Whats wrong with FSA cranks

ROCYC

Jul 17, 2006
I have read threads on this forum questioning the quality and the lack of stiffness of fsa cranks. I have ben window shopping for a new bike looking at specialize and cervello and most of there bikes come with fsa cranks. Before I buy one or spend the extra mony to get one with a different crank would like to learn as much as I can about them, so I welcome all opinions on fsa.

unless your a professional, i probably wouldnt worry about the possible .05% difference between FSA and other cranks

I've used two FSA cranksets on my bikes in the past - '03 FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue ISIS w/ Platinum Pro BB and '05 FSA Gossamer w/ MegaExo BB. Both worked fine, I experienced no functional problems with either. Although I will say that cosmetically, the carbon finish on the Team Issue did not hold up well. The clear coat was prone to scratches and also chipped off so the crankset looked like hell after two seasons. Perhaps this is "normal" with carbon cranksets? I don't know, it was my first and only carbon crankset. On the Gossamer, the painted finish was also prone to scratching.

I have since upgraded to a 7800 Dura-Ace crankset and BB. I found ceramic bearings for the D-A BB through work and replaced them. Love the D-A. Great feel, cool looks, super stiff, flawless shifting and on closer inspection, the D-A has a much better finish and machining than the FSA's. Just my personal experience with the two brands.

I dunno.

I've been running an FSA Energy compact for two years. Until I read your post I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

I have an FSA and haven't really noticed a problem. There was a problem (teeth were not cut correct so chain would skip) two years ago with the large ring, but FSA took care of it.

The only "true" problem (othen than personal preference / cosmetic / etc) that I've experienced with my FSA SL-K cranks (compact) is the non-drive side bolt becoming loose.

Took it to the shop, they tightened it and I had no further problem ever.

I've tried 10 speed Ultegra, FSA and DA and in for me the best by far are DA. Then Ultegra and FSA are -for me- undistiguishable as far as functionallity goes.

Had two pair of FSA Gossamer cranks early in their production run with badly threaded cranks which gave the impression they were bent plus all the tests point to less stiffness from the carbon cranks compared to aluminium cranks from Shimano etc. if you want bling buy carbon FSA otherwise stick with stock standard Ultegra cranks or above for performance.

My Specialized Allez Elite came stock with the FSA Gossamer crank. I had a problem with a "creak & click" in the BB. Even changing out BB did not get rid of the problem. LBS finally changed out to a Shimano Tiagra crankset and BB, problem gone. Although I have heard that this has not been a well known problem with FSA.

I'd pay a little extra just to know that I didn't have an FSA on my bike. If you have cash for the bike, the LBS might change it out for free if you are not afraid to walk away if they won't.

kdelong said:
I'd pay a little extra just to know that I didn't have an FSA on my bike. If you have cash for the bike, the LBS might change it out for free if you are not afraid to walk away if they won't.
You didn't say why you would pay extra for Shimano.

I selected the FSA Team Carbon for my build four years ago and have had no problems. The chainrings are still good after 15K miles. Some scratches and minor chips in the clearcoat, but that's normal with the "soft" finish of CF.

Was a bit disappointed to learn that the cranks have an aluminum core with just a CF wrap, rather than being "pure" CF (eg, Campy Record). Also, doing a comparison test of stiffness vs. my Ultegra, believe the FSA has more torsional flex while pushing the bike against the garage wall. Nothing I notice on the road of course.