Whats your age... Whats your speed?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by svccmasters, Jul 30, 2010.

1. svccmasters

svccmasters New Member

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'm currently my age, and it's impossible to say what my absolute speed is through the universe at this time..

3. tjviperjr

tjviperjr New Member

I'm 20 years young, and I'm too fast.

4. redneck47441

redneck47441 New Member

I'm 27 what's the weather conditions lol!

5. aldocg

aldocg New Member

I am 24 and I haven't timed myself lately but I'm around 28kmph average.

I just recently bought a road bike and haven't gotten used to it though, I don't race and I ride alone.

6. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

I'm 37. Train about 5-6x a week. No more road racing for me. Hit a personal best avg speed just the other day. 40k mostly flat ride. Avg spd: 36.6kph.

March avg speed. 25.7kph
    April avg speed. 28.1kph
    may avg speed. 30.4kph
    June avg speed. 32kph
    July avg speed. 32.8kph

all over 3,500kms since march. Nice to see my improvement. I only have a handful of rides in and over the 35kph barrier. For me it's proving to be really tough! I'll keep working away. And 99% of my rides are also solo.

7. Sid Nitzerglobi

Sid Nitzerglobi New Member

36, try to ride 5-6 times a week weather, work, and injuries permitting. I don't race and ride alone 99% of the time. I also just got a road bike beginning of this season.

Personal best avg. moving speed over a decent distance so far has been 28.4 kph over 56.3km on a mostly flat route with a few sustained 1.5 - 2% grades (~550' of total elevation gain). I have averaged 30.4kph over a 19.3km flat route once. Average of all training rides I have data on is 26.8kph over 1198km w/ 7756' of elevation gain.

8. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

Pretty much a useless metric, if you ask me. Doesn't really tell you anything that will allow you to compare different riders taking into account gradients, wind conditions, and a million other factors....

9. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

47 years old. Usual ride is 36 miles of rolling hills ranging from 900 to 1250 ft. Avg speed on a good day is a tad over 18 mph/30 kph. No racing for me. The A riders in our group avg 21+ mph and they race Cat 4/5 (sandbaggers!)

10. svccmasters

svccmasters New Member

Today, 45yrs, 56 km ride. Avg 31.8 Carrum to Melbourne. 22min cafe break.

11. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

43 years young.
    Racer - cat. 3. Most successful at flat-ish crits and track racing.
    Own a power meter so I don't track average speed. Also, the multitude of stoplights in my riding area have a significantly negative effect on average speed such that it can be a misleading stat.

Typical average wattage for my regular 2hr. (flat, ~ 67kms.) endurance pace ride is usually 250-260w. With no wind on the flat and my aerodynamics, this wattage will get me to around 35-36kph (22-23mph).

12. aldocg

aldocg New Member

I just did a "leisure but serious" 37.4 km ride and clocked in at about 35-37kph average.

I measured just the time and took it from there with google earth so it's not 100% accurate but I am completely impressed by that speed. :O

Not bad for being cycling for 3 months huh?

13. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Yeah! that's quite impressive for a new rider I'd agree. So i take it you don't have a computer yet? go get one! And then check to see how accurate your average speed is. Damn! I've yet to hit a 37kph avg this year...... but really...sounds like you're getting serious about cycling so it's definitely time for a computer. 30-40$ will get you a decent one. probably my favourite training tool!!

14. aldocg

aldocg New Member

Yeah I've just started but I've been riding my bike absolutely everywhere. Anywhere from 20 to 30km+ a day. Commuting to work and all.

This past Saturday I had my first group ride where we went up a mountain, I really suffered it and I think I am already reaping the benefits(I can go a gear higher @ around 80 rpm than before)

I don't want to buy a cheap computer so I'm saving for a Garmin Forerunner 305 ($150) which is way more full-featured. I love the garmin connect stuff.

I am gonna start doing the same ride every day in the morning (it's towards a small town, very scenic) and keep timing myself.

Thanks! It feels great to be fast, I was really sluggish just a month ago.

15. aldocg

aldocg New Member

Upon closer inspection and analyzing elevation gain/loss I believe I was closer to 33kph average.

Still happy! Oh and I calculated the wattage and it would be around 210-220. Is that average?

16. littleman624

littleman624 New Member

I'm 15 and tend to average between 18.5 and 21.5mph on my hardtail with 24's. I ride mostly for recreation, alone, but have, in the past, participated in a few casual races.

Currently im saving to buy a road because im out-growing my current bike and i've become bored with only having gears high enough to reach 26mph on a 2 mile sprint.

17. nealeholl

nealeholl New Member

I'm 47, and cycle once or twice a week in the summer. No racing, mostly alone for pleasure or commute. This year I've been trying to up my speed a bit - particularly the ride home from work. Best so far is avg. 29kph (18 mph) over an undulating 32 km (20 miles). I spoilt myself to a new Serotta Road Bike which has definitely speeded me up somewhat. Would like to get faster, but my main concern is the 225 lbs I'm dragging around with me - would be nice to whittle that down to 200 or so. Any ideas?

18. jflongo

jflongo New Member

First I'll answer the first post, I'm 39 1/2, I average around 20 mph, but I have a very old bike, probably 20 - 30 years old, so I go anywhere from 17 - 22 mph depending on terrain, next year I will be upgrading to a nicer bike, so that should go up.

Now on this last post about your weight. I'm 6'1, used to weigh in the 225 - 230 range. Now I'm more around 175 - 180. I basically do some sort of cardio or weights, mainly cardio, 6 - 7 days / week, even if it's just a simple, 20 - 30 minute walk in the morning, it helps to jump start your metabolism. ALWAYS eat a good breakfast first thing in the morning, then space our your meals for a total of 4 - 6 meals. A good rule of thumb is mostly protein / veggies at dinner, and no carbs at all past 7 or so at night. I dropped my weight slowly, took me a little over a year. The first month a big drop from about 225 to 214. The second month a big drop from 214 to about 204. That was from doing spin class at the gym 4 - 5 days / week, and eating better. Then I slowed down and the weight loss was then anywhere from 0 - 10 lbs after that / month.

So April 13th last year, 224 lbs, April 2nd this year, 179 lbs, now I float between 175 - 180.

19. wild

wild New Member

I am 65 going on 66. I ride 25 miles just about every day some times 40, 35, and I avrage 11 to 13 MPH . I am not in a hurry I got all day, I hope:eek:

20. glambx

glambx New Member

Getting faster. I'm averaging about 28km/h on a mostly flat run (20km). I'm 31, and hope to break 30km/h by the end of the season.

I'm 230lbs currently, and doing everything I can to lower that. It's tough though... the lure of beer is too great. :(