What's your age, when did you start riding?

started riding when i was five, got my second huffy mtb when i was 9 and then a better mtb when i was 12, those were just recreational bikes and i dont think i put more than 600 k's on the two of them together. Now two years ago i got into road cycling, and last year i got an old trek in which i busted all my savings upgrading it (now with ultegra and K elites), and have put more than 1500 km on it and really love the road. 17 now and planning to ride till i get run over or my knees snap

These days, speaking of the Netherlands, almost everybody starts riding here around the time they learn to walk.
At first on a two-wheeler with side wheels at the back, or on a three wheeler. Later on, on a real (small) bike, from the age of 3.

I got my real first bike, for the longer rides, at the age of 5 or something. My first racingbike when I was 25.

Now, thats 25 years later, I bought myself a three-wheeler again.

I was biking at the age of six and can still remember the thrill of my first ride without training wheels. I started riding seriously at the age of thirty five and am fourty four now. I think I love it now more than ever.

It's never too soon to start. I started riding like a lot of people, as a kid with a BMX bike, mudding around in the neighbors' yards and up and down the block.

I didn't start riding seriously until college, when I got into MTB. I had a bad wreck my sophomore year that scared the heck out of me. I haven't been on a trail since (long story, really really bad wreck).

I couldn't stay off the bike though. I started riding road seriously my senior year of college and I haven't looked back. I ride a fixed gear now as a bicycle commuter and have made it a lifestyle choice. I don't own a car and may never buy one.

It's been good so far; I look forward to joining the 50+ year-olds voting in your poll!

It's never too soon to start. I started riding like a lot of people, as a kid with a BMX bike, mudding around in the neighbors' yards and up and down the block.

I didn't start riding seriously until college, when I got into MTB. I had a bad wreck my sophomore year that scared the heck out of me. I haven't been on a trail since (long story, really really bad wreck).

I couldn't stay off the bike though. I started riding road seriously my senior year of college and I haven't looked back. I ride a fixed gear now as a bicycle commuter and have made it a lifestyle choice. I don't own a car and may never buy one.

It's been good so far; I look forward to joining the 50+ year-olds voting in your poll!

Started riding back in the early 70's on a simple 2 wheeler, then when I turned 5 God invented the Huffy with the motorcycle saddle....look out Evel Knievel!! The older kids in the neighborhood use to carry me to my porch, ring the bell and Mom would find me all cut up and bruised....skid contest champ 1976....won an award for flipping over the handlebars and then getting run over by the same bike.

Turned 10 and got a 10 speed for easter....Kmart special in neon green...brown leather handlebar tape.........yeuuukkk!

Road that 10 speed to and from mini football practice (1 mile each way) with my shoulder pads and helmet hooked into the bars somehow.....always the first one at practice....and now that I think about it.....always finished 1st or second in sprints.well ahead of the other kids who got dropped off by mom and dad :O)

Went back to BMX bikes as a teen....dreamed of a PK Ripper or Quadangle by SE racing.....my folks couldnt see me taking care of a 300 dollar BMX bike (1983 prices)

Eventually found out girls had boobies.retired from biking.....got a 77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (aka "The Red Roof Inn") Became a man in that car....blonde in back seat introduced me to good things :O)

Went to college......played football & baseball....graduated. Worked for past 14 years and had a beatiful blue eyed baby girl (Kaehler) Took baby into bike shop to look at little bikes, walked out with a Cannondale R800 :O)

Snow still on the ground.....have not ridden 1 mile on the road yet, bought the Cycleops Fluid trainer and ride every other day in the basement.....my **** is slowly getting use to the Fizik saddle.....I am dying to get out on the road and begin riding after not being on a bike for 19 years.

And like Paul Harvey say's.....now you know the rest of the story :O)

Differences I noticed from 1979 till now.....27 speeds are better than 10 speeds....clipless peadls are pretty cool......clothing is pretty expensive :O)

Thanks for this awesome Forum, it has motivated me during my wait for the snow to melt.

Kaehler's Dadda

Congratulations! Kids keep us young (and tired). First few months are tough, but it just keeps getting better from there.

Originally posted by Stiff Upper Lip
Great Post! Greetings from No. N.J.

Forgot! My early rides:

The tiny red bike with (and later without) training wheels.

THE BIG WHEEL

The blue Metal Pedal Car

Now, everything's aluminum. My daughter is 8 days old!

Baby seat is in my future. I'll mount it on a Raleigh 3 speed -- just like mom did! In fact we always had great family rides. Hope to continue that with my family....:p

Always had a bike (Raleigh Tomahawk, Raleigh Grifter, Supergoose III) but became a passion in 1992 when I got my first MTB (Trek something).

Started racing, began road-riding as training and then switched to the tarmac exclusively. Kept riding through the winters with cyclo-x and then gave it all up in 2001! Became restless, got back in the saddle last year and have rekindled the fire.

I'm 33 (when did that happen?!).

Hi, i'm 48,
Got my first racing bike at 12 in England a 5 speed whoooooaaa!
Used it for school in Oz and then gave up when i could drive.
Started riding again at about 37 on a Kojima Peregrine and just upgraded to a Zeus 16 speed Sora and it's so good!

Hi, I'm now 35
I started cycling as a kid around 5-6 (more as a means of getting around and exploring) My father was a competing cyclist and I remember as a kid that his bike was something that was greatly cherished and something to be looked after. He's still around and I now have custody of the bike.
I actually started racing last year with a group that used to race near my house on Sunday mornings. They have been moved out of the area due to local Police command worried about the liability issues. Ambulance chasing lawyers have a great deal to answer for.
I've never aged so fast as when I was told that as a 35 year old, I was classed as a veteran.
I'm riding an Avanti Kona (hence the name) with some nice Shimano rims, CF forks and seat post.

