What's your age, when did you start riding?

Roadrunner24 said:
I'm 21 and I guess I started riding a week or so ago. Of course I always had a bike as a kid, but I never rode much as an adult until recently. I got a Giant Iguana MTB and started riding it to work. So far I've put a Topeak rack and wedge bag on it. Next on the agenda is a set of slicks. I may end up with a road bike next year if the MTB works out.
Started riding in second grade. Commuted by bike throughout my high school and college years. Switched to road bikes in my freshman year of college. Recently didn't do any significant riding for about 5-6 years. Started riding again this spring when I got my recumbent. Now I'm back to commuting on a limited basis. I'm 53.

'bent Brian

I bought a decent bike and started riding again about 5 years ago when i was sixteen. NOthing serious, just for a mode of transport to work and college.

Then at the end of the summer bout 4 yesrs ago, me an a couple buds with mtn bikes decided to start seriously riding offroad. (I admit that LANCE was a strong factor, despite his passion for the road)

Next thing i know I've been in the dirt for 3 serious years including racing at the sport level now, and a 24 hrs as a team. And at the end of this summer its a solo 24 hrs babyyy. Epic XC in great terrain is where its at!!

Ride Hard -- always!!!

gwhunt23 said:
Hi all. I have been browsing these boards for a few weeks now, but I have not posted much because of my lack of knowledge of bikes. Just starting, but I came here to learn. And I'm young too.

It seems that I am the youngest that browse these boards. I'm only 13. I started riding when I was a little kid, but I am just now getting into upgrades and knowing beyond how to ride a bike and work the shifters.

So vote with your age, and post when you started getting into biking and making upgrades.
Hi

I started seriously riding when I was your age 13 and now I'm 31. I saved money and my Dad was annoyed that I was going to spend all of it on a used Specialized Sirrus ($300 almost two decades ago). Index shifting was just getting started and BioChain rings from Shimano were pretty big then. Eventually I was classified as a Cat3 racer but also subbed in some Cat2 races and also raced MTN bikes. I stopped racing when I had to start seriously focusing on college. Once my daughter is old enough, I hope to get back into racing with her.

Hope you catch a tailwind and safe riding,

Nicholas

Hey all, my first post here. I'm brand new. I've been watching the tour de France all throughout July and it has really inspired me to start cycling. Not only to help my overall health and fitness but I want to compete in races once I get good. I just wish I would have started when I was younger (like Lance winning a triatholon at age like 13 or somethin). My friends and I used to ride bikes all around the neighborhood a few years ago... (roughly 4 miles each time...) it was just for fun. But now I really want to train hard and compete. I actually just started a few days ago and thats why I sought out this forum. Tryin to get some tips and stuff from other riders.

I'm 17

Roche said:
I got my first bike off Santa when i was 3. The stableizers were off about 3 months later...or so legend has it. My "RMX" was the job. Blue with yellow trimmings and had wheels that looked like spinergys. i was always winning the races around the housing estate. Started racing at 13 but i was also playing tennis and football.... Raced seriously from 17. Riding internationally for the last 4 years. im 22.
Started in the early sixties on a 3 wheeler, gave up in the late seventies when I bought my 1st car and have just started again having reached 45 a couple of months ago and am now up to 75 miles+ per week.

bill

gwhunt23 said:
Hi all. I have been browsing these boards for a few weeks now, but I have not posted much because of my lack of knowledge of bikes. Just starting, but I came here to learn. And I'm young too.

It seems that I am the youngest that browse these boards. I'm only 13. I started riding when I was a little kid, but I am just now getting into upgrades and knowing beyond how to ride a bike and work the shifters.

So vote with your age, and post when you started getting into biking and making upgrades.

We coerced our son into doing a century ride when he was 14. He finished and felt a great sense of accomplishment. Keep up the interest and go for it. You can do it if you are motivated. Keep going and have fun.
We are in our late fifties and hope our grandson (less than a year old) can be induced to bicycle when he is ready. This is a sport that you can enjoy until you die.

jmcmillanut said:
Thanks for the "never stop riding" sentiment, Tacomee.

