Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Whats wrong with a Huffy??

Started by foda13 · · Last activity · 71 posts · 2,816 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
2 November 2005
Last activity
9 November 2005
Original author
foda13
Posts
71
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,816
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 71
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "foda13" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Read a post and someone was putting down huffy MTB. Sure they are not
    Trek
    or Cannondale, but when you love the sport and emjoy riding as much as
    possible, and can not afford to spend $1000 on a bike. a ten dollar huffy
    at
    a yardsale brings hours of happiness. Is MTBing only about the price of
    your rig and gear? Or is it about the trail and what we can do on it.
    Yes,
    there is some jealousy when I see a Full suspension trek on the trail, and
    I
    ride a huffy I have to repair with parts from donated bikes, but I promise
    you, He doesn't have anymore fun than I do.
    My point is, don't look down on us that can't afford expensive bikes.
    We all endo and bleed the same, I hope you would offer me help on the
    trail,
    as I WOULd you, even though a ride a left over huffy [censored].

    Peace


    I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
    Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
    bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
    assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
    Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
    take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
    available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

    One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
    should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

  2. "foda13" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Read a post and someone was putting down huffy MTB. Sure they are not
    Trek
    or Cannondale, but when you love the sport and emjoy riding as much as
    possible, and can not afford to spend $1000 on a bike. a ten dollar huffy
    at
    a yardsale brings hours of happiness. Is MTBing only about the price of
    your rig and gear? Or is it about the trail and what we can do on it.
    Yes,
    there is some jealousy when I see a Full suspension trek on the trail, and
    I
    ride a huffy I have to repair with parts from donated bikes, but I promise
    you, He doesn't have anymore fun than I do.
    My point is, don't look down on us that can't afford expensive bikes.
    We all endo and bleed the same, I hope you would offer me help on the
    trail,
    as I WOULd you, even though a ride a left over huffy [censored].

    Peace


    I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
    Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
    bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
    assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
    Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
    take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
    available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

    One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
    should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

  3. There's nothing wrong with any bike that can put a smile on your face,
    ride it, repair it and have fun.
    I guess now I'm lucky enough to choose to ride a bike where I can trust
    the brakes to work, the forks to react and the frame not to break.
    Which I wouldn't be able to do on a Huffy. I've been riding off-road
    for almost 20 years and this is the first year I've picked up a brand
    new bike. It's not second hand, an ebay special or last years stock.
    That's 20 years of riding what my mates thought were [censored] bikes, in
    fact some of which were [censored] bikes, but I still had a blast, still had
    fun and on whole kicked their asses.
    And of course we'd stop to help you out on the trail, hell I'd even
    stop to help a hiker.

  4. There's nothing wrong with any bike that can put a smile on your face,
    ride it, repair it and have fun.
    I guess now I'm lucky enough to choose to ride a bike where I can trust
    the brakes to work, the forks to react and the frame not to break.
    Which I wouldn't be able to do on a Huffy. I've been riding off-road
    for almost 20 years and this is the first year I've picked up a brand
    new bike. It's not second hand, an ebay special or last years stock.
    That's 20 years of riding what my mates thought were [censored] bikes, in
    fact some of which were [censored] bikes, but I still had a blast, still had
    fun and on whole kicked their asses.
    And of course we'd stop to help you out on the trail, hell I'd even
    stop to help a hiker.

  5. di said:

    I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
    Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
    bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
    assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
    Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
    take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
    available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

    One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
    should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

    Well said! I have no problem finding used bikes at reasonable prices
    for acquaintances. Just up the road from me a guy must rescue bikes
    from yard sales and fix them up. I've ridden by him a few times on my
    road bike and finally decided to stop and look. I found:

    Raleigh M70 - $175 (Deore Components)
    Trek 820 - $65 (Unknown Components)
    GT ??? - $75 (XT Components)
    Trek ??? - $75 (XT Front / Deore Rear)

    If you look you will find. My first SS (CrapandFail 1FG) was purchased
    used on eBay for $275 and I just sold it for $450.

