed to lose 5 pounds in the last few weeks just by eating better and eating less. The key is to make it a lifestyle change, not a temporary thing.

I'm in the process, as is everyone it seems, in losing weight as well. It's a pain in the neck, but get a nice digital scale and weigh everything you eat. I use caloriecount.com to keep track of what I eat and record workouts (it's free). You may also want to track where your calories are coming from, ie protein, carbs, and fat.

Based upon my research, and my own experience... you must have something off here.

Simple formula for weight loss = burn more calories than you eat (if you do, you will lose weight)

It seems from what you are saying that you are maintaining weight even with the exercise so in that case you are very likely to be consuming the same number of calories you are burning. You probably are (as you suggest) losing body fat and building some muscle from the exercise in which case you have probably noticed clothes fitting a little more loose, etc.

I've found that I personally burn anywhere from 800 - 1200 calories per hour when riding a bicycle. The range being entirely due to intensity. I know my BMR is around 2100 calories a day. While those may not be exact numbers they are close enough to get the job done. If I eat approx. 2000 calories a day, ride one hour per day.. then I'm achieving about 1000 calories a day in deficity. At that rate you can expect to lose about 2 pounds per week. I've heard that's about the max you want to lose in that time frame, and for me.. it has worked multiple times.

***Important to note that hydration levels can significantly throw off weight numbers.

Originally Posted by slsail .

I am 46
took off of riding for 15 years
I decided I needed to get some excercise again so The only excercise sport i enjoy is riding.
I am
5'7'
190 lbs

Started riding more in may this year and increasing distance and frequency monthly
I am trying to do 12-20 miles a day 5 days a week with a 30 mile day in there somewhere most day are around 14miles

At map my ride i log my miles and sometime nutrition.
According to them ( i do ride at decent pace throwing in some intervals 2-3days a week.) i am burning 600-900 cals a day
I should be eating 2800 cals
last few time i used the utriation calculator I am below the 2800 cals.
Not loosing weight, I do believe i am gaining muscle back from years of light excersise.
My riding is getting stronger but still not loosing weight.

I am eating 10 time s better tahn i used to
Cut out all junk food replaced with nuts fruit etc.
tuna sandwiches insted of lunc meat
broiled chicken
pasta, salads, less red meat overall drastic change in the make up of my diet and amount I am consuming.

So my question is what am i doing wrong ( i am not oosing weight) some people notice i am a little thinner.

Is this a correct theory or am i way off.
My riding requires 2800 cals
I am eating less than that, so is my body storing fat or am i still coverting fat to muscle still and eventually the fat will start to come off.