For the married folks whose spouses do not understand your love/obsession/infatuation with cycling, make it crystal clear that it is not optional. I took a 3-year hiatus from cycling after I got married. Just out of graduate school w/ a new career started and always busy with something family or work-related. Then I got back in the saddle and will never give it up again. Cycling has actually improved our marriage, due to the physical and mental boost I get when I'm in shape (as I can be) and riding.

It's a pleasure reading all of your comments.
JMc
Yes. Don't give up cycling because a spouse doesn't. You have a built in sag person! I am still a stronger rider than my husband and revel in that and hope I will always be able to keep that up, but I know if he chooses to train harder that I will no longer be able to beat him. Do rides with lots of places your wife can visit on the way and delight in having the perfect sag person.

Trekker2017 said:
I'm 55 now and started riding seriously when I was 41. At 40, I was in the hospital for some time with a bad pancreas and when I got out decided to do some things I had never done before. I bought a Trek 830 and bicycled to New Orleans to vist a friend then headed out to California to see my kids. (I'm divorced.)... When I reached San Francisco, I daughter (17 at the time) was terribly embarrassed. "Dad, parents are supposed to drive not ride bicycles..." I told her to tell her friends that I was a fat man with strong thighs and to get over it. Been cycling ever since.
Go for it. Never get to old. Enjoy life and keep on riding.

gwhunt23 said:

i started when i was 16. and im still 16.

i've always wanted to cycle, i've had the odd **** bicycle when i grew up and my friends always had better bicycles so i never bothered (prob cuase i was embarrased)
but this year, after the 2004 argus cycle tour i decided that i really want to cycle and i'm going to.
so i took a bank loan and bought myself a really nice Giant OCR3 2002 and i've gotten very serious into cycling.

21 might be late but at least i've finally done something bout my passion.
even gotten a cycling buddy (and looking for more) and even put up a web site.

we not exactly a club but more like a bunch of friends who cycle and enjoy it.

only kak thing is, we dont have as many cycling events (official fun rides) as we would like to have.:cool:

I'm 31 and have been on some sort of bike most my like. My last commuter was an '82 Schwinn Le Tour! Now that I'm married, work, and unfortunately commute long distances I haven't been able to bike daily. I recently discovered cycling as a sport instead of my main means of transportation. I talked my wife into our first 3 day charity ride. We had a great time and hope to do more.

cycling is great, and the more people you cycle with just makes it even more fun!

why dont u come visit cape town south africa and cycle the argus cycle tour *hint hint* :)

By the way, new to the forums. Look forward to talking with you all.

I only really started cycling about 5 years ago in high school. I didn't really get into it until though until college. I did mostly mountain biking, but participated in some road biking as well.

gwhunt23 said:

I rode around my suburban neighborhood when I was a kid. Then I did regular rides while in college, but had to borrow my brother's 10-speed since I was a poor college student. I always remembered those days fondly as the great hiatus lasted through a redirected focus on grad school, getting married, having young children and a slight detour as a golfer. Then when faced with the impending 40th birthday, I realized that I needed to recover some of the enjoyment of my youth. I got my bike last year, have been riding regularly and am loving it.

I'm fortunate to report that I'm still married and my children are interested in riding with me when they can. It'll soon be a family affair.

I look with envy at the guys on the road that are 30+ years my senior and still riding... and riding well. I aspire to be them someday.

Hope your road leads to the same happiness.

hi Gearshit and Fix,

hope you guys enjoy the forum and of cause, all the cycling you can do.
i assume u ready my post in this forum so i wont say anymore more than welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stiff Upper Lip said:
I wish that every city had safe places for people to ride. No cars. Wide and smooth bike only lanes. No joggers. No skaters...ah a dream!

You should check out Minnesota...but don't come in the winter!!

My age is 15 and i started riding when i was 6. i had a moongoose bmx bike. now i have a moongoose xr-100.

so how come the majority of people posting 2day seem to be juniors and yet i still dont have a training partner?!?! :mad:

I learned how to ride when i was a little kid of course but I am 21 now and I bought a road bike, helmet, shorts, pedals and shoes YESTERDAY so I'll say I starting "riding" yesterday. Needless to say I am a beginner who was inspired by my girlfriend who is a very good cyclist.