    There is NO reason anyone has to buy a BSO.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. di said:

    I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
    Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
    bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
    assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
    Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
    take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
    available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

    One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
    should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

    Well said! I have no problem finding used bikes at reasonable prices
    for acquaintances. Just up the road from me a guy must rescue bikes
    from yard sales and fix them up. I've ridden by him a few times on my
    road bike and finally decided to stop and look. I found:

    Raleigh M70 - $175 (Deore Components)
    Trek 820 - $65 (Unknown Components)
    GT ??? - $75 (XT Components)
    Trek ??? - $75 (XT Front / Deore Rear)

    If you look you will find. My first SS (CrapandFail 1FG) was purchased
    used on eBay for $275 and I just sold it for $450.

    There is NO reason anyone has to buy a BSO.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. Craig Brossman said:
    Phil said:

    I rode Huffy-s all throughout my youth, and it wasn't until I could
    afford my own bike when I started college did I have a nice one.

    Now that I work at a bike shop it's like an autoimmune disease...
    can't... get... rid... of it...

    I resent that remark. My RA is managable, I can live with it here in
    Durango. A huffy would probably be scrap metal after the first ride 🙂

    Oops... when I said I can't get rid of it, I meant cycling (and nice bikes)
    in general.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. Marz said:

    There's nothing wrong with any bike that can put a smile on your face,
    ride it, repair it and have fun.
    I guess now I'm lucky enough to choose to ride a bike where I can
    trust the brakes to work, the forks to react and the frame not to
    break.

    I've never seen nor heard of a Huffy frame breaking. I'm curious if anyone
    else here has. They're built so heavily with mild steel that I'd be
    surprised if one broke. The wheels on the bike would invariably fail sooner
    than the frame.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Phil said:

    I've never seen nor heard of a Huffy frame breaking. I'm curious if anyone
    else here has. They're built so heavily with mild steel that I'd be
    surprised if one broke. The wheels on the bike would invariably fail sooner
    than the frame.

    I bent my old steel forks but i doubt i could have done it without the
    20-0mph dead-stop that was involved 😄

    J

  10. While the steel tubing is strong enough, it's the [censored] welds that hold
    these tubes together I don't trust. There was a recall of a men's Huffy
    mountain bike a few years back due to poor welds at the headtube.

    Laters,

    Marz

  11. Per foda13:

    Quoted message said:

    . a ten dollar huffy at
    a yardsale brings hours of happiness.

    Sure, people can say they're junk - but they work and the retailer made a
    profit, the importer made a profit, the manufacturer in China or wherever made a
    profit - and somebody here has a brand-new fully-functional bike for less than
    two hundred bucks. To me, that's a minor miracle.

    Understood there's room for discussion of the meaning of "work".... but still...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  12. Dilusion said:

    where does the word 'huffy' come from?

    thanks

    The founders name was Huffman. The "huffy" brand name was started after
    WWII... and after they dropped the "Dayton" brand name.

    R

  13. This is the gayest thing I have ever heard.

  14. Llatikcuf said:

    This is the gayest thing I have ever heard.

    Brilliant.

  15. It's true. This guy acts like I should feel sorry for him -- The rest
    of us work to get the bikes we have. Maybe he should realize that most
    could not give a [censored] less what other people are riding.

    -Nate

  16. Llatikcuf said:

    It's true. This guy acts like I should feel sorry for him -- The rest
    of us work to get the bikes we have. Maybe he should realize that most
    could not give a [censored] less what other people are riding.

    Please learn to quote; I for one have no idea what you're talking about.

  17. Bill,

    You seem to have figured it out.

    -Nate

  18. Llatikcuf said:

    Bill,

    You seem to have figured it out.

    -Nate

    googlegroups explains it

  19. Llatikcuf said:

    This is the gayest thing I have ever heard.


    C'mon, gayer than the drunk getting buggered by the dog?
    I think not.

    Shawn

  20. Poor dog.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.