What's your age, when did you start riding?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by gwhunt23, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 65cmFixie

65cmFixie New Member

I just turned 43. I got my first Sting-Ray bike at 3 and my first "10-speed" at 11. That first 10-speed was a Follis 072. I paid $165 and, at the time, you could buy Sears best "Free Spirit" for about $80. My parents thought I was nuts. I've had 7 different road bikes since that Follis. I average about 3000 miles/year now and I can almost fit in the same jeans I wore in college. The waist is the same size, but the thighs are a bit bigger...

2. joshua8

joshua8 New Member

Hi there mate, you sound exactly like me. i'm now 14 and have been riding for about 6 months Seriously. Are you a member of a cycling club? i didn't know a thing about bikes but have built my knowledge by going along to my clubs club runs and reading alot of books. I am hoping to go to the junior road race championship in England. I wish you the best of luck Josh

3. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

I started riding as far back as I can recall, though maybe that was self effecting since I had pretty wicked endo after the T-wheels came off:D

First bike was a pink(ick) Murry 20 inch. It was a good unstealable frame. Then a Huffy Dirt Dog, a decent but yes Huffy bmx/jumper. Neon Green and gray, so much more macho;)
    I had a few roadies(which I still have the 69 Schwinn) but it all led up to the mtb. The first one was a pile of parts and a bucket of bolts a freind had. He said I could take it if it would work. The allure of the fat tread hooked me and I'm coming into race season 7(with much better stuff of course) Giant XTC now, though I still managed to find it salvage. Must be a family trait...
    21 yrs old now, BTW.

4. mamouney

mamouney New Member

I am 31 now and started riding when I was 6, learnt to ride on my brother's hand me down BMX, which then subsequently became my bike. Many bikes since then, but only got my first proper road bike last year.

5. William Henry

William Henry New Member

i started riding when I was 13 I have developed some skill and can ride 100 miles at a time now

6. Blutzo

Blutzo New Member

At 56 I am just starting again. Rode for about 5 years in the 70s then was lured to other things. Got a Trek 7200FX that I bought new last year and ride it aggressively. I am looking at the new Felt F55 for a road bike that should take me to the end.....