What's wrong with the sport...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronaldo Jeremia, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. ...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so that
    he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?

    -RJ

    Tags:

  2. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >[email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah)

    >...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    >championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so that
    >he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?
    >
    >-RJ

    Agreed! It's sad that we are focused only on providing Lance Domstiques. I think that Michael could
    do some good things in the classics, if given the chance. If he's only kept to possibly ferry water
    bottles to Lance in the Tour then we won't see much from him. Bill C

  3. "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    > championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so
    > that he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?

    Good point. As long as his result wasn't a one time fluke, he should be able to do better than tour
    domestique. It would be great to see another American contending the classics.

    - BA

    > -RJ

  4. "The Black Adder" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> ...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    >> championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so
    >> that he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?
    >
    > Good point. As long as his result wasn't a one time fluke, he should be able to do better than
    > tour domestique. It would be great to see another American contending the classics.
    >
    > - BA
    >
    >> -RJ

    you mean North americian

    dude he is from Toronto

  5. "The Black Adder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Good point. As long as his result wasn't a one time fluke,

    Ya, he'll need to confirm in a more selective race.

    The way it was on Sunday, with a big group, getting lucky was possible (for minor placings).

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I think its Lance. The guys who want to do something leave, but not many do. Lance must have a way
    of making these guys think its better to serve than to strike out on their own. Or perhaps all they
    care about is the Tour (as if any but a few could win) and know they can't beat him. Either way,
    Lance has (directly or indirectly) stagnated a few careers...

    news:<[email protected]>...

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

    > >[email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah)
    >
    > >...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    > >championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so
    > >that he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?
    > >
    > >-RJ
    > >

    > Agreed! It's sad that we are focused only on providing Lance Domstiques. I think that Michael
    > could do some good things in the classics, if given the chance. If he's only kept to possibly
    > ferry water bottles to Lance in the Tour then we won't see much from him. Bill C

    It's funny, you never hear anyone ask,"So are you going to look for big sucess in the Ronde Van
    Vlanderen?"

    I think Vebruggen has a point when he says he wants to change the regulations so that we don't have
    riders focusing their entire season on three weeks in july and then ending it right after.

  8. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ...when a guy gets the breakthrough result of his career by placing top 10 in the world
    > championships, and the first thing people want to know is if he might now make the TdF team so
    > that he can ferry LANCE'S water bottles in a race that doesn't begin for another 9 months?

    Perhaps he could sign for whatever team Freddy Rodriguez is signing for.

    -Sonarrat.

  9. Tom I

    Tom I Guest

    The real issue is lack of opportunity; with one American team in Europe, it has been difficult to
    get American leaders in place. On the other hand, Hamilton may have opened some doors by proving an
    American can lead a decided non-American team.

    BTW, I don't blame the media for focusing on Armstrong. Nor do I blame USPS & other sponsors for
    pushing Armstrong's accomplishments to the media. Like him or dislike him, Americans in general look
    for leader/heros like Armstrong -- without the flash, would the sponsor even be there? "Ronaldo

  10. "Tom I" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The real issue is lack of opportunity; with one American team in Europe,
    it
    > has been difficult to get American leaders in place. On the other hand, Hamilton may have opened
    > some doors by proving an American can lead a decided non-American team.

    CSC is an American corporation. That didn't hurt his cause.

  11. "Mapei81" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >Hamilton may have opened some doors by proving an American can lead a
    > >> decided non-American team.
    >
    > Lemond proved it first, and with distinction. But I suppose that's
    ancient
    > history at this point.

    And Boyer, with qualification.

    -Chris Mitchell

  12. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Mapei81" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >Hamilton may have opened some doors by proving an American can lead a
    > >
    > > Lemond proved it first, and with distinction. But I suppose that's
    > ancient
    > > history at this point.
    >
    > And Boyer, with qualification.
    >
    > -Chris Mitchell

    Boyer was a team leader?

  13. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Boyer was a team leader?

    He did more than carry bottles and get chased down at Worlds.

    Hmm...should I re-phrase that, bearing in mind Mr. Boyer's recent travails?

    -Chris Mitchell

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Boyer was a team leader?
    > >

    > He did more than carry bottles and get chased down at Worlds.
    >
    > Hmm...should I re-phrase that, bearing in mind Mr. Boyer's recent
    travails?

    > -Chris Mitchell

    Oh, on the national team. Right. I was thinking of Renault. Sorry.