Originally posted by kaehlerpie
............Thanks for this awesome Forum, it has motivated me during my wait for the snow to melt.

Kaehler's Dadda
Whilst your waiting for the snow to melt, I'm hanging out for Autumn and Winter. This week has been so hot, yesterday >40C, 80% humidity and windy. Makes the black top mighty uncomfortable.

I'm 30 now and started cycling as an adult in August of last year. I had no idea that it would literally change my life! I was under a good deal of stress at the time and was overweight. Once I got in the groove my weight vanished and I feel great.

I'll never race competitively but put in 100 miles a week. I've become completely hooked on every aspect of the sport from equipment to training and technique.

I'm getting a new bike in a few days:

Look KG 386i
Campy Record
Campy Eurus Wheels

I've not been this excited about a new toy since I was a child!

Scott Shields

Originally posted by scottshields
I'm 30 now and started cycling as an adult in August of last year. I had no idea that it would literally change my life! I was under a good deal of stress at the time and was overweight. Once I got in the groove my weight vanished and I feel great.

I'll never race competitively but put in 100 miles a week. I've become completely hooked on every aspect of the sport from equipment to training and technique.

I'm getting a new bike in a few days:

Look KG 386i
Campy Record
Campy Eurus Wheels

I've not been this excited about a new toy since I was a child!

Scott Shields
Good for you. Nice choice. I was really exicted about getting a new bike in November. It really changed the enjoyment factor of cycling.

Originally posted by Kona_Blue
Whilst your waiting for the snow to melt, I'm hanging out for Autumn and Winter. This week has been so hot, yesterday >40C, 80% humidity and windy. Makes the black top mighty uncomfortable.

Kona I'm so Jealous!!! The ice has not melted here, thinking of putting spikes on the tires LOL :)

Have to settle for the trainer in the basement, I think if I reposition the trainer behind the wife's treadmill it may provide more stimulation......I mean motivation :D

Great Post! Greetings from No. N.J.

Forgot! My early rides:

The tiny red bike with (and later without) training wheels.

THE BIG WHEEL

The blue Metal Pedal Car

Now, everything's aluminum. My daughter is 8 days old!

Baby seat is in my future. I'll mount it on a Raleigh 3 speed -- just like mom did! In fact we always had great family rides. Hope to continue that with my family....:p

Hi Stiff!
Whats up neighbor? I forgot about the Big Wheel!!!!! How could I have forgotten? I also had a purple mettalic Cadillac kiddie car.....I was probably the only 4 year old white boy rollin down the sidewalks in a Caddy. Lucky we didn't live in the ghetto my wife say's. :eek:

Finally mastered the art of two wheel balance at 6! Actually started riding much earlier with training wheels. Rode to and from school and to get to places for years....

Became a true cycling nut and started riding with a plan at 15 (currently 31!) after a trip to France to visit relatives. One of the cousins was "into bikes" and had a Motobecane and Peugeot. I drooled over the Reynolds 531 frames and various Mavic, Spidel, Ofmega and Shimano bits. Came back home and emptied my bank account to buy a Miele built with Columbus Matrix tubing and Shimano 600. Entered my first race the same year.

Been riding ever since. Raced juniors then Cat 2/3. Stopped racing a few years back due to a busy career and family. But still hooked on the sport, it's in the blood. The first real road bike has been followed by a Gios, Eddy Merckx, Cannondale and Giant.

Plan on riding until I drop.....

Tech72

Hi all,

Well, this is my first post on these forums - just got directed to it today from the membership of my other cycling forum:

Cycle Japan

I got started relatively late into even just riding - I first rode a bike at age 12!! From that moment on - I pretty much lived on the things until early 20's - riding all the time - wherever I went. My best mate used to live 20km's from me and I'd ride over there, or he'd ride to my place and the story was often the same - "what do we do now?", "Oh, I dunno - how about we go for a ride!" - and off we'd go for about 100-200 clicks. Around age 16 I went to work in a bike shop - not really for the extra money, although that was good, but just for the fun of building and repairing bikes.

Ah, the good ol' days! :) But then adult life overtook me with career and wife number 1 and the bike generally only came out for a ride down to the shops :(

Oh well, so now I am 35 and with wife number 2. I got back into cycling again about 2 years ago and have had a rocky trip back into it, (must post that story one day :rolleyes: ) but am committed this year to getting back into as much form as possible. I am entered into my first race of the year on about March 21st - wish me luck! :D

Luck is yours. Nice post.

I find that the journey we take changes us both physically and emotionally. At 37 I see things this way.

It is hard to imagine how much wear and tear is impacted upon the human spirit from the time we take our first ride to the day we take our last.

I know that the feeling of the light spring breeze in the face and the warm sun upon the cheeks always renews my tired, winter beaten senses.

I feel too that renewal comes to those not afraid mount up again.

You are wise. well said.

Originally posted by vlad
started riding 1937

I am now 71. Bought a new Trek 8000 for my birthday in Sep.
Excellent for you.
My first ever cycle race last year (I'm 35) was in E grade and I came 2nd to a 70 year old. I was sort of shocked (becuase I'm no snail) but on the other hand deeply respectful of the fact that this guy was far from the nursing home and incontinence pads and the sterotypes associated with senior citizens. It was a real eye opener and one that I'm very gratefulk for. To all the masters out there on 2 wheels, keep it up, it gives me hope for the future.:)

I'm 30. I got a grey & blue Schwinn Stingray for my 6th birthday. Been hooked ever since.

later

Greg