What's your age, when did you start riding?

Started seriously riding in 2001, and began on mountain bikes. Got reallly into that, but then decided to sell off the mounatin bike, and got my new Giant FSR 2. I am 20 now, and dont plan on stopping riding anytime soon. :D

I'm 18 this year. Started around 5 or 6. Went very serious somewhere around 13 till 15. Then stopped for a while due to other commitments. Got back to the sport recently. Got a lot of cycling buddies. Was from a local amateur biking team last time so knew a lot of good friends there.

I learned how to ride when I was very young 3 or 4 an a singlespeed BMX bike, a few years later when I was about 8 I got a trek mountain bike then when I was 12 my parents bought me a giant road bike I had that for a year before getting my Trek 5200 which I've had for the last two years.

gwhunt23 said:
Hi all. I have been browsing these boards for a few weeks now, but I have not posted much because of my lack of knowledge of bikes. Just starting, but I came here to learn. And I'm young too.

It seems that I am the youngest that browse these boards. I'm only 13. I started riding when I was a little kid, but I am just now getting into upgrades and knowing beyond how to ride a bike and work the shifters.

So vote with your age, and post when you started getting into biking and making upgrades.
I will be 41 in couple of weeks. Other than riding my old schwinn varsity in my early teens I just started biking a couple of weeks ago.

I have been jogging about 20 to 25 miles a week for the last ten years. After watching the TDF for a couple years I decided to switch to biking figuring it wouldn't be quite so punishing on my aging body. I am hooked!

After extensive research I bought a 2005 trek 1500 and love it.

There are a lot of great hills to ride around here (las vegas, nv) so I have been getting a great workout. My legs are holding up pretty well as a result of all the running.

Started riding when I was 9. Raced BMX in my teens.. I miss my Redline.

Now I'm 32years old, ride a Haro Escape 8.3 MTB and manage a bicycle website... and I love it!

cheers
Still Riding
www.bikes.com.au

I just turned 28 years old. I started riding BMX in Kindergarten, then moved into the streets, then freestyle, now I am in search of some quality mtn bike trails around the area.

Hey Superfly,

I live in Melbourne, Australia. Do you live in Oz or USA?

cheers,

STILLRIDIN'

SuperflyJenkins said:
I just turned 28 years old. I started riding BMX in Kindergarten, then moved into the streets, then freestyle, now I am in search of some quality mtn bike trails around the area.

United States Baby, representing the Midwest here in Detroit, Michigan.

Although I have been checking real estate there on the other side of the globe.

I started on a "shoecar" when I was about 2. I loved my ol' shoecar, and then it broke. I think one of my parents did it on accident - I can't remember all that well. Then I got a tricycle. I have a memory which I am sure isn't true, but its how I remember it - My brother tried to ride my tricycle off the roof of our house, and broke the front wheel (some serious tricycle hucking action!). For some reason, I remember a giant turtle of doom floating across the sky - that's what tipped me off that my memory is faulty on the tricycle. Then I got a Schwinn scrambler BMX bike (I think it was called a scrambler). I rode that all over the place when I was in grade school. I painted it several different times - my first experience (but not last) with painting my transportation means. Then I got a mountain bike in the 6th grade. I was so excited! I rode that thing all over my home town, and took some of my first trips on my own out of town. I was a chunky kid and I lost a lot of weight riding that around. I fell in love with bicycling at that point and got a paper route that had bullies and vicious dogs on it just so I could save up for another bike. It took me a year and a half, and then I had to have my folks chip in a little and bought a Diamond Back Ascent EX. At the time I thought I had the coolest bike in town. After that I just dug myself deeper and deeper into bicycles - I became a bike mechanic, started racing, and got into road bikes. I joined a club in college, and became TOTALLY burned out on riding. Then a few years ago my wife bought a bike, and I started to get into it again. Now I moderate my riding much more, but enjoy it as much if not more now than I did with good ol' shoecar. Especially since I no longer have to fear the floating turtle of DOOOOOOOOMMMMMM.

If there had been indexed shifting, and, the other equiptment we have today, I would have ridden a lot more........ a long time ago ! I accidently bought a Fuji road bike a few years ago at a yard sale for $80 that had indexed shifting. I did not know anything about indexed shifting, or road bikes before that. But, it was love at first ride. Next season, it was a Raleigh R-600, and from that point, only better, and better. Bicycle manufacturers should focus more on FITTING the customer to the bike, if they did a better job of that, more people would ride ALL the time. I see people struggling along, their seat too low, and, in a way high gear, thinking they are really getting into shape, when later, they are sore, and don't want to ride again. I feel sorry that they do not have the chance to really know the joy of a good bicycle.

Started riding a purple wide tyre bike with white walls and 'roll a lever' brakes age 4 or 5. Built my first at age 11 with my dad. Don't know what frame it was but it had Nervex lugs and weighed 19Lbs when finished. Have ridden Coventries, Clauds and Dawes plus a few of more suspect parentage. Used to ride into town every day now to far (44miles) :mad:
Doing the MTB stuff and a little roadie during the evening when I am not running. Age 41 for a couple of months longer.
I will not grow old, I refuse!! :D
Sniper8052

i am 33 and i got my first bike when i was about 6.

there was a couple of years in my teens when i didnt ride but apart from that i have been riding most of my life.

I'm 39, I race BMX and it's the best time I've ever had. I used to ride Sport Bikes(MotorCycles) and thought that was the ultimate ride but I was wrong. I race with 3 of my kids, it has brought my family closer together and created a whole different way of life for us. We are now building up Mtn Bikes for the kids for off season training. If there is a track in your area check it out you might get hooked!!

gwhunt23 said:
Hi all. I have been browsing these boards for a few weeks now, but I have not posted much because of my lack of knowledge of bikes. Just starting, but I came here to learn. And I'm young too.

It seems that I am the youngest that browse these boards. I'm only 13. I started riding when I was a little kid, but I am just now getting into upgrades and knowing beyond how to ride a bike and work the shifters.

So vote with your age, and post when you started getting into biking and making upgrades.
Started when I was 7 as it was the only way to get around a country town -and rode until I left for the city and got a car. Started back when I was 45 and have discovered its a feeling you never let go of completely ... but man, all the advances in materials and technology !!!! .. its great to have all the options and choice, but how to evaluate.

I'll be 41 in a couple weeks. I've been riding bikes since I was little, quit for a time when my kids were younger and now ride again. I use it for the cardio and many times, to get around.

Been riding since I was maybe 6, so that'd put me at 30 years riding. I didn't do much during college, but raced BMX & did freestyle in High School. Moved to Colorado in 93 and got into mountain biking for a few years, now I'm just getting back into cycling after racing all manner of (motorized) two- and four-wheeled vehicles and am loving it, again. Feels like coming home to a long-lost love... :)

Any one else notice the chronologically steady decline of cyclers (with a real drop in the college age crowd) in the graph? Hmmm...I wonder...is it that there are less cyclists in their upper years or less mid to golden-age computer using cyclists?