What's wrong with my bike?

RudyB

Jan 9, 2014
I hope someone can help me out. I brought my bike to my LBS about a month ago to change my handle bar from ego to compact. Everything was fine before the change and I don't think the handle bar has anything to do with it. I hope the mechanic didn't fiddle with anything else.

I hope I'm using the ride terms here. What I realize is that when I ride the bike it's not tracking correctly. You get the same feeling as if it was windy. The bike wants to go where the wind is pushing you. The bike feels unstable. I never had this issue before the change. Also, I can't even let go of the handle bar. The bike just want to go on certain direction on its own. I have no problems letting go of the handle bar especially taking off a jacket during a group ride or arm warmers.

I removed the handlebar and fork to see if something was wrong but I don't see any, I'm not a bike mechanic and don't know what to look for anyway. I hope someone can understand my issues. Sorry for the long question but I just wanted to describe it the best I can.

Thanks!

-Rudy

Originally Posted by jhuskey
Are your cables possibly tight to one side?
I can feel that when I turn the handle bar all the way to the left, I can feel a slight tension compared to the right. However, as I mentioned on my questions, ever since I removed the handle bar and fork, it seemed to correct that problem. All I need to do now is ride the bike if this solved the issue.

It's just frustrating. It's a new bike and I don't even enjoy riding the bike anymore.

So you are saying you don't have an issue with the bike now?

I haven't ridden it yet after fiddling with the handle bar and fork. I did this last night and still need to ride it. For over a month, I had this issue. If I'm still having the same problem, I'm going back to my LBS and let a mechanic look at it.

What I also realized was that when I had the handle bar changed, I realized that my spacers on my headset had been moved. I used to have two together on the bottom, now, only one is on the bottom and the other is on top where you tighten the headset. I don't even know why the mechanic would eve take the headset out if all his doing is changing the handle bar.

Problem solved. Just rode it and the issue that I was having is gone. I'm not sure if it was the spacer that was on top of my head tube or something I did when I removed the handle bar and fork.

What I realized right away upon riding is that it was easier to steer the bike. Also, I let go of the handle bar while riding right away and no issue whatsoever. The wheel was able to swing side to side easily.